All-Star Words Of Advice For Gym Party Reveal

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I started Kindergarten at age 4 (private school that allowed kids to start early if they passed the admissions screening.) I didn't turn 5 until December of K. I didn't turn six until halfway through first grade. Because of my birthday, I ended up being six going into second grade (again, December birthday.)

So, there's me being six in second grade. It didn't really affect cheer because all stars didn't exist yet, and our local Pee Wee/Rec where I cheered split us up by grade (so I was 6, but still on the 1st/2nd grader squad.)

However, whenever I did day camps, art clubs, I ALWAYS got put in with my age group (4-6.)

I'm sure you can imagine how incredibly boring it is to go to a day camp where kids color all day and learn "A is for Apple" when you have been reading for about a year and a half. lol.

All of that to say, depending on the kid, there is a big difference between 3 and 5, 4 and 6, etc.

Thanks so much for the kind words.

The time to leave for practice has come and gone and I'm now trying to figure out how to word her 'I quit' letter without sounding like an SM. She came home from school today, took one look at her practice wear and started bawling. At this point, it's just not worth it and I've now turned to actively telling her that it's okay to not do this this year. It basically broke down to the fact that she no longer believes she's good enough to cheer, which kills me because I know she was placed by age, I've tried telling her she was placed by age and showing her where athletes were placed by age on the meeting paperwork, but she isn't really getting that right now or doesn't believe it. Either way, this season is ruined for her before it even began and my heart feels like it's bleeding.

I'm so sorry she's going through this!
If possible, I would go to the gym tonight and speak with the owner or coach, whichever seems appropriate, and just tell them what the situation is. Of course don't make it sound like you're quitting if you don't get your way - because I know you're not - but maybe they can help come up with a solution. Give them a chance to try.

And good luck!

I think if you tell them the just of what you told us they will understand. And maybe they'd even take into consideration of moving of moving her up an age bracket if they knew how this has happened.

Eta: I don't think your story sounds anything like a SM story. I think they will understand completely if you give them the full story of how her age holds her back, she isn't being challenged, and she is ready for something more which is why she is frustrated by having to spend another year doing tinys. Personally I would add how she was hoping for youth so she could be challenged and learn something new. Maybe they will get the hint and find a place for her on an older team or just give her an option that isn't just tinys.

I managed to write the email in a way that I don't sound like a Big B while conveying her problem. I asked her if she wanted to go to the gym just to talk to her coach and I was met with a mini panic attack, but is have no issues going up on another night when I can get a sitter for my girls. At this point though, the fact that they don't have a mini team at all is my biggest issue...she's too old for Tiny's, but can she hang with 10-11 years old? I'm just not sure.

I managed to write the email in a way that I don't sound like a Big B while conveying her problem. I asked her if she wanted to go to the gym just to talk to her coach and I was met with a mini panic attack, but is have no issues going up on another night when I can get a sitter for my girls. At this point though, the fact that they don't have a mini team at all is my biggest issue...she's too old for Tiny's, but can she hang with 10-11 years old? I'm just not sure.

Maybe not, but it means the world to her to have the opportunity. If it doesn't work out, she may then be more open to the other options

Is it a youth 1 team? Does she have solid level 1 tumbling skills? I definitely think there are quite a few 6 almost 7 year olds that can perform quite well on a youth team especially if they have prior all star cheerleading experience. Good luck hopefully the situation will work out for her.

Maybe not, but it means the world to her to have the opportunity. If it doesn't work out, she may then be more open to the other options

Maybe, time will tell. I'm gonna give her a week or two to digest and realize the full weight of her decision, if she's still comfortable with it the local rec team is doing sign-ups the week after next and on Thursday I'm gonna get a packet for the Mini Prep dance team at her sister's studio to read over.

I did let her know that if she decides she wants to go back next year, we'd be supportive of that decision to.

Is it a youth 1 team? Does she have solid level 1 tumbling skills? I definitely think there are quite a few 6 almost 7 year olds that can perform quite well on a youth team especially if they have prior all star cheerleading experience. Good luck hopefully the situation will work out for her.

It is a Y1 team; they did a new cheer program within the AS that was supposed to be a mix of like half-season and AS, so the LVL 1 Youth and Senior are being referred to as "Beginner Level 1" at a flat rate where you don't buy uniforms, instead you rent, and it's cheaper. As for tumbling, she struggles with her FWO still but otherwise yes. She's never stunted as a base over LVL 1, but used to practice with a class that did LVL 2/3 stunts that she flew for. That is pretty much the extent of her stunting experience outside of like adult based co-ed type stuff.

