All-Star 100's Of Hours Of Practice, Thousands Of Dollars, Plenty Of Blood, Sweat, And Tears...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think the problem is that staffs across the country do not know what the scoresheet is really looking for until they see the judging decsions after the prelims at Worlds. If there were a series of competitions that defined to the best of the regional and national judging panels abilities what the World's panel and scoresheet was going to reward, the staffs and teams could commit to the skills and level of execution that they knew were rewarded by the panels leading up to Worlds and ask the Worlds' panels to hold to the judging standards and decisions during the year for that competion. The actual judging on the standardized sheet would define the judging at Worlds as the season progressed and allow teams and staffs to let the routine evolve to what scored the best and gave them the best chance to win.

Well said. And in that execution would improve and safety.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I think the problem is that staffs across the country do not know what the scoresheet is really looking for until they see the judging decsions after the prelims at Worlds. If there were a series of competitions that defined to the best of the regional and national judging panels abilities what the World's panel and scoresheet was going to reward, the staffs and teams could commit to the skills and level of execution that they knew were rewarded by the panels leading up to Worlds and ask the Worlds' panels to hold to the judging standards and decisions during the year for that competion. The actual judging on the standardized sheet would define the judging at Worlds as the season progressed and allow teams and staffs to let the routine evolve to what scored the best and gave them the best chance to win.

The quality of judging would improve exponentially with a universal scoresheet. I also think, in concert with that, that the USASF needs to take a more active role in training and certifying judges, and institute a grade/level system similar to referees in other sports.

I would like to see video replay. I think it is hard to catch everything happening (good and bad) allover the floor so quickly. Would it help if teams turned in a routine or skills sheet to the judges so they know what to look for? Just a thought

You've seen me argue for universal scoresheets well back into last year so I'm right there with you.

But the event producers must enforce all techniques, legalities, and rules violations through scoring, deductionsand disqualifications.

When people are affected by their finals placing, they will follow the rules. We get mad at the USASF, but they don't have an unlimited staff to police these things. They put the rules out, the EPs have the budget to ensure teams follow them otherwise people should not attend those competitions.

Agreed, scores & enforcement will always determine how Coaches & Gyms will dedicate their efforts towards the goal of Champion.

Next question, can we achieve consensus for all scores, deductions, penalties, etc, for ignoring the rules. Before you establish a single score sheet, how will consensus be achieved within the Competitive Cheer Community? Currently it appears there are differing points of view on scoring/recognizing “jump techniques.” Although many rules are already established for USASF/IASF, enforcement will determine which ones Coaches & Gyms will adhere to when competing!

Not "minimized"... it's still worth more than every other area on the score sheet except stunts. Why would that harm tumbling business? Name more than 5 gyms nationwide who legitimately have full team, maxed out tumbling? No one. So it's not reducing your tumbling numbers, it's just a way to help with avoiding so many injuries. We're not going to see all of those "doubles" that are landing with legs crossed and 1 3/4 rotation, because they'll be perfecting their fulls instead. It's even helpful in level 1-2. Think about it, how many times do you see janky back walkovers with bent legs and such in Level 1? Or crunched up bhs in Level 2? Coaches wouldn't be as likely to put these gross looking skills in to beef up their majority numbers if the tumbling were worth a bit less
i agree 100%.

Totally completely agree!!! This needs to happen for the sake of the sport!! I can't express how many times I've looked at a score sheet over the years and thought I'd have a better chance of deciphering hieroglyphics :eek: I also vote for the varsity score sheet!

Im 100% for a universal score sheet
But what about awarding "bonus" points as well..and Im not talking like oh that routine was great give them an extra boost in tumbling Im kinda thinking more like gymnastics where each level routine (before optional levels) has a certain skill that can be added to a routine to give a bonus. I could see something like adding bonus skills to a rubric to give teams extra things to work towards

Not "minimized"... it's still worth more than every other area on the score sheet except stunts. Why would that harm tumbling business? Name more than 5 gyms nationwide who legitimately have full team, maxed out tumbling? No one. So it's not reducing your tumbling numbers, it's just a way to help with avoiding so many injuries. We're not going to see all of those "doubles" that are landing with legs crossed and 1 3/4 rotation, because they'll be perfecting their fulls instead. It's even helpful in level 1-2. Think about it, how many times do you see janky back walkovers with bent legs and such in Level 1? Or crunched up bhs in Level 2? Coaches wouldn't be as likely to put these gross looking skills in to beef up their majority numbers if the tumbling were worth a bit less

Since this thread was bumped back up, I re-read through it.

A consistent scoring scale with a universal scoresheet would improve safety by penalizing bad technique. It's that simple.

Back