When Is It Time...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think the answer to this one will be different for many people. If you're talking about just time to move on it can be a combination of you don't like how the program is run, lack of age and skill appropriate teams, coaching styles that don't work for your child., or even just not getting along with the other family

When talking about out growing a program it could be lack of skill appropriate teams again, lack of competitive drive if that's what you're looking for, and in some cases even not having coaches that can teach higher level tumbling and stunting skills.

I am guessing there'll be many other different answers.

**Welcome to Fierce Board, where we all enjoy ADHD just a....LOOK SQUIRREL***

When your CP is no longer challenged, is bored and/or doesn't enjoy doing where she/he is at. They should always progress and learn new skills. No one can answer this except you and your family.

I think that your CP will be able to tell you if she feels like she wants to move on, depending on how old she is. I agree with the other responses, not enough teams, clashing with the coaches/families, too expensive, your CP doesn't enjoy it... the list goes on and on. I know that for me, and important thing is that the gym treats everyone equally, and doesn't just cast you aside if you aren't bound for Worlds. Talk to your child and ask them how they feel about it.

IMO a big red flag re: outgrowing a gym is when you are worried that there won't be a team where your CP can use their highest skills - and not because your CP doesn't MAKE that team, but because there aren't enough other kids in the entire gym w/ that level of skill to make a competitive team.

And when you got to wait to see who shows up or not at tryouts to know if this will be the case or not, that's kind of a bad sign too even if it works out one year, cause that's a sign that every year this may be a concern.

IMO a big red flag re: outgrowing a gym is when you are worried that there won't be a team where your CP can use their highest skills - and not because your CP doesn't MAKE that team, but because there aren't enough other kids in the entire gym w/ that level of skill to make a competitive team.

And when you got to wait to see who shows up or not at tryouts to know if this will be the case or not, that's kind of a bad sign too even if it works out one year, cause that's a sign that every year this may be a concern.
This is exactly what I am talking about. We are in the "just wait and see" mode right now. My daughter is Sr level 5 at a growing gym, but I am afraid that it is not growing quickly enough for her. It's certainly not the case about not getting on the team she wants. There are so many gyms in our area of NC that we do have options. However, we started at this gym many years ago and we don't want hurt feelings. Our concern is that girls or boys will be placed on the team to fill out the stunt groups, not because they possess the necessary skills for level 5.

It's a combo of when you're concerned about the ability to field a team and when you KNOW your kid is not going to be challenged or interested in a team at a lower level.

Ex: There are kids who JUST got Level 4 skills, are at gyms with no L4 teams, but are fine on Level 3 because the skills they have for Level 4 are very much still emerging. They're not solid and another year of Level 3 is not going to hurt them.

However, when they've done another year of Level 3, they've solidified their Level 4 skills, and they're faced with the prospect of Level 3 AGAIN, now they're not only uninterested, but unchallenged.

This is exactly what I am talking about. We are in the "just wait and see" mode right now. My daughter is Sr level 5 at a growing gym, but I am afraid that it is not growing quickly enough for her. It's certainly not the case about not getting on the team she wants. There are so many gyms in our area of NC that we do have options. However, we started at this gym many years ago and we don't want hurt feelings. Our concern is that girls or boys will be placed on the team to fill out the stunt groups, not because they possess the necessary skills for level 5.
Do what is best for your cp. Your loyalty should always be to her first over the gym. How does she feel? Does she want to explore other options or is it all you at this point?

Probably very similar to when an adult is deciding it's time to look for a new job.

Probably very similar to when an adult is deciding it's time to look for a new job.
So when is it time to look for a job? Just kidding... Well kind of...should I get a new job?!?

I feel like good coaches will want to see their athletes move on if their gym isn't ready to move up with them. And also, be wary of a gym that might push to a higher level just to keep up with some of their athletes. My experience has been that it is rarely successful, and often seems unsafe.

YES. I know that you might feel like a gym is your family but the last thing you want is for your gym to TRY and field a Level 5 just to satisfy you.

That's how you get a Level 5 team that is really Level 3 + a full and some layouts.

YES. I know that you might feel like a gym is your family but the last thing you want is for your gym to TRY and field a Level 5 just to satisfy you.

That's how you get a Level 5 team that is really Level 3 + a full and some layouts.
They will find out who their real family is if they leave.

**Welcome to Fierce Board, where we all enjoy ADHD just a....LOOK SQUIRREL***

At this point, my CL wants to leave. She loves her teammates, but is tired of working "so hard to get nowhere". She is 15 and has been on level 5 since she was 12. First it was restricted, then made the jump to a worlds level. They didn't even get a bid to Worlds, much less have a shot at making it to finals. Not everybody can win, we get that...but we'd like to be able to get a bid to the show when the routine is performed with zero deductions. Why is it so hard to move on? 10 years is a long time to be at one gym with the same coaches. Loyalty is pretty much non-existent where we live and I've been trying to teach my CL this character trait. This is why we (I) am so torn. My heart vs my head...

This may sound snarky and I REALLY don't mean it to be:

Think of it in terms of your family's sacrifice in time and in terms of your bank account. I have been where you are in trying to make this decision. Mine wasn't level 5 but still I was completely torn. It was extremely hard to leave. I still love our first gym, always will. The loyalty is there but in the end I realized that expressing my loyalty should not come at the expense of the rest of my family (time) and bank account. If I continued with our first gym out of loyalty then that was some very expensive loyalty.

Back