All-Star As The Season Closes Out - Are You Switching Gyms Or Staying?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

DEF. staying at my gym. <3
ive been at cheer command going on 7 years now and its my second family . i could never imagine myself leaving.

We always have new kids joining the team, and we give odur flying spots to the best flyers, new or not. This has been a problem with some of the parents who do not feel that a 'new' girl should get to fly when her daughter is a retiring team member, but when all is said and done, a good coach will do what is best for the team, notout someone in the air for being a veteran team member. Hopefully you will have the same findings at your new gym. Good luck!

I think this is a problem with people as a whole now, they don't look at what's best for the TEAM just their child. I am a firm believer in the best person for the job gets the spot....bottom line. It's kind of like High School teams where they say a Freshman can't make Varsity.....sorry but if they are better and work hard then they should get the spot. If someone wants the spot then put the time in and WORK hard to EARN it. Ok i'm off the soap box now lol

i always have found it odd that leaving a gym for another one is such a BIG deal in the all star world. in other sports its perfectly ok to try out for another team esp. if that team is just plain better.

i always have found it odd that leaving a gym for another one is such a BIG deal in the all star world. in other sports its perfectly ok to try out for another team esp. if that team is just plain better.
My brother (who plays HS volleyball) has switched gyms all the time, especially since some change year to year whether or not they'll have an allstar boys team (Depending on signups/interest). He's played for several different clubs and he's never had a problem from ANY of his coaches after switching. Granted, they know he switches to wherever his HS coach wants him to be, so maybe they just get mad at coach. :p Maybe with other sports since there's such a turnover year to year, you don't really notice it?

@Trilogy obsessed - gotta disagree with you on this. My son plays travel baseball - it is a big deal when players leave one team for another team. You can have all the same drama that plays out in cheer gyms -"oh, how could they", "they're not a team player, only looking out for themselves", etc. etc. Then you'll have the parents who will no longer speak to other parents.
(of course, I also have to admit there have been instances at both my daughter's gym and on my son's teams that you are GRATEFUL to see a kid and their parents leave - "yah, the diva and her mom are somebody else's problem" or "god's gift to baseball and his dad are gone". -----Gee, that was harsh.:oops:

@Trilogy obsessed - gotta disagree with you on this. My son plays travel baseball - it is a big deal when players leave one team for another team. You can have all the same drama that plays out in cheer gyms -"oh, how could they", "they're not a team player, only looking out for themselves", etc. etc. Then you'll have the parents who will no longer speak to other parents.
(of course, I also have to admit there have been instances at both my daughter's gym and on my son's teams that you are GRATEFUL to see a kid and their parents leave - "yah, the diva and her mom are somebody else's problem" or "god's gift to baseball and his dad are gone". -----Gee, that was harsh.:oops:
I remember dancing and being thankful a girl didn't come back to competition..granted she was I think 12 at the time, had little parental involvement, and she swore like a sailor with a rotten attitude to boot. I remember one of the things she said about our dance instructor (the woman who would pick her up for competitions/practices/etc)..wouldn't say it about someone I hated!

It is because in volleyball or many other sports there is a set position you play and you can sub people in and out. In cheerleading you have to choreography someone into a routine, make sure they are the right type of athlete for a job, and learn the routine enough to hit.

In volleyball your center can get hurt in warmups, sub someone in and go play.

In cheer when someone gets hurt in warmups you have to either grab a substitute or have that entire person part mark.

I'm not exactly sure if I'm staying or leaving. I have made a list of reasons to stay and reasons to go, but I just can't decide. I've been going to open gyms at some different gyms and I think I've found a new one, but it's pretty expensive, and my mom doesn't know if she can afford it. I would miss all the friends I've made at my gym now, but things have just gone down hill this year. I don't think it would be a happy season next year if I stayed. And I went to open gym at this one gym where they had me throwing fulls the first day he saw my layout, so then I asked my self "why have I been doing privates where I cheer now for almost a year and still not doing fulls?!"

what gym

im staying at valley elite<3 i could never leave the people i cheer with. its like having to leave your family behind.

Agreed! We are definitely looking very carefully. We are visiting 3 gyms besides the one we're at before tryouts. I have a list of questions a mile long. People act like I'm crazy, but at least I won't be stuck trying to get a release in a few months!

We did the same whem we switched a while back. I was waiting for the coaches/owners to start rolling thier eyes because we had a LOT of questions. They took their time and answered every one of them and added some more they would have asked as well. We are still there today. I don't think you can ask too many questions especially when you are dealing with your childs well being.

Definitely staying. After switching to my gym this year, I've found my second home. I love everyone at my gym and even though I may have to drive 45 mins, I'd NEVER leave. <3

Staying :) Dream Allstars is just the most family-oriented gym I know AND we have great coaches. We lost two coaches (they moved to NC) this past year but we have actually progressed more with our new coach. Oh, and we go to both Cheersport AND World's.

Back