OT Worst Cheer Nightmare

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I'm watching UCA footage right now and thinking about this one:

You're performing at UCA finals, and after your cheer, one of your teammates doesn't toss a sign hard enough after the cheer.

While transitioning to the dance, you slip.

You fall.

You tear your ACL.

DUN DUN DUN.

I've seen girls at school comps slip on signs and bust their tumbling pass and/or fall out of bounds. Never seen anyone get hurt, but it pretty much ruins the team's chances for placing well. That's why I'm maniacal about making sure that when you toss, you make sure it is not going to interfere with anyone's tumbling. I've stopped routines at practice to tell girls to look at where they threw it because I knew it was right in the line of the next tumbler.

I've seen girls at school comps slip on signs and bust their tumbling pass and/or fall out of bounds. Never seen anyone get hurt, but it pretty much ruins the team's chances for placing well. That's why I'm maniacal about making sure that when you toss, you make sure it is not going to interfere with anyone's tumbling. I've stopped routines at practice to tell girls to look at where they threw it because I knew it was right in the line of the next tumbler.
My senior year at nationals they had us going through to semi-finals but then changed our score saying someone stepped on a sign and we missed semi finals by .20. To this day when I'm watching the video I still don't see her step on this sign. :(

Exactly! That's why I like when teams finish their cheer at the front of the mat, throw the props to the front (and safely out of everyone's way) and THEN continue with the routine.

@BuegeSmalls I thought UCA was a 2-day comp, with everyone going in to semis and then the top few teams going into finals?

Exactly! That's why I like when teams finish their cheer at the front of the mat, throw the props to the front (and safely out of everyone's way) and THEN continue with the routine.

@BuegeSmalls I thought UCA was a 2-day comp, with everyone going in to semis and then the top few teams going into finals?
Nope, everyone goes into prelims and then they cut it into semi finals and then cut it even further into finals. Some smaller divisions might just have semi-finals and finals, and some divisions might just have finals (my freshman year large JV was only finals). For big divisions (like Small varsity) they'll split it even more. So for example with small varsity D1, there is prelim group A and B. After everyone competes they take the best from both groups (usually around half from each) into semi finals and then however many from that into finals. They are split in to different days though. My senior year small varsity was prelims and semis the same day and finals the following day.

So I had a dream that a college dean asked me to coach the school's women's basketball team. I wanted to coach the school's cheer team and the high school teams in the area (they were awful; motions were mega sloppy and I saw 3 or 4 of the most poorly executed RO fulls ever; the girls doing them would do a horrible RO, and then complete half of a rotation on their way into an inverted position and then throw their hips forward on a fight to complete the second half on the way down).

Dean said no because "basketball is more important and cheerleading is silly and pointless". Dude had to be in his early 70s. I was about to explain to him that he was wrong... and then I woke up.

Those motions still make me cringe.

My earlier post were all NIGHTMARES I've had, because I thought the thread was about recurring nightmares:

In terms of ACTUAL nightmare stuff that's happened:

1. When I coached Y2, one of my kids threw her TUCK in a pass that was supposed to end in a BHS. Cue horrified looks.

2. One of my main flyers on Senior 2 was in a custody situation in which the parents were being pretty nasty. The week of a comp, judge orders daughter to spend weekends with her dad. Girl goes to dad's for the weekend. Comp weekend. Dad is clueless about cheer and doesn't have directions to the venue. She shows up 10 minutes to warm up with hair and make up that screams "My dad did this and he has no idea what he's doing." (this is a younger senior girl who hasn't ever really done her own comp hair or make up.) My assistant tried to do what she could, but we didn't have time and she had to go on looking like RuPaul/Bozo the Clown.
The first one actually happened to my team last year. We were a level 4 and one girl threw jumps to tuck and another doubled out of a single leg stunt

I dislocated my shoulder on the practice mat once and my coach told me to wait until after we completed to get ice (I relocated it before I competed so it wasn't that bad... Just sore)

You drop the spirit stick. And go to Hades.
I recently went to a competition where instead of getting the trophy they passed it to you. Every cheerleader was sitting down and it was very packed so it went over people like a crowd surfing band member. Then the Pom dancer beside me said " Don't Drop the spirt stick". I still can't stop laughing.

Back