All-Star Cheer Pimping???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I really wanted to join an all star team so the owner said she would give me & my sisters a month of free tution & half the cost of tution every month.. I don't really count that as bribing though.... She just knew that we really wanted to be on the team & she wanted us.... But in the end we didn't join because my mom is lame :(

Sad part is there is 1 specific gym by me that will tell kids that if they leave another gym and go to theirs that they will pay all travel expenses and everything else is free uniforms, monthly dues, competition fees, etc... I don't think its right but theres nothing anyone can do about it unfortunately. :(

That happens a lot. I know tons of gyms that don't charge their boys monthly tuition. They still pay uniform and competition fees though.

Yeah but they get free uniforms and the coaches cover comp fees and they travel with the coaches.
And then the boys talk about how dedicated they are and about how much they're in the gym working.
Yeah... No. Dedication is being willing to work for it. I'd be in the gym twenty four seven too if the gym didn't charge me anything.

I was scholarshipped for all 3 years I cheered, 100% paid for including for at a new gym my last year, but not so that I would leave my other gym, I had already left and was looking for a place I could afford to cheer. While I had level 5 skills the last gym had scholarships available at most levels, while most others it seems just to be the 5s.
My first gym tried to screw me after I parted ways, by not depositing a lot of the money that was promised for the many many hours me and my grandmother spent cleaning the gym and making up bogus charges (for rates that were ready well below the money a cleaning service would charge, and she cleans for a living). I told them if they wanted the money to pursue it legally and they never said another word

I know of a few. One gym isn't going as low as to paying people, but they promised to make kids flyers over the phone. The child never flew a day in her life....what if she was like 200 lbs and could not pull any body position? So she went from basing on J3 to a level 2 team.

I understand offering discounts to get level 5 kids, but paying their entire tuition is a bit much and not fair for everyone else.

We hear about this all the time and I'm happy to say we've never done it. People cherish what they work for, the treat it with respect and being on a team at any level should be respected. If it comes easy, it goes easy. The other saying is that you get what you pay for...if you ain't paying: are you being coached? are you learning? or are you just being used to bolster a gym's win column?

We've certainly had kids that couldn't afford cheer at times in their life. All of them ended up working or fundraising or paying us off in $20 increments. It taught them to be responsible and I'm happy to state that most of them remain at our gym as full paying members.

Treating any athlete on a team differently than the others will ultimately hurt the team, hurt the business and hurt the athlete in the end.

Does a peanut butter and jelly sandwich count? That's what I charge Top Gun to allow my three daughters to cheer there... but only one per month and the bread has to be super fresh!

Funny...I posted how silly that sounded...and today someone told me our old gym was giving away free uniforms and free tuition for a few months to level 5's........why??? crazy stuff
Maybe they are trying to get more level 5 athletes? I know of lot of gyms do the same things, including mine. What's new? I think it's a really good idea..

Maybe they are trying to get more level 5 athletes? I know of lot of gyms do the same things, including mine. What's new? I think it's a really good idea..

I think it is a free world and they can do what they want...I was a part of it when they didnt have to "attract" level 5's like that...ya never know until you have actually been there...but again..they are free to have a sale....as I was free to leave...:)

Haha. I actually think we are one of the cheapest for our area. I think AS tuition is 110 or 120 a month and includes a tumbling class.

Well, $200-$50 is $150, so I'm not that far off.

And gosh, $120 per month is a pretty good deal. That's not that much more than our gym, and we're in a "cheap" part of the country.

Well, $200-$50 is $150, so I'm not that far off.

And gosh, $120 per month is a pretty good deal. That's not that much more than our gym, and we're in a "cheap" part of the country.

I just checked our online packet. $125.

i have never heard of this before and it is kinda sickening that people actually fall for it. i have heard of scholar shipping kids like they dont have enough money to pay for the gym they get a sponsor or they work there bill off at the gym lie doing birthday parties, cleaning the mats, helping organize things, etc...

Back