All-Star Worlds... Sportsmanship

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

At our last few competitions there was a program that barely cracked a smile when their teams were announced first. How's that for sportsmanship? Is that better? To me it was worse seeing teams handed their trophy and they looked like it was nbd--whatever.

Do I open the can of worms? If it's large senior- that division is CHEER OR DIE. It has always been that way, and I don't know why we're still shocked about it. For these girls, I don't care what you tell them, in that moment you ARE World Champs or losers. They're the 'It' girls in the arguably most popular division. Some of the best all-girl talent resides there. Now, maybe after the dust has settled and they've moved away from the excitement, they can relish the memories and good times with their team. They can feel proud of what they've accomplished. But in that moment, it is truly a battlefield NOT for the faint-of-heart. At their cores, do I think these girls are bad? No of course not. Do I begrudge them screaming when they win a surprise upset World Champion title? Heck no. In a perfect sunshines-and-roses world (or what amounts to that for some of you) we'd all sit demurely in the corner until our name is called, at which we'd politely rise and take a bow before 'humbly' returning to our seats. Personally, I'd rather just announce the first place team, then the second place. Scream all you want, then you're good. Honestly, in that moment, I'd want to have the shadow of that crushing defeat blocked by the other team so people don't watch me get upset and not be the perfect little princess who's so ecstatic about second place. That comes later, not always in the heat of the moment.

We're also dealing with teenage girls. Must I show you a Justin Bieber concert?

Do I open the can of worms? If it's large senior- that division is CHEER OR DIE. It has always been that way, and I don't know why we're still shocked about it. For these girls, I don't care what you tell them, in that moment you ARE World Champs or losers. They're the 'It' girls in the arguably most popular division. Some of the best all-girl talent resides there. Now, maybe after the dust has settled and they've moved away from the excitement, they can relish the memories and good times with their team. They can feel proud of what they've accomplished. But in that moment, it is truly a battlefield NOT for the faint-of-heart. At their cores, do I think these girls are bad? No of course not. Do I begrudge them screaming when they win a surprise upset World Champion title? Heck no. In a perfect sunshines-and-roses world (or what amounts to that for some of you) we'd all sit demurely in the corner until our name is called, at which we'd politely rise and take a bow before 'humbly' returning to our seats. Personally, I'd rather just announce the first place team, then the second place. Scream all you want, then you're good. Honestly, in that moment, I'd want to have the shadow of that crushing defeat blocked by the other team so people don't watch me get upset and not be the perfect little princess who's so ecstatic about second place. That comes later, not always in the heat of the moment.

We're also dealing with teenage girls. Must I show you a Justin Bieber concert?

You always have the best, well educated responses. I like your big words and smart phrases hahaha

Back