All-Star Cheer Image And Appearance

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
I like the read the USASF's First Friday newsletter..and this issue they mentioned an Image and Appearance Summit which caught my eye. Specifically, it discusses a meeting of uniform/makeup suppliers and others to discuss the image/appearance of allstar cheer athletes and to encourage companies to take a positive leadership role in their endeavors. They would also be discussing the current image of the younger cheerleaders and how it relates to those outside of allstar cheer (and what the outside world might take from it as it stands now). It also mentioned a discussion of 'Appropriate Choreography' and creating guidelines for what counts as such. I was curious as to people's thoughts on this summit and the topics covered..

Personally, I AM intrigued about the uniform/appropriate choreography conversation. On here we've had ridiculously long discussions on what we believe is/isn't appropriate for various age groups and clearly we don't all agree completely, so I'd be interested to see what is discussed and what guidelines they could possibly put forth. Will it come down to guidelines about uniform length for younger athletes? Will there actually be stricter deductions for 'inappropriate' choreography? Is it necessary to start putting these types of regulations down in order to be seen as 'legitimate' and is this a step we are willing to take, knowing there are things we might have to give up in that pursuit?

Have at it. :D

I really want to see how much they are going to get into the uniform topic. We've had thread after thread about uniforms and what is appropriate and what is just simply creative. I want to see what rules they might come up with and how involved they will get. Also, I want to know how much interference the cheer world is willing USASF to have.

im really interested to see what they are talking about for uniforms. Is it that younger girls shouldn't be wearing revealing clothing? Is it that uniforms are just plain ugly? Do they need to tame uniforms now, with cutouts etc.?

And i'm really interested in the choreography aspect, because i believe that would be an event producer call.

i think they can add all the guidelines they want, but people will complain because it hinders "creativity" and puts too many limitations on the gym's artistic view or whatever. and then, how do you train someone to find what is inappropriate and what is okay?
With that, I look at gymnastics leotards. In some areas they cover more (full arm, torso, and bottom/lady bits for girls) if not as much as cheer unis now (particularly if we're talking a TG uni ;) I kid I kid)..do people feel their creativity is stifled with such a set limit for styles? Are they looking to have a set length for younger ones maybe?

It was today, I wonder if there's anyone here who was privy to the discussion. I thought it was an interesting topic. And @imrichhowboutu , I'm asking because you list choreography in your sig, do you do dance choreo? If so, would a meeting/ruling like this change your choreo setup? Would you change/add/take out any moves and such if there were a more strict penalty, or do you think teams will be willing to 'risk' it?

As @ElitePanthers said I'm curious to see how much interference the USASF is going to have in this, especially since the uniform part is so business rooted. It seems to me that there are enough subjective rules now, not to mention way too many things that are left at the discretion and responsibility of the EP to enforce. If this happens, I hope it's an actual, across the board, flat out, no grey area rule. But how do you even define some of these things? Are we just going to say "suggestive dancing" is a penalty at the judges discretion? I think everyone would have a different definition. Can you even define that? "It is not OK for Minis to booty shake" "It is not ok for Youth to body role" And on that note, why are those things any worse at 6 than 16? This one's a lot to think about...

After the post about inappropriate music for young teams to dance to, I wonder if that will be mentioned. Frankly I think it's common sense, but after reading how many young teams bump and grind to dubious song choices ... and then there's also the bleeping out of expletives when everyone knows what's being bleeped.

I just don't see how it's possible to create an objective, clear rule about anything that's so vague. "Appropriate," "tasteful," these are immeasurable on a strict scale. Totally in the eye of the beholder.
I've seen Minis shimmy like Charo and I've seen Seniors pretty much booty clap on stage at Worlds. Neither was "appropriate" to me, but I guess it was fine for others.

Ok I have to first state that I come from a different background. I used to be in criminal justice and while I will be the first to admit that I don't know a darn thing about
Choreography, dance, costume etc I can absolutely say that I have always been concerned that cheer events could possibly be a predators dream.

Let's never forget that our events are open to the public and that not all attendees are proud parents. I would guarantee that every crowd has a pervert or two. I don't mean to be Debbie downer or discourage anyone from attending or competing BUT let's not ignore this reality.

I feel blessed that our gym understands and respects the idea that uniforms should be age appropriate And I don't have answers on how to keep Undesirables out but I think that self editing could go a long way. And people let's remember to keep our eyes on our kids at these events. I've never heard of any problems but that doesn't mean danger isn't lurking. .

It was today, I wonder if there's anyone here who was privy to the discussion. I thought it was an interesting topic. And @imrichhowboutu , I'm asking because you list choreography in your sig, do you do dance choreo? If so, would a meeting/ruling like this change your choreo setup? Would you change/add/take out any moves and such if there were a more strict penalty, or do you think teams will be willing to 'risk' it?
I personally dont do anything risque in dances that I choreography. and if I ever do something near delicate regions, I always instruct the girls to watch where their hands go.

i have no problems with the uniforms with the stomach area showing, i think the long sleeves make them look nice. i do however have a problem with some of the dance gestures, especially in the younger girls. my cp is 7 and this is her first year but if the choreographer has them running the hands along their body or something like that i will speak up.

I think that what's "risque" also varies by the area. Dances that might seem tame in one part of the country would be excoriated in ours. Some places you'd almost never see a youth or mini team wearing uniforms with a bare midriff. In other places it's quite common.

With that, I look at gymnastics leotards. In some areas they cover more (full arm, torso, and bottom/lady bits for girls) if not as much as cheer unis now (particularly if we're talking a TG uni ;) I kid I kid)..do people feel their creativity is stifled with such a set limit for styles? Are they looking to have a set length for younger ones maybe?

at least with gymnastic leotards they are all basically the same design. Same with other professional sports. In All Star Cheer you have traditional (SOT, CAS) to gogo dancing, ie. topgun. I really think it's to broad of a spectrum. The new STUNT format has a more athletic uniform that is totally diffrent from traditional cheer. Are the unis what puts the star in All Star?? Varsity is making a lot of $$ for all the new innovative designs and embellishements. I really don't see it changing to much.
As for the choreo if we want to be taken seriously as a sport I think guidelines to music and dance moves should have some limitations but in a creative aspect it would be hard to uphold. It is to subjective and to gray of an area on a score sheet. I think the dancing, unis and glitter are a tool to attract kids to the sport. What little girl doesn't love that kinda stuff? I think that parents when shopping for a gym need to consider what their personal feelings are on these things and look at the possible gym choices and see where they stand. Some gyms are much more conservstive than others.

Back