All-Star World Champs Get Automatic Bid?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2010
This was posted in a thread, and as I replied, I decided I'd rather start a thread about it than talk about in the Battle thread... But, it was too late. So, i'll do this anyways :)

Someone in the Battle thread suggested that reigning world champs should get an automatic paid bid to the next year's world championships...

Here was my reply that I absolutely stick by:

sorry i know this is a battle thread... BUT... I couldn't agree any less with this idea. Let's look at the reigning world champs' rosters. if any team has more than about 50% of their team back, I'd be stunned. Not the same teams, not the same scoresheets, not the same will to win the bid that particular day/weekend. Earn your paid bid... every... time. Prove you deserve that money. Let's not forget, folks... this is real money. It's not $25,000 anymore, but it's still a TON of money. earn it. Last year's team doesn't deserve this year's payday. If they did, then JR should have the year off from music, and get every other year off.

Thoughts, friends?

What if the bid was similar to an at large and the team could still try for a paid?

I sort of view it like major golf tournaments where a past winner gets an automatic bid to play in the same event for the next several years. I realize I am comparing a one person sport to a team sport where the whole team could change over, but in my opinion I wouldn't see the harm in awarding the current world champion an automatic at large bid to next year's Worlds.

I sort of view it like major golf tournaments where a past winner gets an automatic bid to play in the same event for the next several years. I realize I am comparing a one person sport to a team sport where the whole team could change over, but in my opinion I wouldn't see the harm in awarding the current world champion an automatic at large bid to next year's Worlds.

the problem is the 'current' world champion may change divisions, the governing body might change or create new divisions, and there is the potential that ever single athlete on a team this year had never been on the floor or at that gym last year. why do athletes who have never been affiliated with a gym before earn what other athletes did last year? look at panthers. they are clearly very talented this year and last. but besides the name the team has at least 10 kids who were not world champions last year, and I am sure there are more because of injury, aging out, or just newer better athletes coming in. there is no practical way to do this and really it doesn't make much sense.

I disagree. Odds are, if they are world champions, they're going to get a bid anyway next season. If you go into next season knowing you've already got a bid, what is going to be their motivation? I feel like it's more rewarding when you have to earn it.

I agree with Kingston. When I started reading this my first thought was "What about Panthers and Obsession?". Both won their divisions (small senior and large limited); both changed divisions this year. So should they both just get a pass to worlds even though they both are in STACKED divisions? No way! Fight for the right to be at worlds! EARN IT! I also agree that as a world champion team, you should have the talent to get a bid anyway; that doesn't mean you should "just get one" though. Part of the fun/anxiety of the season is pushing yourself to earn a bid to worlds (I'm assuming that, since I don't cheer anymore). Thats just my opinion though.

There is no way to give out 10 paid bids automatically (cost of almost $200,000). I think an at large bid could be given easily. But as stated before, I don't think any senior team has ever gone and won from an at large bid. So it would just be a waste.

I like that idea, offer an at large bid in the same division. If they change div or upgrade then the deal is off.

Just wondering if there is a team that won Worlds one year that did not receive a bid the following year? Unless they outright closed down I can not think of one right now. I understand that some programs may have switched divisions but that is the nature of this sport.

There is no way to give out 10 paid bids automatically (cost of almost $200,000). I think an at large bid could be given easily. But as stated before, I don't think any senior team has ever gone and won from an at large bid. So it would just be a waste.

I don't have a problem with receiving an at large bid. It would also mean that one of those teams don't take an at-large bid at a competition that's probably going to go to waste anyway. Like Shooting Stars in Providence last year - I know they turned down a bid so another team got it instead, but would everyone decline in hopes of getting a paid bid? Probably not.

I like that idea, offer an at large bid in the same division. If they change div or upgrade then the deal is off.

It would still come down to who is paying for the bid. No event producer would pay for it as they want the draw of that gym to attend THEIR comp. A team that has won gold should have no issue geting a bid the following year. Do you know of any team that won Worlds one year and did not get a bid the next?

Back