When To Start Teaching Ro Bhs Tuck?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 28, 2015
Just wondering when most coaches start working on ro bhs tuck's. I prefer to start working on them when the athlete has a solid ro bhs multiples and can do level 2 combo passes; but I know some coaches will start working on them after the child has a solid ro bhs. What works the best for you in your experience?

I wasn't allowed to start working on them until I had a solid rbhs series so I'd go with that route.

ETA: This was my middle school coach (and later she moved up JV, then Varsity) but we weren't allowed to start any sort of tucks until we had a solid back handspring, rbhs, standing bhs series, running bhs series, and toe touch bhs. Personally I liked this approach. You could really see a technique difference in my classes tumbling compared to the grades below us when there was a different middle school coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sahil (Addicted to Tumbling) says an athlete should have a solid RO double BHS at the very minimum before working on RO BHS tucks.

At our gym, you need a solid standing 3 BHS with enough rebound for a tuck, along with the same for a round off series.

Could anyone explain why their coaches require 3 BHS instead of two? Is it to guarantee that a kid will have enough power to throw a tuck when they start learning them?

Could anyone explain why their coaches require 3 BHS instead of two? Is it to guarantee that a kid will have enough power to throw a tuck when they start learning them?
I am not a coach, but from what CP's coaches tell met that is pretty much it. At our gym they require a clean standing 3 with a good rebound because the theory is that if you can consistently do that then you have consistent handspring technique and sufficient power to handle most of what could go bad learning a ROBHS tuck. The standing handsprings force them to use correct technique to build power in the handspring rather than relying on the RO to get them there. Requiring 3 HS after the RO is the same idea, you might be able to gut out 2 from the power the RO gives, but it starts to get hard to keep going after that if you aren't building power in you HS.

You need to have a good block out of your backhandspring before you start working on sets and tucks. If the kid can do multiple back handsprings but the quality of the backhandsprings decreases as they do more, that's a sign they have a bad block and need to work on their BHS technique before moving on. All the BHS in a series should look identical, or if anything get better as more are done, before moving on IMO.

That said, some kids have amazing sets out of round offs but stuggle w/ BHS blocking. I've occasionally seen kids like these taught round off tucks before they are ready for ROBHS Back Tucks.

Our gym will not teach RO tuck before ROBHS tuck. The coaches say that the RO forces the set and makes it harder to learn ROBHS tuck properly. You automatically set for a tuck out of a RO but you have to learn to set out of a BHS.

Our gym will not teach RO tuck before ROBHS tuck. The coaches say that the RO forces the set and makes it harder to learn ROBHS tuck properly. You automatically set for a tuck out of a RO but you have to learn to set out of a BHS.

My CP's no hands tumbling out of a round off is her weakest - she actually has more power out of a standing handspring than a running round off. Weird, huh? DD was at a gym who was very pro round off tuck before robhs tuck (also weird) at the time when she became "ready" to work tucks. I think it delayed her tucks by months because they wouldn't let her just work it out of her ROBHS like most gyms do. So she finally got the psuedo crappy tuck out of the RO good enough for them to let her try it out of the ROBHS and suprise, it was really good right away. My inner SM was quite annoyed by the situation at the time, now it seems silly though ;).

Interesting fun fact though about round offs versus round off backhandsrpings - nastia luikin's 2008 Olympic floor routine doesn't contain a single backhandpring - she does all her back tumbling out of a round off.

Back