All-Star 100's Of Hours Of Practice, Thousands Of Dollars, Plenty Of Blood, Sweat, And Tears...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm all for a universal score sheet as well. I'm also in the minority, but I prefer the Jam Brands score sheet/rubric.

I, too, also think the scores should be made available, IMO it would hold someone accountable. JAMZ based out of California does this, and as a coach, it's a very valuable tool. It's great to look and see where I got beat or where I did well. We get the scores from all the judges, for all the teams in my division, in every category.

UCA Nationals handed out a score breakdown sheet that was awesome this year! We got every team's score in every single category so you could see - ok we placed first in tumbling, pyramid and dance but got 4th in jumps so we need to up our jump score (for example.) I'm pretty sure it was the most detailed sheet we got all year. American Championships usually gives out a total score breakdown by placing including deductions, but the UCA one with every category was amazing. It looked so simple and easy to do also. Just a basic spreadsheet.

I also noticed the judges had video replay at the table. I really think UCA is getting it done right and that is why their comp has had a resurgence of big names coming and from the threads it sounds like its shaping up to be the best year yet :)

*and no I don't work for UCA - even though this post kinda sounds like I do - I used to hate them lol.

thebowqueen said:
UCA Nationals handed out a score breakdown sheet that was awesome this year! We got every team's score in every single category so you could see - ok we placed first in tumbling, pyramid and dance but got 4th in jumps so we need to up our jump score (for example.) I'm pretty sure it was the most detailed sheet we got all year. American Championships usually gives out a total score breakdown by placing including deductions, but the UCA one with every category was amazing. It looked so simple and easy to do also. Just a basic spreadsheet.

I also noticed the judges had video replay at the table. I really think UCA is getting it done right and that is why their comp has had a resurgence of big names coming and from the threads it sounds like its shaping up to be the best year yet :)

*and no I don't work for UCA - even though this post kinda sounds like I do - I used to hate them lol.

I'm not a fan of UCA but your post has me rethinking them. I am all for this type of breakdown.

..and it comes down to 5 minutes in one weekend. I want it to be right.

I say we bring back the universal scoresheet talk, and I recommend the Varsity scoresheet. It makes the most sense. Everything is balanced. It is simple and every category works the same (you cant accidentally award too many or too few points for a category) though you can do percentages like UCA to emphasize building if you really like... but the way the judges score doesn't change per competition. NCA and UCA handed out a score breakdown for each team which got rid of most of the mystery of how scoring works. There would be no misleading in the scoring (saying stunts are worth more but really its in tumbling). Want to reward actual coed stunting? Require it to get into the top rubric.

Thoughts?

my team has coed stunting in our routine and in the past never got rewarded for that while the coed teams we were against did not have any sort of actual coed stunt. #TELLEMWHYYOUMAD

@BlueCat has a great idea when creating a score sheet system. The prob with having a Universal Score Sheet is that every EP wants to feel their comp is "different" if they don't have a different score sheet then why would someone come to their event. @BlueCat presented this (basically) a UNIVERSAL Score Sheet - 2 rows. Row One - for the Judges (which never changes regardless of the Event) Row Two - The EP row which allows the EP to increase or decrease the emphasis on each category. I did the best I could to explain it, hopefully he will address and help.
I for one am completely in favor of the Varsity Score Sheet (for now).

@BlueCat has a great idea when creating a score sheet system. The prob with having a Universal Score Sheet is that every EP wants to feel their comp is "different" if they don't have a different score sheet then why would someone come to their event. @BlueCat presented this (basically) a UNIVERSAL Score Sheet - 2 rows. Row One - for the Judges (which never changes regardless of the Event) Row Two - The EP row which allows the EP to increase or decrease the emphasis on each category. I did the best I could to explain it, hopefully he will address and help.
I for one am completely in favor of the Varsity Score Sheet (for now).

I think there are MANY other factors that I look at while choosing an event besides score sheets.

1. Cost per participant (Some are cheap with no lights and extras)
2. Cost for spectators. (Who wants to pay $25 a person for family of 5 to watch 2:30 routine)
3. Does it run on time or like an hour behind because Jammy has to make an appearance at every awards
4. Do the kids like it (Mardi Gras Spirit events are really fun for the kids)
5. Who attends (Big event / small event)

etc. etc.

Why does a scoresheet have to be something that gym owners / directors have to choose an event by?

I think there are MANY other factors that I look at while choosing an event besides score sheets.

1. Cost per participant (Some are cheap with no lights and extras)
2. Cost for spectators. (Who wants to pay $25 a person for family of 5 to watch 2:30 routine)
3. Does it run on time or like an hour behind because Jammy has to make an appearance at every awards
4. Do the kids like it (Mardi Gras Spirit events are really fun for the kids)
5. Who attends (Big event / small event)

etc. etc.

Why does a scoresheet have to be something that gym owners / directors have to choose an event by?
I'm not disagreeing with you, but the argument I've heard AGAINST the Universal Score Sheet (not the only but the main) from EP's is that if there is a Universal Score Sheet then they will have nothing that sets them apart. When talking about a Universal system I think its important to know why there is push back and why it hasn't already passed.

I wasn't trying to disagree with you are be difficult. Ive heard that argument from EP's as well. I really think that a scoresheet shouldn't be the determining factor between events. It's like choosing a baseball tournament because your team great pitching, and the tournament rewards runs for strikeouts. If we make a universal score sheet, then event producers can distinguish themselves in other ways, like price, entertainment, location, date. It just makes sense... Doesn't it?

I wasn't trying to disagree with you are be difficult. Ive heard that argument from EP's as well. I really think that a scoresheet shouldn't be the determining factor between events. It's like choosing a baseball tournament because your team great pitching, and the tournament rewards runs for strikeouts. If we make a universal score sheet, then event producers can distinguish themselves in other ways, like price, entertainment, location, date. It just makes sense... Doesn't it?
I agree 100%, I just don't get why it hasn't already passed, I feel I've been discussing this for at least the past 5 yrs.

Start talking to the Event Producers directly, not the USASF. Ask them if they would support a Universal Score Sheet and why or why not.

Back