All-Star Cheer Music & Copyright Laws...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yes. Wikipedia is shut down for a day. As a librarian, I have been sitting here smirking at these students that can't do their "research" because Wikipedia is gone....however I oppose censorship and everything else SOPA and PIPA would do....

But I do enjoy knowing people aren't using Wikipedia to perform "research" for 24 hours...

Wikipedia has actually made it very easy to get around it, and they've done so purposely. If they did any sort of googling they could bypass it extremely easily.

I rather enjoy Wikipedia. It is fairly accurate (I read over 90%) and someone somewhere finds everything worthy enough to keep it up today.

Wikipedia has actually made it very easy to get around it, and they've done so purposely. If they did any sort of googling they could bypass it extremely easily.

You know this. I know this...but the students here are too lazy to take the effort to find away around it..(I've explained 3 times today alone how to use an electronic stapler, and twice how to make copies....if that gives you indication of the kind of folks I'm working with). Hence my amusement. It also has varied based on the type of information you're searching for on Wikipedia. Some pages will stay up...others will go directly to the SOPA/PIPA information.

The Wikipedia app on my phone also works.

I rather enjoy Wikipedia. It is fairly accurate (I read over 90%) and someone somewhere finds everything worthy enough to keep it up today.

I enjoy it as well..... but in the realm of education it should never, in my opinion, substitute actual academic databases and actual research...

I enjoy it as well..... but in the realm of education it should never, in my opinion, substitute actual academic databases and actual research...

For anyone in college I agree. For anyone not in college research papers are just silly though.

None of my professors ever let us use Wikipedia as a source, but I do use it to find a bit more information about something if I need clarity, or I check out some of the sources cited in the Wikipedia article to see if it helps me any. I think if any one of us at my college ever cited Wikipedia as a source, we would really never hear the end of it (and we already hear enough of it now, and in big, bold red letters).

I am very much against SOPA/PIPA though because I don't want anyone controlling my internet.

One of my professors (who I get the pleasure of having every semester:p ) gives an automatic F if wikipedia is one of your sources. ohhh college..

p.s. i do actually agree with you now that i am just so proficient at conducting research :D

Did Cheerlibrary take a day of protest because when I click on a song nothing shows up?

As for Wikipedia by professor in my senior capstone class taught us how to properly use Wikipedia when doing research. You don't site Wikipedia you use it to start your search and then using the sited sources to gather your information from. Always laugh when people fail papers for using Wikipedia as a source when all they needed to do is site the article that was sited in the wiki.

I am also wondering what is next if the SOPA/PIPA bill passes, these music mixers may be able to have things taken off sites like Cheerlibrary but what happens to those music mixers when it comes to the artists and producers who actually own the rights to the songs that they are using for free/for profit? I know that JRs website has a few of his mixes playing (not sure about the other mixers sites) but if they wanted they could get their sites taken down as well. This could actually lead to the beginning of the end of cheer mixers using music without paying those who own the rights to the songs.

One of my professors (who I get the pleasure of having every semester:p ) gives an automatic F if wikipedia is one of your sources. ohhh college..

p.s. i do actually agree with you now that i am just so proficient at conducting research :D

I've never used Wikipedia for school related things....more so for like "Hey when did Saved By the Bell go off the air?" or "Hey is Gary Coleman still alive?" type purposes

I always have students ask me how to "cite wikipedia" and I'm like....well. If you'd just used like...Academic Seach Premier or something....they would've done the citation for you.

I also once had a student say to me "Ms. _____, I'm not going to use ERIC because nothing there looks respectable...I'm going to use Wikipedia instead"

I couldn't deal.

Anyway...the pitfalls of Wikipedia aren't what SOPA or PIPA are about...so I digress.

I didn't even know what SOPA was, so i Googled it.. and tried to click othe Wikipedia link.
My research ended there.
I was trying to do History homework because my book is very unhelpful and it wouldn't let me go on any page but there should be a link talking about SOPA on the blackout page!

5fgbgl.jpg

Back