All-Star Why Can't You Wear Nail Polish To Competitions?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What happens if the girl is wearing fake nails? I can think of a couple of teams that have girls with acrylic or gel nails on. What if the EMT needed to look at her nails?.. how would that work?

My guess would be toes. Usually that would just be regular polish.

Wow! I never really put that much thought into why nail polish isn't allowed at competitions. It all makes since to me now. I must say, i do compete with acrylic nails that are clear, that's allowed right (since there isn't any polish) ? At least 85% of my team always wear acrylics and some even compete with french manicures.

At least in rec cheer (sideline and Comps) we can't have it because
1. It can flake off and get into the bases eyes...
2. Unless everyone matches it looks like crap. exspecially if your uniform is, lets say, black and gold, and a girl is wearing neon pink polish. It just doesn't look right.

Regardless, it's a rule that should be known before the athletes compete. This should be made aware when the athletes try-out and reminded before they compete. It's like any other rule, might not make sense but the penalty is known beforehand so when you don't follow the rule and get the deduction, that's too late.

You can use a pulse oximeter with nail polish, and while checking nail beds is one way to watch oxygenation there are many more. It's just a story used to convince people to follow the rule because if it isn't uniform it looks tacky, people are more likely to comply of the think it's a safety issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you pass out during a competition, get knocked out or something of that nature, to check if you are still conscious, an easy way is to look at your fingernails. i'm guessing that under it it will turn a different color when you are unconscious. so, it's a safety precaution. so i've heard
Checking capillary refill is just a test of circulation. If the nail beds are bluish they could just be really cold (happens to me all the time) or could be an indication of decreased oxygen saturation. However, most pulse oximeters today work fine with nail polish.

I thought this wasn't a rule anymore, girls on my team even used to get acrylic nails for comp...?¿

Someone has been reading some old threads. Lol

**Someones feeling like Oprah. Dislikes for all**

I thought this wasn't a rule anymore, girls on my team even used to get acrylic nails for comp...?¿

I've seen that, and it freaks me out. All I can think of is someone's acryllic coming off and ripping the nail off with it. Just blood, pain and inflammation.

*shudders*

I've seen that, and it freaks me out. All I can think of is someone's acryllic coming off and ripping the nail off with it. Just blood, pain and inflammation.

*shudders*

Yeah, I have always been told, initially by the people who work in nail salons!, that acrylics are unsafe for atheletes involved in sports like gymnastics and cheer (where there is stunting and tumbling) for this reason. I'd imagine basketball and softball would be similar. Acrylics are just so strong they don't break off at the tip like a natural nail would do in most cases, a fresh set would likely just take the whole nail w/ it - eesh that is awful to think about :/. Of course, I wouldn't want my kid stunting w/ long natural nails either cause who wants nails dug into their calf/ankle or shoulders when a flyer or base needs to grab on to each other?

Maybe if the acrylic nail was really short where it would be impossible for it to come in contact w/ a floor, other person, bar, ball, vault, beam, etc. in such a way that it would be ripped off violently I guess it would be okay, but usually acrylics are longer.

As for the polish - I had no idea about this oxygen levels thing. Guess you really can learn something new every day. I kind of thought that rule was silly cause here I am putting 10 pounds of makeup and hairspray on my kid so she looks like a bratz doll, but heaven forbid she has on a little nail polish? ;). It's a rule for gym meets too though so that does make me think theres a good chance that is the reason. Swimming isn't as dangerous as cheer and gymnastics so I don't think it would be as important for that. However, if boys wore nail polish, I bet it would be a rule for football too.

Back