All-Star 2011 Worlds ... Gymnastics That Is.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So I have a question because I had this debate with someone (a pretty well connected person with the USA National Team selection process) do you think that the U.S. team that just won should be kept together ( It's been a while since we've had a TEAM perform this well ) or would you be ok with kicking off a member of the World Champion Team and replace them with a lets say Nastia Liukin?

I say keep the team together! Heart, unity and the bond this team has is something special. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have nothing against ANY of the other amazing athletes out there and maybe they could help but this is JMO.
Thoughts?

So I have a question because I had this debate with someone (a pretty well connected person with the USA National Team selection process) do you think that the U.S. team that just won should be kept together ( It's been a while since we've had a TEAM perform this well ) or would you be ok with kicking off a member of the World Champion Team and replace them with a lets say Nastia Liukin?

I say keep the team together! Heart, unity and the bond this team has is something special. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have nothing against ANY of the other amazing athletes out there and maybe they could help but this is JMO.
Thoughts?
It depends on which team member is being replaced, how athletes such as Nastia shape up after making a comeback and how athletes such as Rebecca Bross look after they've returned from injury.

It depends on which team member is being replaced, how athletes such as Nastia shape up after making a comeback and how athletes such as Rebecca Bross look after they've returned from injury.
The ONLY scenario for me would be if an athlete from the Worlds Team was injured or was no longer hitting routines. Not just bc someone else NOW decides they want to return.

Thoughts?

Nastia should replace Gabby Douglas or Anna Li, she puts up higher scores on bars than both of them, and if I am correct, that's most of the reason both of them were put on the team (especially Anna Li)

Nastia wasn't on a World Champion Team. I am a huge Nastia fan, even bigger fan of her father. However, Team competition is different that individual (yes, its gymnastics which is more individual than cheer) however, the U.S. hasn't won a World/Olympic team title in a while. We just won, why not stick with what's working?

Nastia wasn't on a World Champion Team

what's your point here?
if you're saying she deserves it less than others because she's never been on a world champion team, I'd have to disagree with that, as she's one of the most decorated American gymnasts of all time and definitely deserves a spot on the team (providing she gets back in shape and can still do the stuff she could before taking the time off.)

what's your point here?
if you're saying she deserves it less than others because she's never been on a world champion team, I'd have to disagree with that, as she's one of the most decorated American gymnasts of all time and definitely deserves a spot on the team (providing she gets back in shape and can still do the stuff she could before taking the time off.)
A fairly easy to read point. She is a highly decorated INDIVIDUAL but hasn't been on a gold medal TEAM. I'm not saying she isn't amazing, prob some of the prettiest lines the sport has to offer. HOWEVER, it is EXTREMELY frustrating to think that other team members worked their tails off and didn't take the time off like she did. They worked as a team, they didn't win as many individual medals as we have in years past, but as a TEAM they performed better. Maybe Nastia isn't as supportive, maybe she is, IDK. What I do know is that the U.S. team that competed at Worlds, won. Nastia (and others that are looking to make a "comeback", I just used her name as an example) weren't on that team.

The ONLY scenario for me would be if an athlete from the Worlds Team was injured or was no longer hitting routines. Not just bc someone else NOW decides they want to return.
IMO the olympic team should be made up of the best athletes, not just the ones who were uninjured and actually competing at the time of worlds.
A fairly easy to read point. She is a highly decorated INDIVIDUAL but hasn't been on a gold medal TEAM. I'm not saying she isn't amazing, prob some of the prettiest lines the sport has to offer. HOWEVER, it is EXTREMELY frustrating to think that other team members worked their tails off and didn't take the time off like she did. They worked as a team, they didn't win as many individual medals as we have in years past, but as a TEAM they performed better. Maybe Nastia isn't as supportive, maybe she is, IDK. What I do know is that the U.S. team that competed at Worlds, won. Nastia (and others that are looking to make a "comeback", I just used her name as an example) weren't on that team.
It isn't just Nastias fault the team didn't win. There were 5 other girls on the team who could have been the reason the team didn't win, also the teams from other countries could have been stronger in comparison to the American team in previous years. Gymnastics isn't all about the team medal.

IMO the olympic team should be made up of the best athletes, not just the ones who were uninjured and actually competing at the time of worlds.

It isn't just Nastias fault the team didn't win. There were 5 other girls on the team who could have been the reason the team didn't win, also the teams from other countries could have been stronger in comparison to the American team in previous years. Gymnastics isn't all about the team medal.
As I said before, I just used Nastia as an ex. The Olympic Team should be made of the TEAM with the best chance to win the gold. My point is not attack those that weren't on the team, my point is to reward the ones that were.

Nastia wasn't on a World Champion Team. I am a huge Nastia fan, even bigger fan of her father. However, Team competition is different that individual (yes, its gymnastics which is more individual than cheer) however, the U.S. hasn't won a World/Olympic team title in a while. We just won, why not stick with what's working?
in a while? USA won in 2007! and silver at the '08 Olympics! 2009 Worlds was not a team competition, but USA still took 1-2 all-around with two girls that weren't on this worlds team, and a silver medal for the team last year! USA's field is very strong and deep, and keep in mind that the London Olympics is a five member team. It is not a six member team like these World Championships.

