All-Star Cheer Image And Appearance

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

How about a good rule of thumb being "If you expect to see a pole in the routine, it's not appropriate"

crop tops fine!!

but i promise NO OFFENSE...do you guys remember matrix's old tops? or some of top gun unis...ehhh a little much for "cheerleading" and also totally depends on the age..top gun int, or o6 wearing them...FINE! because your older! also, the parents...!!! they probs dont like their daughters walking around with barely any clothing. and usually the parents dont have a say!

but when crop top turns into one sleeve, no sleeve, a little string holding the top up and longer skirts turn into, shorter skirts, very short skirts, spandex shorts, OVERLY shorts with a bikini looking top. it makes cheerleading look trashy. and thats what we dont want!! i think the teams that always have nice unis is cali. they always keep it classy. my gym also keeps it classy,not too much make up!

First, I have to say, I don't like crops on the little ones. I can't for the life of me understand the purpose of that. Why do people find it necessary? I also don't like to see little ones with bikinis on. In this fast-paced, increasingly sexualized world we live in, can't we try to give kids some innocence for as long as possible? I understand the argument that people say it has nothing to do with that, but when you get right down to it, it does. We send the message to thousands of kids that its ok to show as much of their bodies as possible to everyone in the gym, arena, family, friends, etc. Yes, you could say that its part of the athleticism, but we can show athleticism in a little more clothing, promise. This message is also one that they are getting from tv, music, movies... Its the combination of the two influences that worries me, because kids don't always separate appropriate and inappropriate influences. I want girls to be proud of their bodies--but why does that have to mean less clothing??? I see the result of media influence everyday. I teach middle school. I tell girls on a regular basis to change their shorts because they are horrifyingly short, to pull up their shirts bc I don't need to see cleavage, and to roll up their pants bc I don't want to see stomachs. Its hard enough trying to get young women to understand the messages they send when they do that. I'd like to use my influence as a coach to show these girls that they can be amazing, and powerful, and strong, and show off their talents without showing off their entire bodies and dancing like the music videos show. Do what I can to fight that media influence, not encourage it. KWIM?

Actually, on that same note, I didn't like cheering in a crop top and dancing like a stripper myself as an adult. For that same exact reason. I was cheering on an open team several years back, and teaching also. Some of my students were cheerleaders for various programs, and we happen to be at the same competition once. Let me tell you, I was NOT proud to be walking around with my stomach showing and dancing provocatively on-stage with my little 10-year-old students watching. I strive to be a role model for my students everyday. They look up to their teachers, one of the many (or sometimes few) adults in their lives, for guidance in how to act. I felt like part of the athleticism that I WAS proud to show them--my standing tuck, hyperextended jumps, powerful basing, and the confidence I had on stage-- as somewhat tempered by the fact that my uniform barely covered my butt and left my mid-section exposed, and the dance choreography/music. And let me tell you, my uniform and dance were downright TAME to what I see these days. I just felt as if I was sending the wrong messages to impressionable young women.

I think that this is something that the industry needs to think about. What can we do not only to increase participation in our sport, but also to develop all our athletes into the people we'd like them to become in the future.

I hope this long rambling post actually makes some sense....

i think as far as uniforms goes, they can add restrictions to the style and cut. for example, for ages tiny-youth, the stomach must be covered. and all uniforms must cover the shoulders, as well as have some sort of support around the neck(no more tube top-esque unis). all these would be easy to enforce and regulate. uniform companies would have to have each design okayed by a head committee to ensure that it fit the new guidelines.

as for the dancing, there aren't many clear cut regulations that can be made. again, it's too subjective.

You can dress cheerleaders in nun habits and have them dance the hokie pokie. Outside of this subculture, people are going to find a reason to put them down and claim "I would never let my child do that."

I would try focussing efforts on highlighting positive aspects such as charity fund raising and character building through team work and dedication. One of the problems is not having a famous face that can go on tv and debate or rebut the people and shows they appear on bashing cheerleading.

Oh and think of the "discussions" on this board if (just an example) Sr Elite were deducted 5 points for dance at worlds causing them to finish second to WCSS.

i think as far as uniforms goes, they can add restrictions to the style and cut. for example, for ages tiny-youth, the stomach must be covered. and all uniforms must cover the shoulders, as well as have some sort of support around the neck(no more tube top-esque unis). all these would be easy to enforce and regulate. uniform companies would have to have each design okayed by a head committee to ensure that it fit the new guidelines.

as for the dancing, there aren't many clear cut regulations that can be made. again, it's too subjective.

Georgia Allstars uniforms have exposed shoulders and they are the most conservative uniforms out there today.

I think the dancing, unis and glitter are a tool to attract kids to the sport. What little girl doesn't love that kinda stuff?
While I agree with this, I'm not so sure it's a positive thing. Girls who do it for the glitter and cute uni aren't really the type I would want to be pulled into the sport. The majority of the girls on my school team pretty much did it for those reasons and let me tell you, it was miserable. They never took anything seriously and didn't work hard at all. I want people to be attracted by the athleticism, not the cuteness.
That being said, I love my bow and my glitter but I'm willing to sacrifice them if it'll help us to be taken seriously as a sport. The same goes for crop tops and intense makeup. I think some changes definitely do need to be made and I'm glad it's being talked about.

I have to say, when you see a tiny or mini with glitter up to their eyebrows, half tops, cut outs, and walk around in sports bras, it's a little weird. I just don't think it looks good.
We're getting new unis this year that have a cut out. But youth teams and 2 junior teams are having long tops because of the age of the girls. 1 junior team and all 4 senior teams have half tops. I personally like this.

Back