High School Camp? Or No Camp?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As a coach, the only reason to go to summer camps is for the team bonding experience. Private camps are better overall to fit your team's specific needs and goals. However, when I cheered the private camp we did was still so pointless. But we needed it because our coach was absolutely clueless. So camps are WONDERFUL for those kinds of coaches. I'm sure they're great for other coaches that know what they're doing too though.

This summer, if I decide to have try-outs before school starts, then my team will do a "camp." It will just be at a gym for three days strictly to learn cheers, dances, and stunts to get ready for football sesason. That way I have full control over what exactly they learn. When I want to learn some new cheers or dances, then I'll probably buy some of the DVD's from NCA's summer camp.

IMO, camp is the second most amazing time of year (Nationals being #1). Camp comes right after tryouts so the girls are still loving each other. We get to compete for camp champs. Which is a big deal, because LA has some STUD medium varsity teams. The team bonding experience is great for our team to get started on the right path. And we set team and personal goals at camp so we get to see if we accomplish our goals by nationals. Go to camp, it's soooo worth it!

We've had good luck at V!ROC camps. Its a varsity brand thing. They are a choreography company so they were able to help the teams with different transitions and pyramids. And when I didn't like something they were teaching my team (the skills were a little elementary for my varsity) I told them and they immediately got an instructor to teach them something harder. It felt like a private camp but we were with other teams. It was a great bonding experience.

Private camps are the way to go! Just as everyone was saying, when I was on high school cheer we went to uca camp and I loved it of course because it was so fun! But if you're putting all this money into camp it should be more than just fun. Now that I am a coach, I know how much more useful a 3 day private stunt camp is.

Personally, I think camp was when our team really came together as a team every year! Yes, sometimes we left with nothing more than a few new cheers, but we also left as a team, and when we arrived we were usually just 20 girl who were all on the cheer team. If you're looking for strictly stunting I would 100% recommend Speed Camp!! They come to you, and its is nothing but cool new stunts! Not to mention the camps are run by UK and Louisville cheerleaders so your team gets instructors they really look up to! I am a coach now, and my kids go to Speed Camp every year, and the stunts they learn are awesome and innovative! At the same time, if you are a beginning team, they will teach you the basics, which is always really helpful!

I love camp! My coach for highschool is the owner of my all star gym so she puts on a camp at the beach, we stay for 4 days and usually 3 other schools come. The coaches of my all star gym and some others (Oscar from TG) come and teach everything. We do workouts on the beach and then stunting inside. It's a great experience and so fun!

Back