When Did You Start All Star Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

JJ Mom

Cheer Parent
Mar 19, 2012
My CP is only 5 and she loves cheer. If she could go to practice, tumbling class, or a competition everyday she would. She likes watching cheer on you tube and cant wait until she is on the bigger girls team:0 When did your CP get involved in cheer and when did you realize this was there thing versus something that just want to do for a moment. Also did you start at a big gym or a small gym?

Thanks

My cp started at 5. Which was 2 seasons ago. She is now 7 and ready for the 3rd season!! Yay

My cp was similar to yours. She lived for the gym and her tumbling classes. She started on a tiny team with kids that had been doing it since they were 3. Some were in their 3rd season. My cp came in and had her back bend kick over before everyone. I think that day she fell in love because she realized she could actually do this and pick up quickly.

She had tried ball before this and she was ok but she wasn't much of a runner. She didn't care for that much outdoor time so I thought this was a good fit for her. She absolutely loves it. I know she loves cheer and dancing and performing but her favorite things hands down is tumbling. You can stick her in the back of the routine and she wouldn't care long as she had a fierce tumbling pass! Lol

We started at a medium sized gym I guess. When we were they they had a little bit over 100 athletes. We weren't that competitive we just had fun though.

However we moved and we are starting this year at a different gym and they are amazing and very competitive. They are around 150 I think but they will do great things.

Your cp sounds amazing!

Eta: if I could of been at this gym 2 years ago I think would have been the best decision in the world. I'm that happy!

We started when my oldest daughter who is 14 now was 5, we did a year of "Hot Tots" (tiny rec) and then did a few years of all star ending on Junior 3. Her time was all at a small gym in AZ (AZ Heat). When we moved to Texas, my middle one was doing gymnastics but decided after watching CA at Worlds in 2009 that she wanted to cheer. So we did one year at CA and then moved to Spirit the next season. So we went from small gym to large gym back to small gym! LOL

my oldest started when she was in 1st grade, it was a smaller all star gym and that was the youngest team they had. She is a sophmore in high school and has cheered all-star ever since (we are at our 3rd and the largest gym). Her younger sister also started when she was in 1st grade and has been cheering every year as well. There was 2 seasons that they both double teamed so we were at the gym every night but they loved being there.

My CP is 3 years old and just finished her first season. We started at a smaller gym that was close to our home so that she could cheer on the exhibition team- to see if she liked cheering & could handle performing in front of lots of people. Well, she LOVES everything about it! Even loves watching all the youtube videos! (Just like your CP) We start our second season next week, where she will be on Tinys at a much larger gym.

My CP is only 5 and she loves cheer. If she could go to practice, tumbling class, or a competition everyday she would. She likes watching cheer on you tube and cant wait until she is on the bigger girls team:0 When did your CP get involved in cheer and when did you realize this was there thing versus something that just want to do for a moment. Also did you start at a big gym or a small gym?

Thanks
I started when I was 5, but the comp season didn't start till I was 6. Im in my 10th season! I started when there were not really any 'levels', it was novice, pee wee, intermediate, & advanced, so I got thrown right onto a youth novice team.
My first flyers were actually Maddy & Molly Gibbons of Senior & Coed Elite :)
I started at Cheer Extreme, and actually just started my 3rd season with my smaller gym, Carolina Spirit Athletics. :)

Started Rec in fourth grade. I went to a camp at the small local all star gym and loved it so i did another season with rec in addition to all star. I stayed there until sixth grade. The next season I went to Maryland twisters and I am going into my third season and I love it!!!

Thanks
Our kids sound so familiar. My cp started in a small gym when she was 6. We stayed there until she was 9 but it was obvious that she was born to do it. As a 6 year old she got annoyed with her teammates if they weren't focused in practice. She got the most improved that year and stretched at home, made me spot back walkovers in the living room all season. It wasn't just a past time.

That hasn't changed. We moved her to a place that could really support and build that fire and boy howdy have they! When she came she had a round off connected to two junky back handsprings. After they fixed her she moved up, competed jr 4 last year and has a beautiful high set hollow body, technically correct layout that she's working to get as consistent as they require so she can start to spin. (i love that about our gym...it is perfection before progression and they mean it). She's 12 but with how her layouts look now, she'll be spinning by December.

She actually was awarded the program athlete award last year because she lives I the gym, fills in for any team that needs someone(even in practice shell go help a stunt group with a missing base if she's not doing anything but working on tumbling skills by herself) she doesn't miss practice and actually does two tumbling classes a week. Yours sounds a lot alike.

My son started at 10 in the gym are with now. He had NEGATIVE (like...ignore that child on the tumble track that looks like me....were not related) tumbling skills :D he's now caught his sister in three years. He has triple jumps to a tuck, standing tucks, a crazy high (like change the light bulb while you're up there) set to his tuck and is working layouts. He's got a beautiful punch front through to a layout on the tumble track but it's not ready for the floor yet. Our banquet is today and I'm sortof thinking he's about to pick up either the leadership or most improved award for his team .... Too bad he's in Washington dc and not here :)

Their collective goal is to compete at worlds. I have no doubt with our gym (which is only 3 years old but already fielded our first level five and they debuted our program at worlds this year). They both want to be level 5 next year and I'm pretty sure that will happen at their current rate of progression. Best of luck... They are soooo adorable when they're that little! I adore watching our Tinys!

My cp started at 5. Which was 2 seasons ago. She is now 7 and ready for the 3rd season!! Yay

My cp was similar to yours. She lived for the gym and her tumbling classes. She started on a tiny team with kids that had been doing it since they were 3. Some were in their 3rd season. My cp came in and had her back bend kick over before everyone. I think that day she fell in love because she realized she could actually do this and pick up quickly.

She had tried ball before this and she was ok but she wasn't much of a runner. She didn't care for that much outdoor time so I thought this was a good fit for her. She absolutely loves it. I know she loves cheer and dancing and performing but her favorite things hands down is tumbling. You can stick her in the back of the routine and she wouldn't care long as she had a fierce tumbling pass! Lol

We started at a medium sized gym I guess. When we were they they had a little bit over 100 athletes. We weren't that competitive we just had fun though.

However we moved and we are starting this year at a different gym and they are amazing and very competitive. They are around 150 I think but they will do great things.

Your cp sounds amazing!

Eta: if I could of been at this gym 2 years ago I think would have been the best decision in the world. I'm that happy!
OMG I think about this all the time. I kick myself for hind sight. If I hadnt spent three years at a gym that I didn't realize didn't know how to coach tumbling....then spend 18 months fixing her...she'd be spinning right now. Oh well, at least now she's progressing correctly :)

Back