Well, we found out tonight that the gym isn't fielding a Mini's team at all this season which immediately placed her on Tiny's. She managed to leave the gym with only a few fallen tears, but cried herself to sleep in the car on the way home. At this point, she's supposed to start practice this week and I've put the ball in her court---I'm not sure she's going to be cheering this year. :(
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that! My daughter is technically still tiny age because she has yet to turn 6 but we specifically chose a mini team at one gym over a tiny team at another so she would be challenged. For us this worked out to be a good choice and I am so sorry that you do not have this option. After my cp's first week of practice with her new mini team she is bored because they are doing forward rolls, jumps, and cartwheels when she is throwing back handsprings so I really sympathize with your daughters situation and I feel bad that it is so upsetting to her. I hope she will make the decision that is best for her. Keep us posted.

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that! My daughter is technically still tiny age because she has yet to turn 6 but we specifically chose a mini team at one gym over a tiny team at another so she would be challenged. For us this worked out to be a good choice and I am so sorry that you do not have this option. After my cp's first week of practice with her new mini team she is bored because they are doing forward rolls, jumps, and cartwheels when she is throwing back handsprings so I really sympathize with your daughters situation and I feel bad that it is so upsetting to her. I hope she will make the decision that is best for her. Keep us posted.

Yeah, it's definitely been a rollercoaster type of week.

Thankfully her old cheer coach from MO, is now where we are and back in the cheer business instead of just gymnastics, and is going to get me info on her gym---it's only an hour drive, which isn't nearly as bad as some of the others, but also let me know about another gym within county that I didn't even know about. I sent in an e-mail to get some more information about how they do placements for the younger teams. Maybe something good with come from it, we'll see.

Maybe, time will tell. I'm gonna give her a week or two to digest and realize the full weight of her decision, if she's still comfortable with it the local rec team is doing sign-ups the week after next and on Thursday I'm gonna get a packet for the Mini Prep dance team at her sister's studio to read over.

I did let her know that if she decides she wants to go back next year, we'd be supportive of that decision to.

It is a Y1 team; they did a new cheer program within the AS that was supposed to be a mix of like half-season and AS, so the LVL 1 Youth and Senior are being referred to as "Beginner Level 1" at a flat rate where you don't buy uniforms, instead you rent, and it's cheaper. As for tumbling, she struggles with her FWO still but otherwise yes. She's never stunted as a base over LVL 1, but used to practice with a class that did LVL 2/3 stunts that she flew for. That is pretty much the extent of her stunting experience outside of like adult based co-ed type stuff.
I obviously don't know your daughter personally and haven't seen her skills however I know most youth 1s in most areas are also occupied up with a bunch of other tiny and mini age kids. ours actually all did quite well and they are a really young y1. I didn't think they looked any worse off then the couple of real youth aged kids on the team because you sure couldn't tell a difference otherwise! I would definitely check with your gym, I bet it would be awesome for her to be moved to y1. And I hate the age change for her especially! :( good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's definitely been a rollercoaster type of week.

Thankfully her old cheer coach from MO, is now where we are and back in the cheer business instead of just gymnastics, and is going to get me info on her gym---it's only an hour drive, which isn't nearly as bad as some of the others, but also let me know about another gym within county that I didn't even know about. I sent in an e-mail to get some more information about how they do placements for the younger teams. Maybe something good with come from it, we'll see.
I'm glad that your looking at other options (gym wise) and are excited about it again. Your daughter is young so if she's already thinking about leaving cheer, then do what's best for her. Or wanting her to keep that love for the sport. If that means switch gyms because they may place by skill and/or age, then do it. It's also sad that she thinks she's not good enough when your gym place by age. Not all kids are the same so don't feel bad that she took it so hard and wanted to quit. Or that she should take it easy since she's 5. I don't think your a SM now or ever, so again do what you feel right is for your cp- whether it's picking a new gym, staying at your current one, taking a year off, or doing other activities. Hope everything works out for you and your cp.

