High School We've Got Spirit!...no We Don't.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Our school had zero spirit at pep rallys and games but our principal threatened to take away privilliges if they didn't show more spirit at the games and pep rallies. They actually started yelling more and are now enjoying games and pep rallies again. :)

something we use is to kind of bribe the students I guess, at football games the cheerleadersthrow out t-shirts, little footballs, stuffed animals, to get the crowd yelling

My old school was like that. My new school is amazing in spirit. Not just the cheerleaders or the dance team starting the cheers, the crowd does, even some parents. Try doing what my school does and every varsity football game we have the football players run down every buildings hall (there's 13) have drumline play and cheerleaders cheer and dance team dance. We even do that in the rain. Even better idea. We get some senior guys every year to have an un-official MANCE team. It's hilarious. I would upload the video but I don't know how to from my phone and not having tapa talk

At my high school at football games, front row in our stadiums is ASB and they ALWAYS play a huge part. We have certain cheers that are easy that they always chant to with us (ex: if you like it, say go big red, GO. BIG.RED. And of course ASB chants out the last part with us). When a couple people get involved everyone gets involved.

Also to keep the crowd include we have something called a get up cheer. Everyone in the stands sits in their seats while all the cheerleaders huddle together. Then, someone starts yelling out the class grades (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) and you stand up accordingly, then at the end we chant our team mascot at the end and everyone stands up at once and chants! There is a video on YouTube but I'm on my phone and can't link it right now, but I will when I get on a desktop. To teach everyone the cheer it's probably best to do it at a pep assembly.

Try to get ASB to help out, cause they do A LOT for my school

Get some students together and possibly start a chant that becomes typical at the beginning of football games. Maybe get a group of students together that work with the student council and establish certain themes for the student sections at games, like white outs, black outs, etc. It creates a really fun atmosphere and I love to do it! Here's a vid of our student section last year at an away game doing our signature chant with a white out theme:

Get some students together and possibly start a chant that becomes typical at the beginning of football games. Maybe get a group of students together that work with the student council and establish certain themes for the student sections at games, like white outs, black outs, etc. It creates a really fun atmosphere and I love to do it! Here's a vid of our student section last year at an away game doing our signature chant with a white out theme:

WOAAAAAH that looks like so much fun! I wish our student section was this big! What's the white stuff they toss up? o.o

Our homecoming week is insane... Our decades day is probably one of the most crazy days so you could try having a really over the top 80's day (whistles, boom boxes, senior exercises) Try not to get in trouble though.. Our decades days our too crazy so each year they become more strict..
Also, for our football games we have a "blue crue" and it's actually our student section/club. They have their own section in the stands & is pretty legendary. We usually do a cheer in front of them & throw out footballs. Bribing always works ;) Our engineering academy also built a tshirt launcher a few years back and gets a lot of attention. Anything you can do to bribe them to be spirited works, but a good football team is also a great help :)

I
WOAAAAAH that looks like so much fun! I wish our student section was this big! What's the white stuff they toss up? o.o
The white stuff is baby powder, flour, silly string, hairspray, balloons, anything white really haha. It was a ton of fun! It was completely organized by a group of seniors last year and throughout football season, it was pretty cool. I'm probably gonna be on the committee for school spirit next year, I'm so excited!:)

We do that too. Later once I can get on a computer I'll upload the MANCE team video

The school I coach at doesn't have an issue w school spirit, they seem to have an issue with the cheerleaders! Our crowd is sooo rowdy at games and the atmosphere is amazing and then as soon as the cheerleaders do anything, you could hear a pin drop! I just don't get it! The team is amazing,we have gone to state for the past several years, they do sick visual stunts and tumble like beasts and we literally don't even get a clap out of anyone in the stands. I wish this was an exaggeration but it's not. What's worse is the dance team performs right after us at halftime and everyone goes wild for them.

It's so disheartening, and its hard to keep the girls motivated when they literally get zero support from the fans!

We have a dodgeball tournament! You take a team made up of people from each class and have them all play each other and then the winning class goes against the teachers. Everyone gets really into it! Also if you can get some guys from each class to do a dance routine they can all perform them in front of the school. They're usually really funny and everyone loves them.

These are the seniors from my freshman year!

This video just made my day! Thanks for sharing - what fun!!

My high school definitely did not have a lot of spirit when I went there - mostly because of the lack of success our other teams were having. We (the cheerleaders and dancers) started doing fun little timeout dances that many of the people in the student section learned and did too! We always would do them to a popular song - like in 10-11 (my last year on the team) we did dances to "Magic" by BOB and "Dynamite" by Taio Cruz.

At our school, to get a bigger crowd is to do theme nights at the games! Like pajama night, pink night (breast cancer awareness), spirit night, etc! Another thing is rallies to win prizes or gift cards, on game days make posters and hand beads or bracelets in your school colors out during the day. At our games we throw out beads and mini footballs during the games. At basketball games we have a "Wolf Pack" which is the student section, and before the game starts some of the players hand out a mini basketball that they signed to the student section. Before every football game (even away ones) all of the students and some parents and cheerleaders make a tunnel down the hill for the football players to walk through with trucks behind them "rolling coal" and over the speakers plays Here comes the boom by Nelly! Also even when your losing you have to keep up the spirit and so will the crowd !! Hope this helps !!

Last edited:
To help our crowd (at basketball games) every Friday night home game we have a theme (white-out, 'Murica, superhero) and a costume contest at halftime with a Starbucks gift card as a prize. We also use punch cards. At halftime of the girls' and the guys' games, the student spirit leader gives everyone's card a punch. This is a rewards system (5- snack from concession stand, 25- tshirt) It really helps that our school has a pretty good crowd to begin with, but these things we've implanted really help boost spirit!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back