All-Star Why Is Flying On The Right Leg The Norm In Cheerleading Now?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 29, 2010
i've always wondering this... i find it curious.

i know not all teams fly on the right leg but the majority do.

how come?

back in the day it was more common to fly on the left leg right? what happened that made teams switch over to using the right leg more and what year?

I don't know, but it drives my CP nuts because she prefers to pull everything with her right leg. Last year she had a beast bow and arrow on her right side, but can't use it, so she stopped practicing it :(

Most coed bases are right handed, so "1-arm" stunts are typically easier for them using their right hand (flyer stands on their right leg). The standard kind of "trickled down" from what most colleges were doing.

Also, most people twist "left" and this direction is done more easily from right leg stunts.

we used to fly on the left leg because our flyers were predominantly more flexible on their right side.

But they were stronger on their right side (similar to BlueCat 's post about coed bases except we are mostly allgirl here) , they could step up, lock out and stabilise better on their right leg.... they just had to go home and work on their flexibility.
and as a secondary base i would much rather base a right lib with my right hand supporting most of the weight under the foot, i hate being on the wrong side in pyramids i feel so weak!

are there any videos of some routines where the flyers are fierce and flying on the opposite leg?
that's a good question!
Crimson Heat was pretty fierce back when they flew on their left leg, but they now fly on their right leg too (I think they started this in the 10-11 season). But here's some from when they did fly on their left legs.

5 Alarm

Fire

haha i tried i got told off lmao at age 22 and a successful coach i still get told off by the head coach!
Then she is just silly. Why change what already works? Just because someone is on the other leg doesnt mean you need to change how you do things.

Then she is just silly. Why change what already works? Just because someone is on the other leg doesnt mean you need to change how you do things.
not to work i am a back spot this season and im in the middle of the pyramid so all is well. my junior team base what ever way is safe, legal and gets the stunt to hit!!

Back