Anyone Got Some Advice For Mental Blocks

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Joe

Apr 18, 2011
Hi i was a level 5 tumbler till about last May when i over rotated a layout full and landed head first and got a concussion. A month later when i came back i realized that i didnt feel like i remembered how to tumble and now ive been tumbling level 3 for a while but the only skills that im not afraid of is a standing tuck front tuck and standing handspring i got back round off tuck and round off handspring tuck and standing handspring tuck and i can still do layouts but i still can do any running tumbling. If u think u can help or have advice ill take it cause i was planning on going to UofL and i basically have a year left to get everything i had back so i can make UofL.

Mental blocks are the worst. But what my coach told me was you have to own the tumbling, don't let the tumbling own you. I tell myself that all the time while I am tumbling and it helps. I don't know if it will work for you, but it's just a suggestion. :)

Mental blocks are the worst. But what my coach told me was you have to own the tumbling, don't let the tumbling own you. I tell myself that all the time while I am tumbling and it helps. I don't know if it will work for you, but it's just a suggestion. :)
At this point ill try anything to get my tumbling back so i will and my season is ending so ill have time to work on it thank u

I beleive Debbie love has a great book on metal blocks if you go to her website you can look at it google for the love of tumbling. good luck

Reactions: Joe
Make sure your tumbling is something you want, and it is not more important to someone else that you get. Also, allow yourself small improvements, and don't expect it to come back in a day. I also tell my cheerleaders to remember all of the successes that they had while tumbling, and move on from the failures. If you stopped stunting at a specific level because a stunt dropped, we wouldn't see the stunts that we see today. Allow the same failures in tumbling that you allow in stuning.

the kids in the gym i coach at often get better when they quit stressing about their tumbling.
they focus so much on things like tryouts and competition, and forget to just think about themselves.
there isn't much a coach can do for a kid who just isn't throwing a skill (not saying that is you) there is something in the kid that just has to click and things will come. we can only spot a skill so many times. the athlete has to decide that they are ready to throw it.

One of my coach always tells me that I have to want the tumbling more than I fear it. My other coach however tells me to pretend he's spotting me. My last tip is to just go for it, don't tihnk about it too much becasue the more you think about it the more afaid you'll be.

I decided I'm not calling it a mental "block." That's too permanent. I think I'm gonna call it a mental marshmallow. Or a mental sandcastle. You CAN get through it!
As someone who has had their fair share of mental "marshmallows" in the past, it sure as heck does not feel as temporary or frivolous as a "marshmallow" or "sandcastle". It definitely feels more like cement wall, haha. It is especially frustrating when a coach mistakes a mental block for an athlete being stubborn. Because if the athlete could throw the skill, they WOULD and they probably want to throw it 10x more than anyone in the entire gym wants them to. A mental block feels as if your body cannot physically do the skill, even though it is purely mental. Typing all this brought back a lot of bad memories, man mental blocks SUCK :confused:

As someone who has had their fair share of mental "marshmallows" in the past, it sure as heck does not feel as temporary or frivolous as a "marshmallow" or "sandcastle". It definitely feels more like cement wall, haha. It is especially frustrating when a coach mistakes a mental block for an athlete being stubborn. Because if the athlete could throw the skill, they WOULD and they probably want to throw it 10x more than anyone in the entire gym wants them to. A mental block feels as if your body cannot physically do the skill, even though it is purely mental. Typing all this brought back a lot of bad memories, man mental blocks SUCK :confused:
Thats exactly how i feel

Back