All-Star 2012-2013 Age Grid For Worlds Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

13 was the discussion last summer at the NACCC.
Having a higher floor on senior teams would help populate the junior divisions a little more.

There has also been discussion for quite some time about pulling tumbling back to some degree. The injuries are getting a little out of hand.

Yes. I believe it would have a trickle down effect and help increase competition at all levels, albeit slightly.

13 was the discussion last summer at the NACCC.
Having a higher floor on senior teams would help populate the junior divisions a little more.

There has also been discussion for quite some time about pulling tumbling back to some degree. The injuries are getting a little out of hand.

I was actually doing some research regarding the increase in braces on the floor. When my cp first started cheering 8 years ago there were hardly any ankle or knee braces. I have reviewed some recent videos to count braces (ankle and knee). I was surprised at the ratio of braces to athletes on a squad. On a large squad the max braces usage in a team was 4-5 ankle and 1 knee on youth , junior 5 or 6 ankle and 1 knee and then senior around 8 -9 ankle and 2 knee from a small max was 3 ankle 1 knee. Which makes me wonder are we pushing the skills too far versus what're kids are really conditioned for?

The age thing has been a long time coming. Maybe we're speeding all this up and passing rules to get them done now instead of arguing to hang on to them because it is the way it's just always been done.

My above rant is what you see on the floor. It seems there has been an increase in injuries where athletes are out the rest of the season.

My above rant is what you see on the floor. It seems there has been an increase in injuries where athletes are out the rest of the season.

As teams get better what it takes to win is getting harder. So more people pushing for more stuff.

The NFL for a long time was a boring ground game. They put in new rules to encourage a passing game and the sport really took off. I'll be interested to see of these suggestions have that affect.

As teams get better what it takes to win is getting harder. So more people pushing for more stuff.

The NFL for a long time was a boring ground game. They put in new rules to encourage a passing game and the sport really took off. I'll be interested to see of these suggestions have that affect.

So then what is the formula to protect these athletes from where the industry is going. Back then 2 stunt sequences weren't required or 2 jump sections or the increase in tumbling requirement. Or longer pyramids with more tosses In the past I felt the risk of injury was mostly in tumbling. But now that we require increase in skill in all aspects of the score sheet the tweaking of knees and ankles occur resulting in more injuries when they do their tumbling. Just a theory I am toying with in my head.

If the industry is going to retain and require increased skills in all aspect of the score sheet should we mandate proper conditioning and stretching within the program?

I know when my daughter was injured I was told that her whole outside of the leg was so muscular (her twisting side) but the inside was under developed. This was not the root cause of her injury (actually an infancy issue she had might be root cause) but could be an issue down the road.

However can you confirm that the injuries are from standing fulls and bounding passes or improper technique of under-rotating fulls and doubles. Don't take away something if it's not the cause

But is it plausible the increase demand on their bodies leads to weakening parts of the body therefore you can't sustain that one under rotated double or standing full?

If I remember correctly Debbie Love has been a strong supporter of getting coaches to teach proper technique and progression and not really taking away skills in the senior divisions. Notice her daughters are taught proper technique and the only injury I ever hear either of them having is a rolled ankle.

I think that something needs to be done with the amount of injuries, but I am not sure taking away skills is the answer.

I guess I just see more and more girls not even to the stage of standing fulls and bounding passes do under rotating doubles and getting hurt. I agree that proper technique needs to be taught not just punch the ground as hard as you can and start spinning and hope for the best.

Maybe they could announce the bottom age change a few years in advance to soften the blow...like they did when they changed the cutoff date from May to August. I know finding out ahead of time helped me prepare for loosing that extra year I thought I would have. I was the first year effected.

If I remember correctly Debbie Love has been a strong supporter of getting coaches to teach proper technique and progression and not really taking away skills in the senior divisions. Notice her daughters are taught proper technique and the only injury I ever hear either of them having is a rolled ankle.

I think that something needs to be done with the amount of injuries, but I am not sure taking away skills is the answer.

But is it worth looking at pulling back skills to get back on track to teach proper technique and progression?

Or is it worth looking at the requirements and demands of the score sheet as a whole and make it more equal.

There has been discussion around increasing routine times? Could reducing skill requirements contribute toward increasing the time limit.

Please I am not an advocate for reducing tumbling skills. I would be killing my cp's passion. I am just trying to understand the increase in injuries and what the proper formula could be to reduce them. These kids have a whole life in that one body.

But is it worth looking at pulling back skills to get back on track to teach proper technique and progression?

Or is it worth looking at the requirements and demands of the score sheet as a whole and make it more equal.

There has been discussion around increasing routine times? Could reducing skill requirements contribute toward increasing the time limit.

Please I am not an advocate for reducing tumbling skills. I would be killing my cp's passion. I am just trying to understand the increase in injuries and what the proper formula could be to reduce them. These kids have a whole life in that one body.
There are alot of injuries. My cp works with a gymnastics coach and she is constantly on her for her form. I wish all coaches would train that way.

Back