All-Star Cheer Image And Appearance

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i was thinking about this. there is no way to limit the design of them. because if varsity doesnt make it, then people will find someone who will.

the only thing they can limit is the amount of skin showing. They did it for college nationals. People didn't like it at first but it was fine. You are able to show skin but there are rules as to how much.

Is it really necessary for a uniform to be backless, or a halter top, etc? Or have a skirt that is less than 6 inches high?
I think there is a difference between athletic and hoochie. BUT, we let girls practice in sports bras and spandex. and most uniforms cover more than that.

Other sports practice/compete in clothing that is just as revealing

I think there are some things we could probably all agree on 'Not being acceptable' for certain age groups. If a song has to have something bleeped out, it can't be used in a Minis routine or something..

In case anyone was curious, I know some people at the meeting are Varsity Uniforms, GK Uniforms, Fancy Face Cosmetics, and I believe one other uniform company (the First Friday link won't open for me for some reason). I don't know if anyone else showed up..

I absolutely recognize the difficulty of instituting clear and reasonable guidelines, But i love that they are looking into doing so. I don't want to see suggestive moves by 8 OR 18 year olds at a competition that includes all ages - I am sick of girls turning to the audience and doing bootie shakes and other similar moves. As far as uniforms -I readily admit I'm on the conservative end, but it is ridiculous to see a uni that a girl cannot wear a sports bra with. perhaps they could start in terms of things that are that basic.

@full pass - completely agree about the appeal to predators, there is a reason child pageants are restricted to family and guests, with the ridiculous makeup and unis and dance moves some gyms employ the same concerns could easily be raised about comps.

I agree with @tinytumblersmom part of the appeal of this sport is the uniforms, glitter, and hairbows. We're a unique brand of athlete in that we don't just have to compete, we have to perform. The sparkles, crop tops, rhine stones, and hude bows are as much a part of cheerleading as back tucks or tick tocks

i agree that the glitz is a part of cheer, but why does that part have to be so risque? i don't think crop tops need to go away, or the make up or hair bows need to be limited. but, i think that by removing the extremely skin-baring uniforms, this sport will gain more support from outsiders.

i'm relating this to the way people look at dancers. obviously, dance is a sport too, but people don't give it respect because all they see are girls strutting around in spandex bandeaus and shortie shorts. sadly, people are judgemental, and the first thing they see are the uniforms/costumes.

i was thinking about this. there is no way to limit the design of them. because if varsity doesnt make it, then people will find someone who will.

the only thing they can limit is the amount of skin showing. They did it for college nationals. People didn't like it at first but it was fine. You are able to show skin but there are rules as to how much.

Is it really necessary for a uniform to be backless, or a halter top, etc? Or have a skirt that is less than 6 inches high?
I think there is a difference between athletic and hoochie. BUT, we let girls practice in sports bras and spandex. and most uniforms cover more than that.

Other sports practice/compete in clothing that is just as revealing

I always agree with a good portion of whatever you post. But, in reference to the "other sports" portion... would you elaborate a little more. I mean, in certain sports like swimming and diving, yeah, it is a necessity to be in a swim suit. And even the uber-competitive swimmers wear long suits now. Or gymnastics, I guess they have to be in a leotard to be judged based off on execution, etc. Maybe it's late, or I am just really having trouble coming up with another sport that most athletes wear skimpy stuff for the fun of it, or for the "creativity" element.

And I think a lot of the issue people have with the appearance of allstars is that even if they can get past the midriff tops on their pre-pubescent daughter, they have a hard time envisioning their daughter wearing said uniform all the while dancing to the Pussycat Dolls.

And I think a lot of the issue people have with the appearance of allstars is that even if they can get past the midriff tops on their pre-pubescent daughter, they have a hard time envisioning their daughter wearing said uniform all the while dancing to the Pussycat Dolls.

