All-Star Cali Aces Jamz Incident

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 8, 2012
So in case you weren't aware: A few girls from California Allstars Aces were injured during their performance at JAMZ in California today... From what I understand, a torn ACL, bruised rib cage, head injuries and blood all play a part in the incident...

Here is a video of the incident:

Pray for these girls! Coach says they'll be okay, but obviously a torn ACL is nothing to play around with... She'll be out for a lot of months...

It seems as though the girl got into the wrong lane, and then tumbled into somebody coming the opposite way (0:38). They continued the routine. You can see one girl walking off the mat and being carried off to the right, and one girl being carried off and collapsing on the left (0:55). Then you can see a girl finishing her alternate tumbling pass - like a champ - proceed to wipe blood off of her face at the side of the mat (1:32). Apparently her flyer was one involved in the incident? Then after multiple stunts fail to go up, the beginning of their pyramid, and 3 different coaches walking onto the floor... the routine is finally stopped.

APPALLING!!!!! Jamz should be assessed a fine for allowing the continuation of this routine because of the injuries that could have and did take place after the initial injury. RulesGuy Why is there nothing in place to stop routines when something like this happens? I have seen people crawl off of floors and coaches don't stop the music. An athletic trainer or EMT should be watching every performance, and not standing behind a curtain or in another room waiting for a call. If I was the parent of an athlete that was injured post-intial injury, it would be grounds for much more than a simple doctor's visit.

I like the idea of an EMT being able to call a routine to stop if they feel like it is a safety issue.
With my above post taken into account I will already bring up the negative that some people will try to discredit this idea with:

1. EMT's don't know about cheer and if it is serious
2. Routines will be stopped when they don't need to be

my comment back will be. It is better to be safe then sorry. Most competition companies will give you a good 20 minutes or so to regroup. If the athlete is not on the floor for the second performance then the EMT did the right thing, case and point.

APPALLING!!!!! Jamz should be assessed a fine for allowing the continuation of this routine because of the injuries that could have and did take place after the initial injury. RulesGuy Why is there nothing in place to stop routines when something like this happens? I have seen people crawl off of floors and coaches don't stop the music. An athletic trainer or EMT should be watching every performance, and not standing behind a curtain or in another room waiting for a call. If I was the parent of an athlete that was injured post-intial injury, it would be grounds for much more than a simple doctor's visit.
At a jamfest competition a few years ago, a team from my old gym was competing and someone got hurt. The boy hurt his ankle on the beginning o his pass and proceeded to crawl across the floor so he wouldn't get hurt. The coaches were screaming at him to get off the floor and the person to stop the music. The music didn't stop so the boy literally crawled to his stunt spot and miraculously finished the routine. He had to be carried off stage. This incident was similar, why did no one stop the music and where were the EMTs? Makes me question some of these competition companies

At a jamfest competition a few years ago, a team from my old gym was competing and someone got hurt. The boy hurt his ankle on the beginning o his pass and proceeded to crawl across the floor so he wouldn't get hurt. The coaches were screaming at him to get off the floor and the person to stop the music. The music didn't stop so the boy literally crawled to his stunt spot and miraculously finished the routine. He had to be carried off stage. This incident was similar, why did no one stop the music and where were the EMTs? Makes me question some of these competition companies
What team was this and year? I feel like i saw this

It appears to me that the girl who does the alternate pass is bleeding. After she finishes her tumbling pass around 1:30ish from our view back left to front right, she walks to the side wiping her face. I stopped watching after a few seconds, but she didn't go back in, she kept wiping her face. Someone in a blue shirt is gesturing near her. I hope they are saying stop the music.

It appears to me that the girl who does the alternate pass is bleeding. After she finishes her tumbling pass around 1:30ish from our view back left to front right, she walks to the side wiping her face. I stopped watching after a few seconds, but she didn't go back in, she kept wiping her face. Someone in a blue shirt is gesturing near her. I hope they are saying stop the music.
I saw that after her stunt she some how gets hit in the face adn then left to her corner for her pass and didn't even finish the basket.

She thought she was bleeding but it was really her flyers blood.

normally, i am against videos like this being posted, but i did see that their own coach posted it giving them praise for literally never stopping, so i'll let it go.

praying for a recovery of all athletes involved.

this isn't specifically about aces, but why is it that we feel the need to never stop? i see sooo many cheerleaders refuse to tell their coaches they are hurt because they want to push through it or they're afraid they'll risk losing for the team. in some cases, even making the initial injury even worse. i know no one wants to be "that girl" who stopped the routine, but really... why do we try to be superheroes? bruised ribs, an acl tear, and more than one girl bleeding and they kept going. i think at that point i would have sat down on the mat until they turned the music off. it just became a hazard to every girl on that team. what if your base got a concussion and is dizzy or the flyer is dripping blood down onto the entire group? it just isn't safe for anyone.

of course, i still commend the girls for doing what they thought was right. and they still looked awesome even with the circumstances. but i cringed through that entire video. maybe this will inspire some coaches to discuss "when it is okay to stop" with their kids.

This is sad to watch, but it can happen to any of us. I was watching saying oh no she is in the wrong panel!! I believe that it is the coaches duties to stop the music immediately. Last year at cheersport nationals I had a girl do a back flip out of a level 3 stunt and landed on her arm she came up and looked at her arm which was completely in an S Shape. We signalled to our music person from our gym to stop the music as we ran on the floor. Later we were able to compete again with a replacement. She needed surgery with pins and has not done cheer since. Coaches need to know when it is time to stop the music, you know your kids and what looks right or not. Last year also I saw a girl get kicked in the head from tumbling from another team and come up looking like she was lost and not coherent throught the routine. I would have stopped it, but I don't know if other program's know that they can do it and it won't hinder There score. Not just for the athletes safety, but for your own protection.

Back