All-Star Worlds... Sportsmanship

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 13, 2010
Is anyone else disappointed in the sportsmanship at some of the awards sessions? I understand that winning worlds is very exciting and to contain that excitement is very hard after the emotions of a very long year and what seems like decades in the 3 day world championship however... Screaming when the second place team is called and jumping around celebrating your success (thus overshadowing the 2nd place team) while the 2nd place team is trying to celebrate their moment shows such a lack of sportsmanship and respect for this sport.

Justin Carrier says it best with "I hope you lose" - its too bad not everyone is living it!!

On that note of the 3 sessions I witnessed, I would like to send a kudos to Cali Small Coed for their sportsmanship and respect for Brandon!!

Is anyone else disappointed in the sportsmanship at some of the awards sessions? I understand that winning worlds is very exciting and to contain that excitement is very hard after the emotions of a very long year and what seems like decades in the 3 day world championship however... Screaming when the second place team is called and jumping around celebrating your success (thus overshadowing the 2nd place team) while the 2nd place team is trying to celebrate their moment shows such a lack of sportsmanship and respect for this sport.

Justin Carrier says it best with "I hope you lose" - its too bad not everyone is living it!!

On that note of the 3 sessions I witnessed, I would like to send a kudos to Cali Small Coed for their sportsmanship and respect for Brandon!!

No.

its worlds who cares? this is the biggest (or one of them) accomplishment in our sport so
if i had the honor of becoming a crowned world champion i would be screaming, crying, jumping up and down like there was no tomorrow if i knew my team was going to be first so i do not think its a big deal personally to me just being in finals competing with 'the big dogs' is a huge deal

Honestly, I don't know if I'd be able to hold back if I had a team win Worlds. For me, Worlds is one of those times it's ok to go nuts when you win.

It happens, do I like it? No. Do I think it being worlds means it is an excuse for it to be alright? No. I think Cat Haley said it best on twitter: "World Champion or not. You let the silver medalist celebrate before your name is called..." (yes there is more to that quote but it wasn't necessary). I don't care how old you are or what competition it is at, sportsmanship to me can make me gain or lose respect for a program. There are programs who I have lost respect for because they can't wait a few seconds before freaking out. I don't care who says it is alright to me it is rude and tacky

I do think that this topic has been beaten to death though.

i don't think anyone means disrespect to the 2nd place team when they celebrate their win so i don't think this topic should be as blown up as it has been. however, it is worlds. that being said i see it as the opposite of most people in that you should show better sportsmanship at worlds in comparison to any other competition by not screaming and jumping as the 2nd place team is called. every team at worlds is incredibly talented and worked very hard to get there so they deserve the respect of having their few moments of their name being called as a worlds medalist. i know that must be the best feeling to know that you just won, but worlds is once a year, and for some people it may be once in a lifetime especially placing, so they deserve their 10 or 15 seconds to celebrate their second place finish just like you will get your time to celebrate your first place finish.

I think it is silly to criticize kids over this. It for most is the higlight of their life. Controlling emotions is hard for anybody especially teens and I doubt that any team was intentionally tring to dim someones elses light!

If its not ok to celebrate anywhere else then it's not ok to celebrate at Worlds either.

That being said, I just don't care if teams celebrate the win. I don't know of any other competitive event where you're supposed to wait to celebrate. The moment you KNOW you've won is your moment. You shouldn't be forced to restrain yourself in that moment and you shouldn't be judged as poor sports if you don't.

Back