I think the makeup has a bit to do with it as well. I've always been perturbed that elite gymnasts at the Olympics need to wear makeup - they're athletes yet every other female athlete in any other discipline is not required to be sparkly (okay, maybe the synchronised swimmers, but they're a special breed of athlete). Until cheer finds a different inspiration for the dance section of routines - other than the hip hop style influence that's going on at the moment - the disturbing booty shaking is going to make the uniforms look hoochie and the red lipstick isn't going to help much either.

It bothers me more to see the teenagers in the tiny uniforms and suggestive dances because they know more of what they are doing.
Bothers me more that the younger ones do it as they DONT know what they are doing and we are teaching them to do something inappropriate and giving them permission to be shaking it and wear as little as possible. At least as a teenager, it's a decision and choice that can be made and communicated if you don't feel comfortable.

I think it's the responsibility of the sport to set rules that set a good example for others. I agree with @Mamarazzi that tasteful is in the eye of the beholder, but we can at least say no booty shorts or mid drifts on Tiny, mini and youth. We can also say no booty slapping booty shimmying on tiny, mini, youth and then simply impart to the gyms and choreographers to be sensitive to the age level of the athletes.

I always agree with a good portion of whatever you post. But, in reference to the "other sports" portion... would you elaborate a little more. I mean, in certain sports like swimming and diving, yeah, it is a necessity to be in a swim suit. And even the uber-competitive swimmers wear long suits now. Or gymnastics, I guess they have to be in a leotard to be judged based off on execution, etc. Maybe it's late, or I am just really having trouble coming up with another sport that most athletes wear skimpy stuff for the fun of it, or for the "creativity" element.

i completely agree that it is a combination of things. And it is the age of the athlete. Most things I'm thinking of are older people. Beach volleyball plays in bikini's and they are always shaking it all around when theyre jumping and diving.

Well, dancers tend to wear pretty revealing costumes/uniforms. Tennis players' attire have gotten smaller and smaller. Gymnasts wear leotards. Some with cut outs. Beach Volleyball players were "swimsuits" that are quit small. Ice Skaters wear costumes/uniforms that tend to be small and form-fitting. So to say we are the only sport that does it is inaccurate. Do I think SOME uniforms are a little over the top? Absolutely. But I do not feel that crop tops or short skirts (covering the booty of course though) is too revealing...no matter what age. I hate the heavy makeup more than a crop top.

i agree that the glitz is a part of cheer, but why does that part have to be so risque? i don't think crop tops need to go away, or the make up or hair bows need to be limited. but, i think that by removing the extremely skin-baring uniforms, this sport will gain more support from outsiders.

i'm relating this to the way people look at dancers. obviously, dance is a sport too, but people don't give it respect because all they see are girls strutting around in spandex bandeaus and shortie shorts. sadly, people are judgemental, and the first thing they see are the uniforms/costumes.
I absolutely agree there should be limits. There's a difference between showy and hoey.

I absolutely agree there should be limits. There's a difference between showy and hoey.
Thats amazing! I usually say "classy or trashy"

And I agree with @cheerinfo, I don't think it is necessarily the uniforms that are issues here. It's more of the whole appearance with the loads of make up, and crazy hair, and vulgar movements.

While a lot of you are complaining about TG's choice of uniform cuts, I don't think they do anything inappropriate in routines that makes it an issue.

Just to weigh in on the comments that cheer competitions are a "child predator's dream" - I've had this debate with my sister countless times. In actuality most pedophiles are actually attracted to the "childlike qualities" of children, so make-up and crop tops are NOT going to enhance that attraction at all. Most child predators are just creeps, and the child wearing make-up or a crop top has no bearing on that creepiness. A cheer competition is not anymore of a child predator's dream than any other place where there are a lot of children. I would think they'd be more attracted to the unbelievably large amount of completely unsupervised children :eek:at competitions than by the uniforms, but that's another thread...

Now the inappropriate moves are a different story, but that's where I'm back to agreeing with @Mamarazzi - inappropriate is in the eye of the beholder. Remember the 7 year old dance team dancing to Beyonce's Single Ladies? Many people thought that was compleeeeeetely inappropriate, while others thought the little girls were totally fierce.

Back