All-Star As The Season Closes Out - Are You Switching Gyms Or Staying?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

anythingforcheer

Cheer Parent
Feb 25, 2010
As the season comes to a close, the dreadful decision comes about for parents - do we stay or do we go? What would be the determining factor for you switching gyms in the new season?

1. Tuition Cost
2. Lack of Progression
3. Staff Unprofessionalism
4. CP wants to cheer on Worlds Team
5. Professionally Trained Coaches
6. Location
7. Other

we are staying. we really like how our gym is run. we like how it's slowly growing, but not at a pace that exceeds it's ability to be run well. last season was amazing and for our particular team this season was outstanding (undefeated except for one comp got 2nd). NCA and UCA jackets and we have one more competition coming up. we did get a bid to all levels, but 3 parents didn't want to go, so... :( hoping all levels is put in the contract for next year.
if my cp was older (she's only 8), i'd be looking to move somewhere that does go to worlds, i'd imagine, but for now we'll stay here. there isn't a better gym (IMHO) within the distance i'm currently willing to drive anyhow...

We may be switching gyms. We chose this gym because they had a partial season team that was just starting, so my older daughter would be able to start right away. Forgot to ask about full season costs! :eek: Don't know if you saw my other thread, but tuition at our current gym is HIGH. Like over $200/month high--per kid. For just tuition--uniforms, comp fees, choreography, etc. are all in addition to that. So I'd be spending around $700/month for 2 kids for tuition and comp fees. Plus I have to buy 2 uniforms, 2 choreography fees, travel, etc.--oh, and of course we'd have to pay our regular non-cheer bills too! After posting my tuition thread, I have come to realize that I was right and that is abnormally high (despite the gym's claims to the contrary).

So, to answer your question, tuition cost is my number one deciding factor right now. We looooove our gym, but I just plain don't know if I can afford to spend that much. And I actually don't know if I want to when there are so many other programs here to choose from--I'd like to have a few dollars a month for non-cheer fun.

I've found about 4 gyms that I am considering that we will visit in April. Assuming their costs are roughly the same, the other 2 things that would influence my decision the most are what level teams they offer, and what comps they go to. We've been cheering for 3 years now and have never been to Cheersport or NCA. We'd like to go if we find a gym that has everything else we're looking for and goes to one of those.

we are staying. we really like how our gym is run. we like how it's slowly growing, but not at a pace that exceeds it's ability to be run well. last season was amazing and for our particular team this season was outstanding (undefeated except for one comp got 2nd). NCA and UCA jackets and we have one more competition coming up. we did get a bid to all levels, but 3 parents didn't want to go, so... :( hoping all levels is put in the contract for next year.
if my cp was older (she's only 8), i'd be looking to move somewhere that does go to worlds, i'd imagine, but for now we'll stay here. there isn't a better gym (IMHO) within the distance i'm currently willing to drive anyhow...

Sounds like you're making the right decision! Sounds like they are doing great, and by the time your cp is ready to go to Worlds I'm sure your gym be headed there.

I would never switch gyms, unless my parents forced me to move across the country. As far as moving to our rivals gym, I would rather get shot in the face. JKJKJKJK, but I would NEVER switch. I love my coaches, team, routine, uniform, and gym.

I am trying out for a new gym. The main reason I want to change is #3 and #7. The coaches are rude and they often have negative conversations about parents with other parents. Also, the competition schedule changes often so the parents have a hard time planning for them.

We are staying. My cp is happy, has friends and she is able to move levels at a rate that not only matches her tumbling ability but her emotional ability as well. She is young and we have no reason to rush her through the process. She is going into her 6th season at 8 going on 9 and still loves it above everything else. How can you ask for more?

As the season comes to a close, the dreadful decision comes about for parents - do we stay or do we go? What would be the determining factor for you switching gyms in the new season?

1. Tuition Cost
2. Lack of Progression
3. Staff Unprofessionalism
4. CP wants to cheer on Worlds Team
5. Professionally Trained Coaches
6. Location
7. Other

We are considering switching and the two biggies for us are:

Lack of progression
Staff unprofessionalism

It would almost be worth it just to see the look on my daughter's face :eek: if I told her I thought she should try out for the mega-gym (with the well-earned championships to go with it) that is 35 minutes down the road. Would never happen. Nothing against the big gym, but she loves her gym and the coaches and her teammates. She knows most of the people there and loves the homey feel. And our gym did very well for itself this year. We had 4 teams this year and brought home 2 NCA jackets and 3 UCA jackets. (just couldn't resist a little plug)

Defenitly staying! In the years past we have changed gyms but had great reasons too.
some reasons were 1) the gym shut down 2) Coaches were behaving in manners that were unprofessional with the athletes 3) one year our current gym in the middle of the season split in two... it became a new name with a new director and the other directors went to another gym 4) our current gym didnt have a team for kayla so we switched then went back when she was senior age. Some people have to go through some gyms to find the perfect fit for their kid. I also have 2 kids so I had to find a good fit for both kids not just one. We are definitly staying at Texas and will be there till my youngest daughter finishes high school :)

I'm leaving CEA! Enough is enough! Maddie has been point for way too long, I keep waiting for my "big show" and get shot down everytime. You think being their number one fan, they'd atleast let me run across the mat during a performance, or maybe give me a fist pump while watching in the VIP section.........but NO!!!!!! Thats it. Craptastic Allstars for me!

We are staying...cp has progressed more at Spirit and they do their tumbling progression consistent with what you would find in gymnastics. They stress "perfection before progression" which is the MOST important factor to me when looking for a gym. I would even pay more for it but I don't have to because they are one of the lower cost gyms in the DFW area. The only way we would move is if they didn't have a team for her...but with the new location being the same distance North of us as Arlington is south...we have lots of options there :)

Back