All-Star What Is Happening To Our Sport?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't necessarily see how this would be a joke or make us seem like a joke? It sounds like an interesting competition. I don't think Paula Abdul's name being attached to it makes it any less legitimate. In fact, she has access to resources that could really make it a great event. If we can have new and exciting opportunities like Champions League, etc for the cheer elite then why not something fun like this for the unwashed masses? It sounds like a new format for ALL to enjoy--not something only for an exclusive few. Ill give it a chance for sure. Heck there is one happening in my neck of the woods so I may do some research and consider adding this to our schedule.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Her "background" was being a HS cheerleader, a Laker Girl, and a dance choreographer. None of which has anything to do with All Star cheer. All those classes will cost money, just like they do at dance conventions.
And is everyone forgetting her other background of being perpetually impaired?!

Would you prefer Miley Cyrus? She was a competitive cheerleader, so she must know the ins and outs of cheerleading. :p I'm not trying to be snarky by any means, so please don't take this that way! But let's face it. At the end of the day, Paula Abdul has A LOT of money and probably has very little say in how this is going to be run. I'm sure she's teamed up with some very knowledgeable people to make this work, or she will have wasted a lot of time and money. I doubt she'd be willing to do that. Plus it was mentioned that she has contacted many reputable gym owners to see what they'd like to see at a competition. The event will be tied to her name and that's about it. It's not like she's on the judging panel. I'd be way more worried if I found out she was a guest judge at a competition than if she was hosting one. It sounds like she's really just trying to make the competition experience more enjoyable for those involved.

@HeresAThought Oops! I thought it was the "Jackson 5" Victory Tour but, you are correct, it was "The Jacksons" Victory Tour she was assistant dance director. Anyhow, I would have loved to have gone to that, too.

I saw it! Atlanta... I was probably 4th/ 5th grade. Coolest experience ever!!

I'm at least interested in the comp. Looking forward to hearing about it.

I think it sounds interesting. I would be willing to attend one to see what the experience is all about and of the workshops are worth the money. Unfortunately I am in the west coast so I guess I will have to wait for one to come our way.

I saw it! Atlanta... I was probably 4th/ 5th grade. Coolest experience ever!!

I'm at least interested in the comp. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Jealous! My mom saw the Jackson 5 on their first tour.

I got tickets to Michael Jackson's memorial services in LA when he died ( the televised one) and went so....theres that. :/

I am not saying it will work, but I think that a lot of people are focusing on her history of impairment. Personally I think here is a woman that was a professional dancer/ high school cheerleader/ choreography and has made a massive career for herself. I am not saying she is a role model but the woman has done a lot in her life that she can be very proud of, and I agree that trying something new with All-star comps is not a bad thing. If this ups the game of EPs - as a consumer that is not a bad thing to me. MY one concern is that at comps our gym makes a point of supporting our teams so would that be lost when you go to workshops during the comp? Regardless I think it is great to have new things be tried out - especially when they are trying to make an effort to hear what is desired (I like that she met with gym owners). Options are not bad as long as it does not exploit the kids. This endeavor from reading sounds like they are actually trying to make a difference in the lives of CPs through the workshops like nutrition- if that occurs then I could see this being a positive experience. Paula has a history of eating disorder and perhaps she sees this as a way she can help prevent other girls from going down the road she has been on. I think there is nothing wrong with giving it a chance.

Im guessing the cheer and dance combined will be high kicks and high V's. I think she WAS a good dancer and choreographer but Im not holding out too much hope for all of this.

MY one concern is that at comps our gym makes a point of supporting our teams so would that be lost when you go to workshops during the comp?

I think it would be like at dance competitions, you have workshops in the mornings and compete in the afternoon, so that way no ones having workshops when other teams are competing.

I think that maybe she can bring a lot of positives to the all star community... giving athletes and their parents (who feed most of their kids crap) a wealth of knowledge of the importance of things like nutrition and possibly conditioning is amazing. I applaud her for pursuing a dream of hers and look forward to seeing how she impacts the community.

I think that maybe she can bring a lot of positives to the all star community... giving athletes and their parents (who feed most of their kids crap) a wealth of knowledge of the importance of things like nutrition and possibly conditioning is amazing. I applaud her for pursuing a dream of hers and look forward to seeing how she impacts the community.
I would have shimmied you had you said that maybe she would give the parents and athletes a variety of healthy foods to eat at competitions rather than the usually crap they serve there.

Back