High School Which High School Camp Will Your Squad Be Attending This Summer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think we will be at that camp too!.....that is if the head coach doesn't switch it up on me last minute. Jerry has been pleading with her for us to switch back to UCA pine forest but I'm not convinced. Plus, I loved the NCA camp we had to switch to last minute last year....

I think we will be at that camp too!.....that is if the head coach doesn't switch it up on me last minute. Jerry has been pleading with her for us to switch back to UCA pine forest but I'm not convinced. Plus, I loved the NCA camp we had to switch to last minute last year....

It depends on which one of the family of camps you go to. Even though they have the same material presented pine forest is known to be a bit more woodsy atmosphere. But if you were going to Bryn Mawr before trail's end is a pretty similar place and a lot of amazing teams go there.

MASS CONFUSION.

For NCA All American, did they change the requirements to even just be considered for nomination ?
Our buddy asked us who had "running tucks" and we told him which was 2/23 girls going into their sophomore year - we then said we have lots of seniors and juniors interested and he said he was only nominating girls with tucks.

WELL, when we watched all-American try outs I saw girls go up there, do a cheer and jump, and then sit down. No tucks.
So sure enough my seniors and juniors looked at me like I had failed them because they are under the impression I chose those two underclassmen. I would have had all 5 at least be nominated for the experience.

I am trying to figure out if this was our buddy's matter of opinion and we failed our seniors as coaches, or if they only nominate girls with running tucks? No the upperclassmen wouldn't have received an all American award but, I just found it to be super strange and not very clear on if he only nominates people with tucks under requirement? or if it was his own prerogative/opinion like, "why nominate a girl if she isn't going to get it"

Disclaimer - I don't think that everyone deserves a trophy, or just because they are seniors they should just get a ribbon. I just found it to be strange.

MASS CONFUSION.

For NCA All American, did they change the requirements to even just be considered for nomination ?
Our buddy asked us who had "running tucks" and we told him which was 2/23 girls going into their sophomore year - we then said we have lots of seniors and juniors interested and he said he was only nominating girls with tucks.

WELL, when we watched all-American try outs I saw girls go up there, do a cheer and jump, and then sit down. No tucks.
So sure enough my seniors and juniors looked at me like I had failed them because they are under the impression I chose those two underclassmen. I would have had all 5 at least be nominated for the experience.

I am trying to figure out if this was our buddy's matter of opinion and we failed our seniors as coaches, or if they only nominate girls with running tucks? No the upperclassmen wouldn't have received an all American award but, I just found it to be super strange and not very clear on if he only nominates people with tucks under requirement? or if it was his own prerogative/opinion like, "why nominate a girl if she isn't going to get it"

Disclaimer - I don't think that everyone deserves a trophy, or just because they are seniors they should just get a ribbon. I just found it to be strange.

I haven't staffed a camp in two summers so it may have changed, but tucks were never a strict requirement for nomination.

You can be nominated for jumps. I nominated for really clean, technically correct, hyperextended jumps.

You can be nominated for stunting. This is reserved for really stand out stunters, and the whole group doesn't have to be nominated. So if someone is a bomb top girl, backspot, secondary base, or main base, they can get nominated for that.

As for tumbling, what is "nomination worthy" depends on the camp. If you have a ton of fulls at the camp, you won't nominate anyone with less than a layout. If you only have teams with round offs with a couple backhandsprings, you'll nominate the kids with backhandsprings.

You can also be nominated for dance. These are the athletes that pick up the dances really quickly and are the "student demos" during the dance class.

You can also be nominated for leadership. These tend to be upperclassmen, but I've nominated younger athletes before.

As a staffer, I had camps where the coaches would ask me to take a second look at girls (or boys but I rarely had coed teams) that they thought deserved a nomination. Sometimes I would nominate them, sometimes I wouldn't.

But @yooolizzi will have a more recent insight to this than I have and she can correct anything I may be wrong about since I haven't staffed in so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't staffed a camp in two summers so it may have changed, but tucks were never a strict requirement for nomination.

You can be nominated for jumps. I nominated for really clean, technically correct, hyperextended jumps.

You can be nominated for stunting. This is reserved for really stand out stunters, and the whole group doesn't have to be nominated. So if someone is a bomb top girl, backspot, secondary base, or main base, they can get nominated for that.

As for tumbling, what is "nomination worthy" depends on the camp. If you have a ton of fulls at the camp, you won't nominate anyone with less than a layout. If you only have teams with round offs with a couple backhandsprings, you'll nominate the kids with backhandsprings.

You can also be nominated for dance. These are the athletes that pick up the dances really quickly and are the "student demos" during the dance class.

You can also be nominated for leadership. These tend to be upperclassmen, but I've nominated younger athletes before.

As a staffer, I had camps where the coaches would ask me to take a second look at girls (or boys but I rarely had coed teams) that they thought deserved a nomination. Sometimes I would nominate them, sometimes I wouldn't.

But @yooolizzi will have a more recent insight to this than I have and she can correct anything I may be wrong about since I haven't staffed in so long.

Thank you for the insight, I look forward to hearing from @yooolizzi as well :)
I am 90% sure I read somewhere that after nominations are handed out, coaches are given the opportunity to pick three others of our choosing to be nominated - I could be wrong.

Thank you for the insight, I look forward to hearing from @yooolizzi as well :)
I am 90% sure I read somewhere that after nominations are handed out, coaches are given the opportunity to pick three others of our choosing to be nominated - I could be wrong.

When I was on NCA staff that wasn't the case, I believe that is how UCA staff does their nominations. But like I said, it has been a while so I could definitely be wrong!

aww fun! What team ? Lots of talent at our session - we were there the 8,9,10 :)

NASHUA Titans,that wasn't the team at camp it's open to anyone who wants to try out only two girls from varsity went this year,a couple from JV and the rest are planning on trying out. What team do you coach?

Coach who went to an NCA camp this year here. I think it's variable on the camp. Our buddy asked us if there was anyone they'd skip over that they'd like us to look at. There is no number or amount of nominations per team nor was there a tumbling requirement.

NASHUA Titans,that wasn't the team at camp it's open to anyone who wants to try out only two girls from varsity went this year,a couple from JV and the rest are planning on trying out. What team do you coach?

SHS --We are in a rebuilding period right now, there have been multiple coaching shifts the last couple years but I am here to stay so hopefully we will start being more competitive. The skill is totally there its just a matter of confidence and precision :)

Last edited:
Coach who went to an NCA camp this year here. I think it's variable on the camp. Our buddy asked us if there was anyone they'd skip over that they'd like us to look at. There is no number or amount of nominations per team nor was there a tumbling requirement.

Yeah I didn't think there was. That's really discouraging. We had a great time and learned a lot but the all-American thing was super confusing. I'm starting to think it was the buddies matter of opinion and especially after we expressed we had a senior and a junior interested in trying out it just seemed kind of odd.

Back