All-Star World Bids

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 21, 2011
A question about bids. If you are awarded an at large bid and then later in the season get a paid bid.What happens to the at large bid?Does it go back to the competition that awarded it to you. Does the competition that you gave the bid back to give the bid out to the team that was next up at that original competition?

Is it just me or does it appear some teams take the at large bid as a kind of security blanket when they know they will likely get a paid bid. I say if you take a bid you're done.

Is it just me or does it appear some teams take the at large bid as a kind of security blanket when they know they will likely get a paid bid. I say if you take a .bid you're done.

There is a difference in "likely" and "guaranteed". We have had multiple teams try all season for a paid bid, not get one, but still go on to win Worlds (or a medal) using their at large. There is no guarantee that any team will just magically "know" they will end up with a paid bid. MANY great teams at several gyms have NOT ended up getting a paid bid when everyone just assumed that they would eventually.

There is a difference in "likely" and "guaranteed". We have had multiple teams try all season for a paid bid, not get one, but still go on to win Worlds (or a medal) using their at large. There is no guarantee that any team will just magically "know" they will end up with a paid bid. MANY great teams at several gyms have NOT ended up getting a paid bid when everyone just assumed that they would eventually.

I undertand exactly what you are saying. My opinion is if you take a bid that is the one you keep.

All that would do is create more teams at Worlds. The way bids are awarded now, many of the at-large bids awarded have disappeared because teams have gotten paids. If you look at the at-large bids from WSF I think only 1 or 2 are still going on at-larges. Those bids have disappeared...less teams at Worlds.

All that would do is create more teams at Worlds. The way bids are awarded now, many of the at-large bids awarded have disappeared because teams have gotten paids. If you look at the at-large bids from WSF I think only 1 or 2 are still going on at-larges. Those bids have disappeared...less teams at Worlds.

We don't limit teams at NCA or Cheersport. Why should we be limiting teams for Worlds? I know we want Worlds to be more prestigious than the other events but some teams don't have the funds to attend several bid events like others do and I feel some good teams get left out because of this. Not a lot but some. Again it is just my opinion.

Is it just me or does it appear some teams take the at large bid as a kind of security blanket when they know they will likely get a paid bid. I say if you take a bid you're done.

I think there is a difference between what fans, families and teams believe vs their coaches. Most coaches that I know are not so presumptive to assume they will get a paid bid. Most. By taking the At Large they insure they will at least have the opportunity to go to Worlds if something happens and they do not get a Full Paid or Partial paid bid. When they take an At Large knowing they would never attend unless it was a Partial or Full Paid then I think that is a problem. We talked about this in another thread and IIRC it was posted in that thread that USASF accounts for attrition or bid loss anyways in their formula. So if it goes away it does not hurt their projected $$$ bottom line, but it stinks for those teams that would be happy to go on whatever bid they could get.

We don't limit teams at NCA or Cheersport. Why should we be limiting teams for Worlds? I know we want Worlds to be more prestigious than the other events but some teams don't have the funds to attend several bid events like others do and I feel some good teams get left out because of this. Not a lot but some. Again it is just my opinion.

If a good team gets 'left out' perhaps their coaches should do a better job at selecting what competitions they attend. Or perhaps they aren't ready to compete at that caliber. Ive seen SEVERAL teams that also COULD HAVE got a bid, but there routine was not hitting easy aspects of a scoresheet. Cheersport and NCA are NATIONALS.... Not Worlds. I have to respect, but strongly disagree with your opinion.

Is it bad that I thank those teams who take the at large bid and then upgrade. I almost thank them for decreasing the number of bids out there and teams going to worlds. :oops:

Is it bad that I thank those teams who take the at large bid and then upgrade. I almost thank them for decreasing the number of bids out there and teams going to worlds. :oops:

I definitely think it comes down to competition selection. Could Cali Moed have flew to GLCC last minute and won a paid bid? Probably. But I'm sure the plane ticket, entry fees, hotel rooms, food, and misc expenses for that trip to get the paid bid would have added up to cost as much as going to worlds. There are always gonna be amazing teams that sort of miss out on the free trip unless they super strategic about where to pick one up towards the end of the season.

I undertand exactly what you are saying. My opinion is if you take a bid that is the one you keep.
So you propose forcing coaches to gamble with their team and their hopes of going to Worlds. Coaches would have to gauge their chances of getting a paid bid later against the risk of having a bad performance and not getting to go to Worlds at all.

What would be the benefit of switching to your get-a-bid-and-your-stuck system?

I definitely think it comes down to competition selection. Could Cali Moed have flew to GLCC last minute and won a paid bid? Probably. But I'm sure the plane ticket, entry fees, hotel rooms, food, and misc expenses for that trip to get the paid bid would have added up to cost as much as going to worlds. There are always gonna be amazing teams that sort of miss out on the free trip unless they super strategic about where to pick one up towards the end of the season.

I agree! You can get a paid bid (or at large bid if that is what you seek) just by planning your comps strategically. BUT... is that the way to get a bid? I mean if it takes strategic, hit all those smaller late season comps to get your paid bid, are you going to do any better at Worlds than you would have on an at large bid that you earned at a competition in December (other than automatically advancing in some divisions)? If you hit up a late season comp and earn an at large bid because the other 200 teams who scored better than you already had at least an at large bid, does that really make you a better, more competitive team than you were when you competed earlier in the season and didn't get an at large bid?

If a good team gets 'left out' perhaps their coaches should do a better job at selecting what competitions they attend. Or perhaps they aren't ready to compete at that caliber. Ive seen SEVERAL teams that also COULD HAVE got a bid, but there routine was not hitting easy aspects of a scoresheet. Cheersport and NCA are NATIONALS.... Not Worlds. I have to respect, but strongly disagree with your opinion.

Fair enough. None of it is perfect, I know that.

So you propose forcing coaches to gamble with their team and their hopes of going to Worlds. Coaches would have to gauge their chances of getting a paid bid later against the risk of having a bad performance and not getting to go to Worlds at all.

What would be the benefit of switching to your get-a-bid-and-your-stuck system?

It would leave more bids available for other teams. Please understand this is just my opinion and I didn't think it would go over this well;)

Back