Advanced High School Pyramid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

with 19 kids, 5 stunt pyramid, 2 rewinds. I know you need a back spot on the preps to make it legal. But can you have the center stunt a partner stunt with a spotter and still do the rewind?
A great advance HS pyramid with 18 girls will be to have three full stunt groups (4 girls each - two ends and center) with 2 single bases at the two insides.....have the single bases full up or start facing backwards and do 1 1/2 up pullthroughs then switch hitch with the braces on each outside and center.....good luck!

Not a braced full (which would be braced by a single flyer), but a low to high rewind, with the flyer starting out with crossed arms and completing a half twist on the way up.

I don't think you can spin and flip in high school. I was looking at the rules yesterday to figure out why someone I know got a deduction and I'm pretty sure it said no twisting rotation is allowed in the inversion. I'm not 100% on that tho

I don't think you can spin and flip in high school. I was looking at the rules yesterday to figure out why someone I know got a deduction and I'm pretty sure it said no twisting rotation is allowed in the inversion. I'm not 100% on that tho
Yes you can do a spin and flip in HS.....you have to start either on the floor or prep and must end no higher than a prep. You will see many squads do this from the floor in the back then do a twist flip to the front caught in a cradle position.

Be careful giving advice when you clearly do not know the rules for HS cheer. Yes absolutely HS can do rewinds and they can do a prep stunt with only two bases, and yes they can full up/double up to the top without braces and inversions can be caught at extensions....see Southwestern 2012 Nationals performance end mount; they have a high to high back tuck inversion; just one of the many examples I can think of.
My HS required full stunting, and so did a lot of other high schools in my area. Including at some competitions. There was a better way to addresses me about that. Every HS has different rules & Regulations for HS cheer. Please don't assume I know nothing about HS cheer over one misleading advice :)

Thank you.

PS: It's a known FACT THAT MANY High school times cannot pull off All star type stunts. I never said ALL HIGH SCHOOLS COULDN'T DO IT.

:)

Not upset, just letting you know there was another way to address me. Thank you for educating me.

Be careful giving advice when you clearly do not know the rules for HS cheer. Yes absolutely HS can do rewinds and they can do a prep stunt with only two bases, and yes they can full up/double up to the top without braces and inversions can be caught at extensions....see Southwestern 2012 Nationals performance end mount; they have a high to high back tuck inversion; just one of the many examples I can think of.
Sorry for the double post, but I also wanted to point out that the high schools teams that I've seen that tried to Coed stunt, or do a stunt without all four people, FAILED. Tremendously.

https://www.aacca.org/media/resources/2014-2015 School Rules - Final.pdf

This should be your bible. One rule of thumb, every single prep in a braced flip pyramid must have a back and so must the person flipping. You MUST HAVE AT LEAST 12 PEOPLE.

Below is the Pyramid info broken out:

E. Pyramids
Note: In addition to these specific pyramid rules, all persons and stunts involved in a pyramid must follow all rules from
the Partner Stunt and Inversion sections.
1. The top person in a pyramid must receive primary support from a base or be connected to a bracer who is on a
base.
2. A bracer may not support a majority of a top person’s weight.
3. In braced pyramids, at least one bracer of each pair must be at shoulder height or below. The exception to this
rule is the following:
a. Extensions (double- or single-based) may brace other extensions.
4. Partner stunts and pyramids may not pass over, under or through other partner stunts or pyramids.
5. If a person in a pyramid is used as a brace for an extended stunt, that brace must not be supporting a majority of
the top person's weight. (To demonstrate this, the foot of the top person’s braced leg must be at or above the
knee of their supporting leg.)
6. Hanging pyramids must have a continuous spotter for each shoulder stand involved in suspending another
person. Hanging pyramids are not allowed to rotate.
7. In a Released Pyramid Transition the following rules apply:
a. The top person must have at least two bases. Exception: a single-base tick-tock is permitted provided the
top person remains upright.
b. The released top person and bases make no more than a ¼ turn around the bracer in a continuous
movement in which the top person remains above the original base(s). c. The top person and all bracers at shoulder level must have a spotter in place during the transition
movement. (Shoulder sits and double-based thigh stands do not require an additional spotter.)
d. The top person must be in hand/arm to hand/arm contact with at least one bracer during the entire
transition.
e. The top person may not be supporting his or her weight on any other body part of the person(s) assisting
(i.e. Shoulders of the bracer).
f. The top person must be continuous in motion and cannot be supported so that they pause during the
transition.
For braced inversion pyramids, see D3.

