OT Where Were You 13 Years Ago Today?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I was only 2 years old at the time. My family was living in Italy at the time because my dad was in the Navy. I don't remember a thing about the day but my mom told me my older sister (5 years old) kept asking "why do they keep flying into the tower" (because they kept replaying it) We only had 3-5 channels, and that's all that was on so me and my sister weren't allowed to turn on the TV. We lived on a Navy base, and my dad was off base that day. That base had SO much security measures that day. My dad typically took a bus from the work to the base entry, then the bus drove him to the apartment areas. They wouldn't let the buses onto the base... So my dad had to walk like a long way to get to the apartments and got home super late. I think we were on lockdown for a few days. It's weird for me to think I wasn't even in the US at the time...
That's so strange because I was 2 at the time too and I don't remember a thing, but my mom always tells me that my brother kept telling her that they played the same movie all day. It's probably better that I was too young to think about it because my mom works at a nuclear power plant and I would've been worried sick. Another story she's told me is that she was talking to a guy at her work once and he said that he was on a base at the time and that you don't break the sound barrier unless something super serious was going on and they broke the sound barrier. I get serious chills every time I hear either of those stories

I remember I was at home sleeping through it. The night before I had injured my back at cheer practice, so my mom let me stay home from school to rest. I remember I slept on the couch in the living room that night bc of the way I needed to lay for my back. She came home at lunch to check on me and bring me a sandwich. When she woke me up she told me and we watched the TV. It was surreal for sure. I can't remember if it had all happened by the time I saw or if we watched as the 2nd plane hit. It's one of those memories that your not sure if you saw it actually happen at the time on TV or if you just saw replays 100s of times.

I've visited NYC 3 times since and have gotten to look at the memorial in stages throughout the years. I can't fathom how scary it must have been to be there at the time. I can also remember flying pre 9/11 and how much everything changed after.

Back