All-Star World Champs Get Automatic Bid?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would not have a problem with reigning champions having an automatic at-large bid. Giving the team the opportunity to defend their title, but still having to earn their paid bid. However, I do believe every reigning champion (should or would) be able to obtain an at-large bid. However, no other sport does this. The Green Bay Packers do not have an automatic "in" to the playoffs, just because they won last year.

I would not have a problem with reigning champions having an automatic at-large bid. Giving the team the opportunity to defend their title, but still having to earn their paid bid. However, I do believe every reigning champion (should or would) be able to obtain an at-large bid. However, no other sport does this. The Green Bay Packers do not have an automatic "in" to the playoffs, just because they won last year.

Golf does it. That doesn't make it a good idea for cheer, though.

Everyone should be on the same playing field when a new season begins. Handing a team a paid bid just for the previous team's success would really devalue the integrity of the work and effort it takes to get a worlds bid, and what it means to be there.

I'd just incorporate my "modest proposal" altogether and get rid of bids to Worlds. If you complete in "x" number of sanctioned "Worlds-qualifying" comps in a year, you can attend on your own dime. Competitions would be about getting the partial or full paid travel package to worlds.

I personally think there shouldn't be bids but you qualify for worlds by placing high enough at many events.

Short version if you get first at a tier 1 event you get 50 points. Second 25.

Then we say you need 60 points to qualify to compete at nationals.

That's the short not thought out version.

I personally think there shouldn't be bids but you qualify for worlds by placing high enough at many events.

Short version if you get first at a tier 1 event you get 50 points. Second 25.

Then we say you need 60 points to qualify to compete at nationals.
you would need 60 points to qualify to compete at nationals or worlds? and so you are saying every team that would qualify for worlds would go on their own dime?

I think you have to earn points to qualify to compete at worlds. I think it's weird you could have a team compete one time in September, get a bid, then take 10 completely new people that are gym members and go to Worlds. It makes the bid process a matter of searching for te easiest bids to win. My way you would go to multiple competitions (encouraging more competition) and consistency.

I think you have to earn points to qualify to compete at worlds. I think it's weird you could have a team compete one time in September, get a bid, then take 10 completely new people that are gym members and go to Worlds. It makes the bid process a matter of searching for te easiest bids to win. My way you would go to multiple competitions (encouraging more competition) and consistency.

This could really be a financial burden on teams that are still in the "developing" areas of the country. In Georgia, you all have BUTBT and CheerSport right in your backyard. Here in Kentucky we're a two hour drive from Indy. However, in the Northeast, there are really no "Tier 1" competitions and it's a huge expense to travel to your Worlds qualifiers. The idea is cool though.. and I agree that it would be really good for the industry to implement a system like it.

This could really be a financial burden on teams that are still in the "developing" areas of the country. In Georgia, you all have BUTBT and CheerSport right in your backyard. Here in Kentucky we're a two hour drive from Indy. However, in the Northeast, there are really no "Tier 1" competitions and it's a huge expense to travel to your Worlds qualifiers. The idea is cool though.. and I agree that it would be really good for the industry to implement a system like it.

It's would open up opportunities for competitions to allow to earn points. And in general worlds is a bit overcrowded. Would mean you have to be serious about going to worlds to go to world.

I think as long as the team stays in the division they should be able to get an automatic bid back to Florida.. But if they are switching then that adds some trouble into this!

Back