All-Star All Star Team And Hs Competitive Team

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As far as I know, there are no restrictions in New York. I think it usually depends on high school rules and the coach.

My sister does All Star and High School in SC. This season during high school season, she will have to miss every all star practice that falls on Wednesday night. Her all star gym owner is very supportive of high school cheer squads and allows her girls to make them their priority during high school season

Where I Live In SoCal You Can Do Both At The Same Time. These Are No Restrictions On How Many or What Sports You Can Play.

Our school district doesn't allow them to do both either, and at first I thought they can't tell us what to do. And now that we are in it, I don't know how she would even do both without being exhausted. It's not just high school competition team, it's all the games, assemblies and everything else too.

So long answer :).. It varies by your High School Sports Association by-laws. You should review them and determine if there is any reference to "outside" competitions and how many they can do in a year. They may prevent both just by the high school season overlapping with the all-star season and you can only "compete" so many times in a single season.

In Michigan you can't do both, unless your high school team does not compete in MHSAA events. If it is straight sideline cheer and not competitive, you can do both. Our state association makes the rules so local school districts are consistent with their practices.

CT as far as I know can do both..although I never did two sports in the same season (did aau volleyball but it's in the spring for girls, HS volleyball for girls is fall). Pretty sure you can.

Here's Ours....WV, not allowed...
TITLE 127
LEGISLATIVE RULE
WEST VIRGINIA SECONDARY SCHOOL ACTIVITIES COMMISSION

SERIES 2
ATHLETICS, PROVISIONS GOVERNING ELIGIBILITY

§127-2-10. Non-school Participation.

10.1. During the school year and while a member of a school team, a student shall neither participate on any formally organized non-school team in the same sport, nor shall the student compete as an individual unattached in non-school formally organized competition in the same sport. The following sports are exempted from the provisions of this rule: cross country, golf, swimming, tennis, track, and wrestling

CT as far as I know can do both..although I never did two sports in the same season (did aau volleyball but it's in the spring for girls, HS volleyball for girls is fall). Pretty sure you can.
i know my town (stamford) you can but others like fairfield you can't. norwalk you can and greenwich i don't think you can.

at my high school the rule from the athletic director is that you can't participate in any out of school sports with in-school sports but because cheerleading is listed as an activity you can do high school cheer & allstars. this is just in my town though since a couple towns over they make you choose:confused:

Wow...the things I learn. We don't have any rules like that here in Ontario, Canada. At the high school where I work, the majority of students who play school sports are on competitive teams in the same sport and many of these teams run at the same time as the school teams.

As far as cheerleading goes, there is no provincial high school competition. We had a local area high school competition until this year but the directors of the association put forth a motion that removes cheerleading as it was not considered a sport at the provincial level. The high schools compete at independent competitions or at provincial cheerleading federation competitions.

My daughter competes both High School on a HIGHLY competitive team and All-Stars in GA. Their first competition is in Sept for High School and their last is in November so it's a very short season. They are only allowed 8 competitions for Varsity and that includes Regions and State so while it's intense for those couple months the girls make it work :)

It might not even be the school itself in some cases.. my school's coach made me choose because it's 'the rule' (Even though kids do club soccer or field hockey as well as school teams). There are school teams that will allow you to do both. Also, a lot of times my allstar coach is friendly with the high school coaches in the area so she will try and work out schedules with them so if kids have practice 3-6 for high school, maybe they can leave 15-30 minutes early so they are 15-30 minutes late for allstar practice. That way they end up missing about the same amount of time for both.

In VA (at least where I live in central) if you don't play on the club team and have that kind of experience, you won't make the school team. Every single one of our school cheerleaders either currently does or used to cheer Allstar. Same thing with our soccer players, baseball teams, and field hockey/LAX. I think it's ridiculous that a school can dictate what type of activities your child can participate in outside of school. Who are they to determine what is too much a commitment frome each child.

Is Maine the only state that has cheerleading competitions exclusively in Jan-March? We don't have any in the fall.

Back