College Alabama Cheerleading Rings

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I agree with Andre but also if a "club" of any kind (yet I feel that cheer probably put the most IN to a University) are able to represent a University then I don't see why they can't represent the University again by showing off their University on their prize. I get what they are saying and trying to make their logo represented on Rings prestigious but seriously what's the harm?

I agree! This might sound cocky, but if you win a National Championship for your university at all (no matter your club or sport), why would the university not want to flaunt it??

Going into the competition, did the cheerleaders know they wouldn't have gotten rings if they won? I'm just wondering.

I think the coaches atleast should have known about the policy but I would think in the back of their minds that the school would make an exception

The difference is if a club wins a national championship its like your JV or LOWER team winning a National Championship so it DOESNT matter to the school!!! But in this case Cheerleading IS THE VARSITY SPORT and should be looked at as athletes!

The difference is if a club wins a national championship its like your JV or LOWER team winning a National Championship so it DOESNT matter to the school!!! But in this case Cheerleading IS THE VARSITY SPORT and should be looked at as athletes!

But, actually, Cheer is NOT a Varsity sport at Alabama (or most other colleges/universities). They fall under the athletic department for budgetary reasons, but a Varsity sport is only those regulated by the NCAA.

Sorry I didnt mean it as they are under the athletic program, I meant it as they are the TOP DOG, there isnt another cheer program at Bama above them. Clubs sports are like 2nd string compared to NCAA sports. The cheer program is the top of the top at Bama. And if they are required to support the athletic program at Bama, the athletic program should supprt them.

And yes I know Cheer at bama is not a sport, sorry I was not clear.

I understand the university not wanting to pay for rings for foreseen cheerleading expenses. If a ring is $250 (and that's on the cheap side), multipy that by at least 22 (cheerleaders & coaches)=$5,500 in unforseen costs.
But if any Joe Smo can buy an Alabama shirt and wear the "A", the cheerleaders should get to use it too. Don't most schools have a university ring that only juniors, seniors, and graduates can buy? I know mine did. I'm sure they have a licensing agreement with a company that makes their university ring. Why can't the university have that company design the ring?

Arguing for UA (as devil's advocate): The NCAA regualtion required for a recognized title has been well established. If we award rings (or simply allow the use of the script A) for the cheerleading team, what would allow us to deny the same treatment for any other club sport that might win a "national" championship?

Well technically cheerleading is sanctioned and supported by university athletics, whereas most clubs can be started by any member of the university community. The university usually does not support clubs. So if they were looking for an out so they could let them use the A, that might be it.

But I doubt TPTB are loosing sleep over the cheerleaders not getting rings or getting to use the A or trying to find a way to help them.

Alabama administrators did not "take" anything away from this group of cheerleaders. Winning a TRUE national competition...being the number one team in the USA would be worthy of a request for a ring....but surely winning one of the many 'national' competitions is not. The cheerleaders are ambassadors of their university...they had their eyes wide open when they signed up, tried out for the team, the school is not taking advantage of them at all. This is NOT criticizing them..."national" in any other activity or sport means you are the ONLY team in the country at the top of the pyramid when all is said and done. They won a 'national level' competition, they are not national champions.

Alabama administrators did not "take" anything away from this group of cheerleaders. Winning a TRUE national competition...being the number one team in the USA would be worthy of a request for a ring....but surely winning one of the many 'national' competitions is not. The cheerleaders are ambassadors of their university...they had their eyes wide open when they signed up, tried out for the team, the school is not taking advantage of them at all. This is NOT criticizing them..."national" in any other activity or sport means you are the ONLY team in the country at the top of the pyramid when all is said and done. They won a 'national level' competition, they are not national champions.

Interesting perspective. Wrong, but interesting.

So why do other sports teams get rings for winning their conference? I mean if other sports only got rings for winning the National Championship I'd see your point but separating by conf is the same as splitting UCA/NCA etc. Recognition for a great accomplishment regardless of what it is should not create drama. These kids just want to represent their University the same way after they graduate the way they did while they were in school, on the field or on the mat and that is with the "A". Deserved anyway you cut it.

So why do other sports teams get rings for winning their conference? I mean if other sports only got rings for winning the National Championship I'd see your point but separating by conf is the same as splitting UCA/NCA etc. Recognition for a great accomplishment regardless of what it is should not create drama. These kids just want to represent their University the same way after they graduate the way they did while they were in school, on the field or on the mat and that is with the "A". Deserved anyway you cut it.
The hard work they do is applauded. The issue is what is a national championship? If UCA/NCA are owned and operated as one company, it is not a true championship. No other sport has EVERYONE compete and one winner crowned champs. NCAA rules for championship sports require a bracket format of elimination (like basketball final four) or regional qualifiers go on only, etc. Understand these kids want to rep their university. Why not push for sport recognition and then have a real format for championships? And AceDad...why is this wrong?

The hard work they do is applauded. The issue is what is a national championship? If UCA/NCA are owned and operated as one company, it is not a true championship. No other sport has EVERYONE compete and one winner crowned champs. NCAA rules for championship sports require a bracket format of elimination (like basketball final four) or regional qualifiers go on only, etc. Understand these kids want to rep their university. Why not push for sport recognition and then have a real format for championships? And AceDad...why is this wrong?

Everyone acknowledges that it's not an NCAA championship. But colleges recognize multiple championships from several NCAA levels (FBS/FCS in football, several NCAA divisions, plus NAIA, etc.). So no one can say that they are THE ONE AND ONLY national champion. They are national champion in division I or FBS or whatever. Sounds kind of like the UCA/NCA type issue.

Also, the BCS championship (which Alabama recently won and which I loudly cheered) does not have a bracket format of elimination and also isn't an NCAA championship.

Prior the the BCS formation, there were multiple recognized "national" champions in football based on multiple polls and I'm pretty sure every football team member got rings.
As I've said previously, I understand their position, even though I don't agree with it. But I just think your arguments have too many holes.

I'm not denying that I wish there was ONE, BUT there isn't at this point and I feel whoever wins whatever competition should be recognized the right way.

So at what point in this diatribe do we point the finger at Varsity Brands, the only group to profit from sponsoring Nationals, and ask them to pony up the cash?

Back