Bhs?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 18, 2012
Alright, so I want to get on the Varsity Competition squad next year and the requirements are a BHS and a standing tuck.

Well, all I have right now is my back/front walkovers. I can't take tumbling classes because they're all during the week and I have cheer practice almost everyday. So what are some good tips on getting a back handspring?

I saw somewhere that a good way to start working it is to add a little hop instead of a backbend for a walkover - can someone possibly explain this better for me? Another technique I heard is snapping your legs together at the height of your walkover and snapping down instead of landing with your feet apart?

Any tips would be really great. I have a friend who has a bhs and she's going to teach me, but I'd like to get it within a two week time period (I have a year to get it obviously, but I want to move on to tucks asap!)

Thank you! :)

Not sure what everyone else will say but if you're looking to get both these skill and not get hurt I would recommend finding someone who has taught it before to help you. Bad technique can not only look ugly but can also get you very hurt.

When the gym we were at didn't have good tumbling instructors we found a college cheerleader that had coached before to help CP get her BHS etc..

Good luck thou.

Not sure what everyone else will say but if you're looking to get both these skill and not get hurt I would recommend finding someone who has taught it before to help you. Bad technique can not only look ugly but can also get you very hurt.

When the gym we were at didn't have good tumbling instructors we found a college cheerleader that had coached before to help CP get her BHS etc..

Good luck thou.

Thanks! I would really like to join a gym, but I can't find any gyms with weekend classes so it's really hard to do that. A gym would probably be safer and give a better technique, there's none around where I live that give classes on the days I need.

you can try getting private lessons with a tumbling instructor. If they teach gymnastics they will teach you a lot about technique. Privite lessons help a LOT but you still might not get in 2 weeks

Not sure why you posted requesting the same help two times unless you are hoping someone eventually tells you what you want to hear but my advise from the other post Tumbling? | Fierce Board - We Talk Cheerleading remains the same...
If no local gymnastics or cheerleading center for you to take classes or lessons at go talk to the varsity coach and ask for their help assuming they are trained and certified. If they do not teach tumbling themselves maybe they know someone who does. Under no circumstances should you rely on an untrained person to teach you as it will increase your chance of injury (and theirs) and if not taught and learned properly will prevent you from progressing to more advanced skills or tumbling combinations.

Talk to the varsity coach. You are probably not the only person in this scenario and it would be in the coaches best interest to try helping you.

Latest posts

Back