All-Star Anybody Else Dislike The ''cheerlebrity'' Phenomenon?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

At least in other sports, "the celebrities" are usually not ever children who are amateur (unpaid) athletes... They are professionals who sign with agents and earn paychecks, prize money, and endorsement deals. Their "celebrity status" often sets them up for life, and they often use this status to do things more important than any sport, such as pumping a good amount of their earned dollars into charitable causes. But obviously very little about being a "cheerlebrity" can help prepare a kid up for adulthood. haha. I'm sure most cheerleaders can remain normal, well-rounded, and down to earth despite their "fame", but I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of these kids are really getting a false sense of reality now. Maddie had bodyguards? Seriously? That makes me feel bad for her. At least she will enjoy college in peace!

Not true. Gymnasts are commonly 14-16 years old and are HUGE celebrities for their sport. ;)

I dont have a problem with the label cheerlebrity, I have the problem with the extremes it can go to. Also the fact that their are nameless athletes with incredible talent who people choose to overlook. Something that I always wondered was about 2x2 videos and the rise of the cheerlebity are they a help or a hinderence?

For the more general question- I think it's inevitable in any sport. It happens all the time and it's just a part of the game.

One a personal note regarding what I believe to be a positive aspect of some of the cheerlebrities, is being a positive role model. My daughter loves Maddie and became a huge Maddie fan after watching her on video, but especially in person at SE practices. She didn't know Maddie was "famous" (for lack of a better word), but she knew that there were qualities she saw in Maddie that she loved and/or admired.

In most cases that would be the end of the story. However, Maddie took the time to get to know my daughter beyond just sneaking a wave to her during practice. Maddie was (is) always so sweet to her and it has been very encouraging. My daughter is a flyer and got hurt last year. Maddie (along with mstealtoyou daughter) helped her overcome her fear. She gave her one of her old bows and CEA tank top (it had been Maddie's when she was my daughter's age), she bought her little presents throughout the season for encouragement (like when she hit a new skill or was discouraged with her performance at a competition). These little things meant (and mean) the world to her and made such a difference during some tougher times. Maddie would often take the time to go watch my daughter's performance (barring her getting mobbed beforehand lol) and tell her how proud of her she was. That is kindness, compassion, dedication to the sport. My daughter is just one person. Granted, we became friends of the Gardner's (I absolutely love Sarah!), but still-my daughter is just one person. She's not the only person to look up to Maddie, nor is she the only person Maddie has treated w/such kindness.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure plenty of you would get sick of hearing about it -so I'll leave it at that;What do I think of cheerlebrities? I think just like any sport, they can have a positive or negative influence over adolescents and children. I'm fortunate that I had the privilege to experience one who has such a positive influence on kids. Instead of posting about boys and where she was eating every 5 min., she was posting about someone who had written, emailed, messaged her, etc. I am also fortunate that there are so many girls at CEA to whom I can attributes many of these same qualities (like mstealtoyou daughters and quite a few others). We often talk about how we don't like the aspect of such young girls being on the same team as 16-18 yr olds, but I truly do not worry about that as much at our gym. It may seem that way on the surface to some people I'm sure, but really many of those girls are so precocious and are always studying, cheering, or competing. So the aspect of cheerlebrities doesn't bother me. Even if we're talking about another gym- let's say Kiara Nowlin from Cali. If my daughter looked up to her bc of her athleticism and talent w/tumbling, and had a poster of her on her wall as opposed to Miley Cyrus, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't bother me (in fact, I'd probably prefer it).

I love this! A couple of kids from my gym meet Maddie and her family before and say the same exact things that you said. I love Maddie, i think she is a great role model and carries herself very well. I agree with everything else that you mentioned as well. :)

How long ago did Jay make the first videos of Erica and Maddie and post them? 3 years ago? 4 years ago? More than that? Who honestly and truthfully could have predicted that things would have turned out like this?

