All-Star Anybody Else Dislike The ''cheerlebrity'' Phenomenon?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Reaching celebrity status happens in every sport though. And those young athletes become role models and celebrities in the eyes of the youth that participate in that sport.

On that note, if I reached the top of my sport, and was one of the best, I would be very happy in all the hard work put in had payed off. I wouldn't mind taking pictures with girls at competitions and such. But that is just me. I know at UCA Nationals in 2011 Whitney Love hung out with my team outside the milkhouse, just dancing and listening to music. It was a Blast.

I also agree with a few of the other posts on here about liking an athlete, and then liking a team. After I first watched Whitney Love tumble on youtube, I followed her gym more. Same with Kiara Nowlin.

Not to pick on maddie( not that many will
Believe that) but how many people think maddie would be considered a cheerlebrity without 2x2?

Not to pick on maddie( not that many will
Believe that) but how many people think maddie would be considered a cheerlebrity without 2x2?

yes, she was the point flyer on a high profile team and had 2by2 videos on the internet.

but she also won the 'golden ticket' contest for inside cheerleading, which is what put her on the cover of the magazine and had her writing monthly articles on her season. (the cover was december '09? i think? she then went on to win worlds the same season)

her partnership with iC was actually what sparked the initial meet and greets and publicity, not her videos on the internet.

add in the ball up 360 and you got yourself a celebrity.

That's something I will always scratch my head about. There are "cheerlebrities" that IMO aren't nearly as talented as many kids I know in our own gym. So why them over more talented kids?? That's a question I just can't answer but I won't take anything away from those that have attained "cheerlebrity" status. It just is what it is. I often ask myself that about famous singers. My 12 year old could sing circles around half of the disney stars out there right now...so why can't she get noticed? Why can't she be discovered? I just leave it in the hands of God and I know He knows best so whatever happens, come what may, as long as it's God's will for her life we are happy. :)

I honestly love the posts you've been contributing to this thread!

yes, she was the point flyer on a high profile team and had 2by2 videos on the internet.

but she also won the 'golden ticket' contest for inside cheerleading, which is what put her on the cover of the magazine and had her writing monthly articles on her season. (the cover was december '09? i think? she then went on to win worlds the same season)

her partnership with iC was actually what sparked the initial meet and greets and publicity, not her videos on the internet.

add in the ball up 360 and you got yourself a celebrity.
To weigh in on the ball up 360 what about this girl

Skill perfected amazingly, perfect body positions why is this girl not considered a cheerlebrity if we are basing on skills completed. Is it because she has not been on a high profiled team?

To weigh in on the ball up 360 what about this girl

Skill perfected amazingly, perfect body positions why is this girl not considered a cheerlebrity if we are basing on skills completed. Is it because she has not been on a high profiled team?

That was undoubtingly amazing...but to the industry leaders...what is she? What can that individual do for their company being on a team that isn't recognizable among the masses?

That was undoubtingly amazing...but to the industry leaders...what is she? What can that individual do for their company being on a team that isn't recognizable among the masses?
But if she is never highlighted how will they ever know. How will any athlete from team xy thats not your CEA get noticed? In reality side by side to maddie if both completed the stunt what would make maddie a cheerlebrity over Rachael.?

But if she is never highlighted how will they ever know. How will any athlete from team xy thats not your CEA get noticed? In reality side by side to maddie if both completed the stunt what would make maddie a cheerlebrity over Rachael.?

Lets ask varsity...they should know.

There have been "cheerlebrities" for years. Jennifer Cooper and Jess Betar at WC, Kenneth St John at ACE, Bucky O'Leary at Top Gun, etc, etc

The biggest difference in my opinion is that 12 year old girls didn't have Facebook and Twitter 9 years ago.

And with absolutely no offense to any of the above intended, there were likely more talented athletes on their own teams. But they did have great talent and they had "the look" as well. Combine that with coaches and teams that know how to out incredible routines on the floor to spotlight the talent an look and you have a "cheerlebrity".

What I hate about the whole cheerlebrity status.... People (adults) feeling that they are entitled to know every single move these KIDS make. These kids were just great athletes doing what they love to do. While most didn't intentionally seek out the status, we don't have a right to know their every move. We aren't paying their comp fees, tuition, etc., so they don't owe us anything.

Back