What Are Spanky Pants?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 4, 2012
My new roommate came with me to the gym and was wearing the cutest zebra spandex shorts. I know she cheered in high school so I assumed they were bloomers. I asked her if they were and she looked at me like I had 3 heads. She had no idea what I meant by bloomers. I said "the thing you wear under your cheer skirt" and she said "yeah. wait, what did you call them?"

She had never heard the term 'bloomers' before. It's just as well. I mean, her team calls them 'lollies' & when I first heard her say that I really thought she was messing with me. I've seen Bring It On, so i've heard them called spanky pants and spankies, but i'm curious as to what you guys call them.

Used to call them lollies and spankies. Now mainly spandex. Never heard them called bloomers.

Bloomers is what we call them North of the Mason-Dixon. When I got to college I was surprised to hear them called Lollies/Lollipops (ewww!) or Spankies.

My new roommate came with me to the gym and was wearing the cutest zebra spandex shorts. I know she cheered in high school so I assumed they were bloomers. I asked her if they were and she looked at me like I had 3 heads. She had no idea what I meant by bloomers. I said "the thing you wear under your cheer skirt" and she said "yeah. wait, what did you call them?"

She had never heard the term 'bloomers' before. It's just as well. I mean, her team calls them 'lollies' & when I first heard her say that I really thought she was messing with me. I've seen Bring It On, so i've heard them called spanky pants and spankies, but i'm curious as to what you guys call them.
When I did cheer in grade school they were called bloomers! Now I call them spankies!

Spandex. Or as Nike calls them "compression wear" But in HS our coach refers to them as bloomers. All Stars usually refer to them as spandex.

I never heard them called anything different until I got on fierceboard.

When I cheered rec in my young days they were called bloomers. When my daughter started Allstar cheer our owner called them bloomers. Haha I'm ok with spanks or spandex but I could never ever call them lollies!! It just sounds weird to me.

At our new gym in Texas I haven't really heard what they called them... But I know when I was in Tennessee I always heard the word bloomers.

To add to that apparently every one down here in Texas thinks I'm extremely country...so maybe country people just like to call them bloomers!? Haha idk I'm curious if any Tennessee people call them lollies?

I've always called them lollies. Or spanks. Around here, almost everyone I know calls them lollies. For instance we use them in show choir, and everyone refers to them as lollies. Though now that they're all built in, there's really no need to refer to them separately

We always called them bundies

But I think that word sounds weird. Just say it: BUNDIES--ick.
I call them spandex now.

Back