Also, a comeback to strong gymnastics in only one year is a very difficult task, ever for a gymnast like Nastia. I loved Nastia in her day, but I just don't think this Olympics is for her. Shawn, however, could up her difficulty and return as a strong all-arounder. And even Alicia, is a very strong gymnast but this World Champinoships proved we have even more talent beyond her. I would surely assume Jordyn Wieber and Aly Raisman will be on that Olympic team next year. But keep in mind just how deep the field will be to pick that team from... there are still more juniors to come up next year that can even challege.

Contenders for the 2012 Olympics:
Rebecca Bross - If she has a good comeback, could be an all-arounder.
The Caquatti - Both strong bars workers.
Gabby Douglas - Upgrading on bars, and pretty strong all-around.
Shawn Johnson - Has a lot of experience, and is making a strong comeback.
Anna Li - Bars only, really.
McKayla Maroney - Current World vault champion, and making upgrades all around. Decent floor.
Chellsie Memmel - Consistent, tough, experienced, strong comeback.
Aly Raisman - Experienced, consistent in team finals, huge tumbling, probably upgrading vault.
Alicia Sacramone - Good three event gymnast, working on vault upgrade. 2010 World vault champ.
Bridget Sloan - 2009 World AA champ. To be honest, I don't like her gymnastics. I think she's getting weaker and may be out of the runnings.
Sabrina Vega - Proved a strong member of this Worlds team. Hit when it counted.
Jordyn Wieber - 2011 World AA Champ, National Champ, consistent and strong.
Lexie Priessman - Will be coming into the senior rankings next year. Powerful vaulter, has an Amanar. Strong all-around too.
Kyla Ross - Coming into senior rankings next year. GREAT all-arounder. 2010 Junior National Champ.
Mykayla Skinner - Coming up next year. Decent all-arounder, powerful vaulter with Amanar.
Nastia Liukin - IF she can make a good comeback, will be strong on bars and beam.

So you see, a LOT to chose from.

As I said before, I just used Nastia as an ex. The Olympic Team should be made of the TEAM with the best chance to win the gold. My point is not attack those that weren't on the team, my point is to reward the ones that were.

I agree but I don't see why the worlds gymnasts should be rewarded for being on the team when it is a reward in itself (they could have been placed on the Pan Am games team instead). You said yourself it should be the team with the best chance at winning gold, that might not necessarily be the worlds team as other strong and talented gymnasts were injured/not competing at selection time.

@yojaehs you say that a team should be made up of the girls with the best chance of winning, and if you add back in Nastia, Shawn and Alicia (I say Alicia because she technically had no part in winning the gold medal) providing that all 3 get back to their peak form, you aren't worsening the team, in fact you are probably bettering it. Nastia on a bad day puts up a 15.0 on bars, which is high for Anna Li. Shawn puts up one of the highest beam scores, and so does Nastia (both capable of high 15's on this event). Shawn has better vaulting and floor than Gabby Douglas as well. The only place that Anna Li and Gabby Douglas contribute greatly is on bars (Gabby also contributes all around, but Shawn is capable of better all around scores), which the Americans needed after 08, but as I said, Nastia out scores both, and Shawn is capable of similar scores.

I won't get into Rebecca Bross, because I think if it came down to it, any of the 3 mentioned above would edge her out. The team doesn't need every single member to be an all around gymnast, as that generally means they aren't putting up any overly amazing scores, their scores just kinda hover around a good area (with the exception of usually 1 event for each).

I think the Olympic team should be, providing everyone is in peak condition:
Jordyn Weiber
Shawn Johnson
Alicia Sacramone
Nastia Liukin
McKayla Maroney (though this spot could also go to Aly Raisman or Kyla Ross)

@yojaehs I disagree. Gymnastics is such a "hit or miss" sport when it comes to athletes peaking at the right time, and just because an athlete is at the top of their game now, doesn't mean they will be a year from now. It might seem that the "fair" thing to do is just carry on the team that gave you a gold, but I'm sure if Rebecca Bross works hard and puts up high scores at nationals/Olympic Trials next year, and then gets snubbed an Olympic Team spot, she would have to disagree with carrying those athletes over as the "fair" thing to do. That's pretty unfair to her, or any athlete in that position. It is a similar situation to when Hilary Grivich was underscored at the 1992 Olympic Trials because they didn't want too many of Bela's gymnasts on the team. It was unfair to Hilary, she had earned the spot fair and square. But to some, it was unfair to put so many gymnasts from the same gym on an Olympic team. I'm sure Ivana Hong was pissed on an international level when she was replaced on the Olympic team in 08, and when Alicia Sacramone was beat out by Nastia to compete in Floor Finals at the Olympics, I bet she was estatic about that. Those girls worked their entire lives to get to those spots, and I'm sure it felt like a hard punch to the gut when, in the blink of an eye, they were replaced. That being said, it doesn't mean they were right. Other girls beat them out, THAT's what being "fair" is.

**I'm also confused as to why you're saying Nastia hasn't won a gold team medal? She won the EXACT same gold team medal in Stuttgart in 2007 as these girls just won. She was a huge part of that win and clearly a leader.

Back