What Would You Do If In This Situation At A Comp.?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

CrossoverMom

Cheer Parent
Dec 12, 2012
My first post! On Saturday, my CP and I attended our 2nd ever all star cheer competition. She is on the Youth and Juniors teams. While sitting in the seats, a mom from a much larger gym started talking very loudly about our gym to the mom's in the seats behind me who were also from her gym. This was after our Youth and Senior awards, after our Juniors competed, but before their awards. It went something like "We are definitely going to win Juniors, that other team was so bad, who were they anyways, the only reason their youth beat ours....etc" I was unsure if I should have taken off my jacket and shown her my team shirt and defend our tiny little gym? Well I did nothing. Their juniors were good and we did have a stunt bobble, but still. At awards we placed first anyways, but I can't stop thinking I've done my child a disservice. I know everyone talks about other teams, but I assumed they would keep it to themselves.

What would anyone do if they heard another team's parents talking smack about their kid's performance/gym at a competition?

The best is when a gym from where I live goes to a competition in Miami and the gyms start talking crap about you and you have a mom whose last name ends in "EZ" that understands spanish. Also, when gyms from Miami come to our area and start speaking spanish. That is when "EZ" stands up for her gym and from that point forward "No one messes with EZ"

Coming from a small sometimes unknown gym , I have had my share of people talking smack- but who goes home with the trophy...they will remember who you are now that they just lost to you . Very funny story about 9 years ago my daughters team beat a very well known gym and the coach of this gym stood on the mat and said to another coach -who the f@@@k is (inset our team name here) and i walked past him and said were the team that just kicked yo a** hahahah its about who goes home with the trophy, your daughter faught her own battle that day without even knowing it!

Coming from a small sometimes unknown gym , I have had my share of people talking smack- but who goes home with the trophy...they will remember who you are now that they just lost to you . Very funny story about 9 years ago my daughters team beat a very well known gym and the coach of this gym stood on the mat and said to another coach -who the f@@@k is (inset our team name here) and i walked past him and said were the team that just kicked yo a** hahahah its about who goes home with the trophy, your daughter faught her own battle that day without even knowing it!
I love it! You go girl! You are my kind of Cheer Mom!

oh my gosh, priceless. what I would give to utter those words to the people that talk smack about my teams..

I'd be the bigger person here and be quiet. My friend told me a story on how this season a local gym (closer than the one his sister goes to compared to our school) mom put some bags all over him and he took them off and put them on the floor. That lady got mad and it ended up in a cat fight with the lady and his mom... :confused:

Thanks! I can stop feeling guilty now :) I didn't want to talk about it with the other cheer moms at our gym, fearing they would fault me for not speaking up. This board is awesome. Happy to be a part of it.

I agree you did the right thing by keeping quiet. I just shake my head and bite my tongue lol! I agree with everyone but it shouldn't be about who wins or takes the trophy either... I would rather my child cheer and learn the meaning of sportsmanship!

I agree you did the right thing by keeping quiet. I just shake my head and bite my tongue lol! I agree with everyone but it shouldn't be about who wins or takes the trophy either... I would rather my child cheer and learn the meaning of sportsmanship!

Agreed! I'm glad my 10 yr old cp did not hear it. She's in this sport to gain confidence, not shatter it. At least for this, her first season. Next year I'm sure she can handle it, but her confidence is still shaky right now.

It's a tough call. You don't necessarily want to sit back and let them talk nonsense esp if there may be a child around to here it. But I have also seen some pretty aggressive conversations. You can never tell which way it is going to go so I think you did the right thing! Welcome aboard....best wishes for a fantastic 1st season and many more!!

I would have at least taken my jacket off so they could see what gym you are from. I would have given them at least an evil stare but probably not worth speaking to,arguing with PCM's is like running on a hamster wheel, they'll never admit their wrong and just keep on arguing...

I would have turned around and smiled (with a sideeye) and said" Thanks, but I think OUR team did awesome" and would have sat down.

Back