All-Star 2012 Visa's

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I

imrichhowboutu

(Yes i know this is gymnastics but since cheerleading is awful this time of year, its always a great discussion for some of us!)

This year the field of elite's is amazing and i'm pretty sure the US could field 2 olympic medal winning teams if they wanted to. I also think the US has the 3 best athletes on every apparatus, but they don't happen to be in 5 athletes.

So where does everyone think it is going this year?

Obviously weiber is a shoe in. And probably Gabby and Aly. I'm overly obsessed with A Sac, but she's going no where fast. And i'd love maroney to bring home a gold on vault.

Bringing in some people that played along last year:
chyeeaaa69 , kristenthegreat , Gym D , PghxCheer2 , GVAG_bradyelizabeth , cheerinfo , MissBee , yojaehs , Emily Jane

Not sure if it's too much of a long shot, but I'd love for Nastia to be in there, even if just for her bar set! I agree that unless they crap out at trials, Wieber, Raisman and Douglas are in. The last two spots...who knows, but I'm hoping one is for Nastia.

I know I wasnt tagged in this but I thought that I would insert my thoughts.. :oops:

I feel like I'm with the crowd that thinks Nastia should gracefully retire like Shawn did. I think she should give the other girls their chances. But at the same time I applaud her for getting back into the gym and being able to compete that well on beam at the US Classic.. I really am hoping that McKayla Maroney gets on the team for her vault. Leaves me breathless everytime she does it. As for the other 4 spots, 3 are more then likely going to filled by Jordyn, Aly, and Gabby. But the last one I don't know.. maybe Kyla Ross?

I think it depends how things look this weekend. Yeah, Wieber only did a few events because they're saving her up for Trials, but she did NOT look that hot. Raisman, although I hate her gymnastics, is consistently solid all around so she's a definite. Douglas could be AMAZING- but she's an ABSOLUTE head case so it'll depend on how she performs this weekend. Nastia was the only one at Secret Classic who looked in control of anything (3 years since competing, on top of that), and she'll only be good for two events. I wish Johnson's spot could be taken by Memmel, although I just don't think it's her shot anymore regardless. I can't wait to see ASac, I'm hoping she has a strong showing because I want to see what she could do. I know Bridget Sloan will be there as well, interesting to see what she brings to the table. If Anna Li could just keep it together, she'd have a great shot for bars. I know Maroney is really only a strong vaulter, and no everybody and her aunt has an Amanar, so I hope she's been working on strengthening her other events to bring herself into contention. Kyla Ross is definitely someone to look for, and I'm interested to see what Bross brings this meet. Should be VERY exciting!

Memmel didn't score high enough at Secret to qualify for the Visa's. Her application to attend the competition was denied by USAG/selection committee. So she is definitely out as is Johnson.

I don't see them not taking Weiber or Raisman unless they fall apart at trials or Visa's. Weiber looked awful at Secret, but is still the best all arounder in the country.

Douglas could be AMAZING- but she's an ABSOLUTE head case so it'll depend on how she performs this weekend. Nastia was the only one at Secret Classic who looked in control of anything (3 years since competing, on top of that), and she'll only be good for two events.

Douglas stresses me out, and the thought of her at the Olympics worries me. She gets so into her own head that I can't imagine how she'll be when it comes to the biggest stage of her career. I think she's in, and I hope she can keep it together when it counts. She is an unreal talent, that's for sure.
I think they need Nastia for the poise and experience. She was so on at the last Olympics, and she hits when it counts. For some of the girls, I think it would be a big advantage to have her there showing them how it's done. Plus, I think her lines play well to the international judges in a way some of the other "power" girls don't... She evens out the field to me and although she isn't where she was, I think the other factors help make her an asset to the team. We'll see how it all plays out-I'm super excited to watch.

The olympics isn't about giving others a chance. No one complains when athletes super senior in cheer, or people on international teams cheer forever. Nor does anyone care when specific athletes attend several olympics in a row. This will only be Nastia's second.

But I feel like Shawn could have kept going, she just didn't want to be rejected. Better to tell everyone you can't do it, then have someone tell you that you can't.

But I feel like Shawn could have kept going, she just didn't want to be rejected. Better to tell everyone you can't do it, then have someone tell you that you can't.

Isn't that kinda the samething? In away.. it's still the news of 'you can't do this', just coming from someone else. For me I would rather be told by something else that I have reached my limit then telling myself that I have... But it still saddens me that she retired....

Question...is there a live feed of this like there was at Secret?

The olympics isn't about giving others a chance. No one complains when athletes super senior in cheer, or people on international teams cheer forever. Nor does anyone care when specific athletes attend several olympics in a row. This will only be Nastia's second.

I agree.. It's the Olympics. You are either the best one and give your country the best shot at the medal, or you don't. Personally, I want the strongest team possible with the most chance to win, no matter what. Two Olympics is not uncommon-Shannon Miller, Kerri Strug, and Dominique Dawes were in their second Olympics when they won in '96.

Isn't that kinda the samething? In away.. it's still the news of 'you can't do this', just coming from someone else. For me I would rather be told by something else that I have reached my limit then telling myself that I have... But it still saddens me that she retired....

I think he means more it being about making the decision yourself, then someone making it for you. Having never been in her situation, I think I would rather choose to retire, then have someone say I'm no longer good enough.

I think part of what bothers me about Wieber and Raisman is their choreo and UGLY leaps. The judges will rip Raisman apart if she doensn't do some cleaning between now and the olympics. She has the hardest time hitting full split, which is STUPID considering she does a split ring leap (or whatever it's called, something like that), and it's GOOD, so she can clearly hit the 180, she's just messy and doesn't. Bridget's bar set looked pretty, from the little I saw.

Back