I can tell you that when those videos of those two girls first came out, my daughter was like 9 or 10. I remember thinking to myself...wow how neat would that be to have someone capture all that for MY kids?? How neat would that be to have a youtube video that everyone is watching and admiring?? So in my personal opinion, I do think at least their parents knew or should have expected that it would lead to SOME kind of popularity. Obviously this was back before the "cheerlebrity" thing got crazy in our industry but I still think that having/allowing anyone to make a video of your child and putting it/allowing it to be put on the internet...you have to expect something COULD come of that. My youngest daughter sings. You better believe I put every video I can on youtube in hopes that someone will discover her. If that never happens, fine. But I would be the biggest liar of them all if I said I didn't hope that it may happen someday. It's her passion. It's her dream. Anyway, that's just my take on the whole 2X2 phenomenon. I personally love his videos BTW. ;)

I dont have a problem with the label cheerlebrity, I have the problem with the extremes it can go to. Also the fact that their are nameless athletes with incredible talent who people choose to overlook. Something that I always wondered was about 2x2 videos and the rise of the cheerlebity are they a help or a hinderence?

That's something I will always scratch my head about. There are "cheerlebrities" that IMO aren't nearly as talented as many kids I know in our own gym. So why them over more talented kids?? That's a question I just can't answer but I won't take anything away from those that have attained "cheerlebrity" status. It just is what it is. I often ask myself that about famous singers. My 12 year old could sing circles around half of the disney stars out there right now...so why can't she get noticed? Why can't she be discovered? I just leave it in the hands of God and I know He knows best so whatever happens, come what may, as long as it's God's will for her life we are happy. :)

That's something I will always scratch my head about. There are "cheerlebrities" that IMO aren't nearly as talented as many kids I know in our own gym. So why them over more talented kids?? That's a question I just can't answer but I won't take anything away from those that have attained "cheerlebrity" status. It just is what it is. I often ask myself that about famous singers. My 12 year old could sing circles around half of the disney stars out there right now...so why can't she get noticed? Why can't she be discovered? I just leave it in the hands of God and I know He knows best so whatever happens, come what may, as long as it's God's will for her life we are happy. :)
Now I really want to hear your daughter sing! Link?

Now I really want to hear your daughter sing! Link?
I think I saw a clip of her singing at a basketball game, am I remembering correctly Mclovin? I think it was in the Kudos/brag post. So sweet and the voice of an angel.

I think I saw a clip of her singing at a basketball game, am I remembering correctly Mclovin? I think it was in the Kudos/brag post. So sweet and the voice of an angel.

Yes, she has sang at several basketball games now. :) OU has really been using her a lot lately. She loves every minute of it. :)

As she should. She's AWESOME.

Awe, thank you!! :) My oldest daughter just text me from school and said Andrea was the only person at the talent show to receive a standing ovation!!! She said people were crying she did so good!! I can't wait to go this afternoon and hear it for myself!! :) #proudmama

I think it comes down to likablity and what the person themself desires. Yes, there may be some athletes that are more talented than "cheerlebrities," but they honestly just might not care about being in the spotlight, while others enjoy being the face of their team. Adam Levine from Maroon 5 used to play concerts with his back to the audience for years because he had such stage fright event though he is an amazing singer. It may just depend on who happens to enjoy the spotlight and who handles the pressure well. People "like" cheerlebrities not only for only their talent, but for their personalities too.

I think it comes down to likablity and what the person themself desires. Yes, there may be some athletes that are more talented than "cheerlebrities," but they honestly just might not care about being in the spotlight, while others enjoy being the face of their team. Adam Levine from Maroon 5 used to play concerts with his back to the audience for years because he had such stage fright event though he is an amazing singer. It may just depend on who happens to enjoy the spotlight and who handles the pressure well. People "like" cheerlebrities not only for only their talent, but for their personalities too.

Agreed and I think you can see that in singers, actors and the like as well. It's not always about the talent. There is a "look" that goes with it and a personality as well. You could have the voice of an angel but if you don't have the look or the personality, you'll never get anywhere. It's sad but very very true. Remember the Olympics in China? The little girl who sang at the opening ceremony wasn't the actual singer. The girl who REALLY sang did not have the "look" they wanted. So she sang and the little girl lip synced. One had the voice, the other the look. Looks win out over talent. Sad reality...

I kinda disagree that likeability makes a cheerlebity. But that's obviously what it's come too. Like in my eyes one of the biggest cheerlebrities even is ambrel mitchell for obvious reasons! Now I would agree that kiara and Whitney and even kelsey are on her level.

I kinda disagree that likeability makes a cheerlebity. But that's obviously what it's come too. Like in my eyes one of the biggest cheerlebrities even is ambrel mitchell for obvious reasons! Now I would agree that kiara and Whitney and even kelsey are on her level.

I don't like it...but it is reality. :-/

Latest posts

Back