I obviously don't know your daughter personally and haven't seen her skills however I know most youth 1s in most areas are also occupied up with a bunch of other tiny and mini age kids. ours actually all did quite well and they are a really young y1. I didn't think they looked any worse off then the couple of real youth aged kids on the team because you sure couldn't tell a difference otherwise! I would definitely check with your gym, I bet it would be awesome for her to be moved to y1. And I hate the age change for her especially! :( good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's less an issue of skill and more to do with how the conversation could backfire. CP's issues with being a Tiny is 1. it's not a challenge and 2. she does not want to cheer with kids as young as turning 4 in July. However, if bumped up she then becomes that 4 year old in the equation with her age being the 11/12 year olds at the top end of Youth. In other words, why is it okay for there to be a large age gap on one team, but not the other. And unfortunately I have talked to more than a few moms who have tried to have their kids move up just one age group (Tiny to Mini last season) and told no every single time, so while I am completely and willing to talk to the coach/owner, I'll expect a no. The perfect solution for a kid in this spot would be a mini team, but since her gym isn't offering it there isn't a real way I can see her gym 'fixing' this. I definitely won't trash the gym, she was happy while she was there and from a coaching standpoint I had absolutely no problems, but since she's only been there since like December, I don't feel a undying amount of loyalty to the program...if this were her old gym, I'd struggle more with her decision because there would be history, at this place, there just isn't.

I'm glad that your looking at other options (gym wise) and are excited about it again. Your daughter is young so if she's already thinking about leaving cheer, then do what's best for her. Or wanting her to keep that love for the sport. If that means switch gyms because they may place by skill and/or age, then do it. It's also sad that she thinks she's not good enough when your gym place by age. Not all kids are the same so don't feel bad that she took it so hard and wanted to quit. Or that she should take it easy since she's 5. I don't think your a SM now or ever, so again do what you feel right is for your cp- whether it's picking a new gym, staying at your current one, taking a year off, or doing other activities. Hope everything works out for you and your cp.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm definitely trying to get as many ducks in a row so we can sit down and talk about options. She's too active of a child to do nothing so I already know in 2 weeks time she'll be bouncing off the walls, and I'm perfectly happy with signing her up for a rec styled team, dance, gymnastics, heck even soccer if she wanted, but at least I found another gym that could be an option and is only about 10-15 minutes longer than what we already drive so it's not as bad.

It's less an issue of skill and more to do with how the conversation could backfire. CP's issues with being a Tiny is 1. it's not a challenge and 2. she does not want to cheer with kids as young as turning 4 in July. However, if bumped up she then becomes that 4 year old in the equation with her age being the 11/12 year olds at the top end of Youth. In other words, why is it okay for there to be a large age gap on one team, but not the other. And unfortunately I have talked to more than a few moms who have tried to have their kids move up just one age group (Tiny to Mini last season) and told no every single time, so while I am completely and willing to talk to the coach/owner, I'll expect a no. The perfect solution for a kid in this spot would be a mini team, but since her gym isn't offering it there isn't a real way I can see her gym 'fixing' this. I definitely won't trash the gym, she was happy while she was there and from a coaching standpoint I had absolutely no problems, but since she's only been there since like December, I don't feel a undying amount of loyalty to the program...if this were her old gym, I'd struggle more with her decision because there would be history, at this place, there just isn't.

If your gym doesn't have a mini team this year, that means there will be other mini-aged kids on the youth team. I think the age gap is much smaller between a 7 year old and a 10 year old than a 4 year old and a 7 year old. Most 4 year olds are only in half-day preschool and still take naps! They aren't self-sufficient and have short attention spans. A 7 year old, like a 10year old, is in school for the same amount of time during the day. They are relatively self-sufficient and can handle paying attention during a 90-minute to 2 hour practice. The top end of a youth team may be 11/12, but the majority of kids on a youth team are not going to be at the top end of the age division.

I am sure you will find the right solution for your CP this season!

If your gym doesn't have a mini team this year, that means there will be other mini-aged kids on the youth team. I think the age gap is much smaller between a 7 year old and a 10 year old than a 4 year old and a 7 year old. Most 4 year olds are only in half-day preschool and still take naps! They aren't self-sufficient and have short attention spans. A 7 year old, like a 10year old, is in school for the same amount of time during the day. They are relatively self-sufficient and can handle paying attention during a 90-minute to 2 hour practice. The top end of a youth team may be 11/12, but the majority of kids on a youth team are not going to be at the top end of the age division.

I am sure you will find the right solution for your CP this season!

I completely agree with everything you said, I just know it's an argument that will get made sadly. :(

Back