High School Cheer Workouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 29, 2015
I'm very out of shape, and cheer tryouts are in April( this will be my first time trying out). Can anyone list exercises or workouts that I can do everyday to get in shape? I need to really work on flexibility, upper body strength, and endurance so that I don't get out of breath as fast. Also is there anyway to increase pain tolerance while I'm stretching, so that I can go lower in my splits? Thanks[emoji7] [emoji5]

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

I'm very out of shape, and cheer tryouts are in April( this will be my first time trying out). Can anyone list exercises or workouts that I can do everyday to get in shape? I need to really work on flexibility, upper body strength, and endurance so that I don't get out of breath as fast. Also is there anyway to increase pain tolerance while I'm stretching, so that I can go lower in my splits? Thanks[emoji7] [emoji5]

My inner alarm is going off. If you are looking to increase pain tolerance instead of flexibility, you are not stretching safely.

And Cheer Abletics is always a good core workout. Just pace yourself.

Flexibility: try and practice some stretches like pike, butterfly and straddle. Just try to go a little bit more each day, working your way up. Same with the splits. If you are 20 cm of the ground one day, and then 19.5 the next, then that is an improvement. Try not to push yourself too hard or you may injure a muscle and then you will not be able to stretch at all.

Upper body strength:try weight lifting, working your way up to heavier weights. Also bodyweight exercises like push ups are good.

Endurance:try some cardio. Distance running or distance swimming are good, just build up by a bit each day. For example, you could try Couch to 5k (app). Swimming, say you can swim 25 metres without stopping, try for 30, then 35, then 40 and so on. You could also try a group fitness class like aerobics or Zumba.

I highly recommend PiYo. It's a 2 month Beach Body program that involves Pilates, yoga and cardio without any weights. The workouts range from 20 minutes to 48 depending on the day and it's seriously one of the best workout DVDs I have ever used. Cp has used it as well and loves it; it has greatly improved her overall strength and flexibility.

Back