OT What's Your Degree?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I'm only a senior in high school so this is kinda off track, but I can't decide between speech pathology & audiology, business, or nursing (if I do nursing I would like to be a PICU nurse)

I'm a freshman and I'm pre-nursing, but I'm torn between that or international studies. My dream would be to find a way to combine the two so I can do some sort of nursing education in Africa.

i don't know too much about nursing in regards to international work, but i know there are numerous grad schools that had an MPH/Peace Corps program where you enrolled in the school, took some classes and then went overseas for the peace corps for 2 (i think 2) years while still earning credit toward the masters. when the peace corps time was up, you came back for graduation. it's something i heavily looked into prior to deciding what i wanted to do/where i wanted to be. i wouldn't be surprised if there was something similar for nursing. if not, there's always Project HOPE, Nurses for Africa, or Nurse Without Borders that you could do a volunteer trip with. I don't know about long term careers with those organizations but you could always volunteer with them, build your resume and see if it's something you really want to do long term. good luck!

i don't know too much about nursing in regards to international work, but i know there are numerous grad schools that had an MPH/Peace Corps program where you enrolled in the school, took some classes and then went overseas for the peace corps for 2 (i think 2) years while still earning credit toward the masters. when the peace corps time was up, you came back for graduation. it's something i heavily looked into prior to deciding what i wanted to do/where i wanted to be. i wouldn't be surprised if there was something similar for nursing. if not, there's always Project HOPE, Nurses for Africa, or Nurse Without Borders that you could do a volunteer trip with. I don't know about long term careers with those organizations but you could always volunteer with them, build your resume and see if it's something you really want to do long term. good luck!
I agree. I would get the nursing degree and look into the rest while you are in school.

I'm only a senior in high school so this is kinda off track, but I can't decide between speech pathology & audiology, business, or nursing (if I do nursing I would like to be a PICU nurse)

My mom is a speech pathologist. When I was looking at graduate programs I briefly considered it (and social work) but decided against it.

My mom is a speech pathologist. When I was looking at graduate programs I briefly considered it (and social work) but decided against it.
I have an audiologist so I've always been kinda intrigued (I guess that's the word I'm looking for) into this area & don't really know what I wanna do anyways

I have an audiologist so I've always been kinda intrigued (I guess that's the word I'm looking for) into this area & don't really know what I wanna do anyways

I know Flexiii_Lexiii that is always seem to be a shortage of Speech Pathologist and Audiologist in the different school districts in my area and I heard this was probably all over. I was going to try to speculate why this is at the moment, but I'm not! It could be just the sign of the time now... But those are 2 good career choices...

Back