3. Braced forward or backward flips or rolls in a pyramid are allowed provided all the following conditions are met:
a. The top person begins in a multi-base loading position, stunt, cradle or on the performing surface.
b. The top person maintains continuous hand-to-hand/arm contact with a bracer on each side. The bracers are
in preps with a spotter (no shoulder-stand, shoulder-sit or thigh-stand bracers). The top person is between
or in front of the bracers.
c. At least three catchers (one base and two spotters or two bases and one spotter) who were the original
bases/spotters catch the top person in a loading position, stunt or cradle, or assist the top person to the
performing surface. If the flip ends in a cradle, the bracers may release the top person once she/he begins
to descend and is no longer inverted.
d. The top person ends in a non-inverted position.
e. The top person does not perform more than one and one quarter (1¼) flipping rotations and does not twist.
f. The bases/catchers remain stationary except as necessary for safety adjustments.

Don't forget Rocky Point's squad double-ups.

My HS required full stunting, and so did a lot of other high schools in my area. Including at some competitions. There was a better way to addresses me about that. Every HS has different rules & Regulations for HS cheer. Please don't assume I know nothing about HS cheer over one misleading advice :)

Thank you.

PS: It's a known FACT THAT MANY High school times cannot pull off All star type stunts. I never said ALL HIGH SCHOOLS COULDN'T DO IT.

Not upset, just letting you know there was another way to address me. Thank you for educating me.
I think s/he addressed you very respectfully, and there was no reason to get defensive.

I also suggest that you be careful about making generalizations about what "most" HS teams can do (you did say "most", not "many", which is very different). It is frankly offensive to the MANY people on this board who are associated with highly talented HS teams, and is in no way true of *most* of the HS teams I have experienced. It may be true of most of the teams you have seen in your area, but that doesn't make it true everywhere.

You may not have intended to be insulting, but you were, and it isn't the first time you have made such offensive, inaccurate generalizations about HS teams. @Tosh addressed you in a very polite and tactful manner.

I think s/he addressed you very respectfully, and there was no reason to get defensive.

I also suggest that you be careful about making generalizations about what "most" HS teams can do (you did say "most", not "many", which is very different). It is frankly offensive to the MANY people on this board who are associated with highly talented HS teams, and is in no way true of *most* of the HS teams I have experienced. It may be true of most of the teams you have seen in your area, but that doesn't make it true everywhere.

You may not have intended to be insulting, but you were, and it isn't the first time you have made such offensive, inaccurate generalizations about HS teams. @Tosh addressed you in a very polite and tactful manner.
Thank you for your input, but I rarely comment in the HS cheer sections and rarely say anything about HS cheer. So I honestly don't know what you're talking about with the inaccurate comments I've made regarding to HS cheer. But again, thank you for your thoughts :)

Thank you.

You are doing it again. You just don't know what you are talking about.
I don't think you realize that there is ONE set of rules that determines what is allowed or not at sanctioned high school competitions. THAT is what this thread is about, and there is only one correct answer to an "is it legal" question. If you don't know what the rules say, in writing, them you don't know if its legal or not. I have no idea what the high school rules are, because my CP doesn't cheer high school, so I would never even begin to try to answer this question. What individual teams can or cannot do, and do or do not allow doesn't matter to weather something is allowed under the rules or not. Bottom line is that if you don't know the rules, you have no business saying what is allowed or not. You are headed back down the same road giving advice on something you know nothing about, and not just in this thread. I suggest you stop yourself now.

It really isn't a "known fact" that high school teams cannot pull off all star stunts. There are entire high school teams out there made up of all star athletes, lots of them.

cbb0465e7ea6e465a3393d3657e113ed.jpg

I simply stated that you should be careful providing advice, clearly when you are not as familar as you may think you are with HS rules and regulations.....You said "High school cheer requires full stunt group.. Most high school teams cannot do all star stunts."
1st the regulations do not state this as HS is allowed to have single base stunts.
2nd There are many if not the majority of competitive HS squads that can execute all star stunts.....there are some AS stunts that are illegal for HS to do such as doubling down from a stunt; which only changed 2 years ago, until then, doubling down from a stunt was legal.....other than that there is not much a level 5 AS team can do that a HS team is not allowed to do.....
That being said, there are additional State, Competition and even school rules that may influence the stunts that a HS team may do. For example there are some schools, for various reasons, that does not allow stunting. This is called grounded. this year there was the big new when Florida State (I believe it was Florida State) got grounded because of a stunting accident.....all of this just to say that yes, individual schools may have additional rules/regulations that may prevent their team(s) from performing certain stunts; however, that does not make the illegal.

....And I just want to put this out there....and someone else also mentioned it; it is offensive to state that HS teams can not do the stunts that AS teams do....and your comment did offend me. I am and have been involved with HS cheer for over 16 years and our program is very competitive; no we do not have AS cheerleaders on our squad and this is simply because our cheerleaders are home grown, they usually start in 1st grade and stay with the program through HS.....over the years we have had less than a halful of AS cheerleaders that start with us at the HS level.
Our program is very competitive and our varsity squad will give any AS level 5 team a run for their money. Actually, there are quite a few HS teams that I am familiar with that will/can out stunt/perform many Level AS teams.

Back