All-Star Cheerleading With Type 1 Diabetes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

even bigger hero if you or a family member are in the army!!!! if yes....thank you from us..:)
Thank you. My husband has 23 years in the army & we've been married 24...both my husband & my daughter make me a very proud and very blessed wife & mom....:)

My daughter has tyupe 1 diabetes....I am proud to say that it does not stop her or any other of these brave kids from living their dream...she has a pump....she removes it during practice....she is a flyer and her site gets ripped out lots....she comes and gets me...we put a new one in...off she goes...she is great and what is even better...her team is amazing about it....she is my hero...:)

jenee is truly amazing and I admire her in every way. I am pretty sure she is my new inspiration.

my friend wore her pump while competing, i was younger and always afraid id pull it out when i caught her cuz i was her backspot, but nothing ever happened, she tumbled around and everything

my friend wore her pump while competing, i was younger and always afraid id pull it out when i caught her cuz i was her backspot, but nothing ever happened, she tumbled around and everything

Jenee tales hers off..and she flies...and her site comes out sometimes...she runs off the floor...we put in another one...and off she goes...:) Her bases are afraid at first...but they get used to it pretty quick!

Can someone explain this "site" thing to me? I know that it looks like a white patch, but what does it mean for it to come out? It sounds painful.

Can someone explain this "site" thing to me? I know that it looks like a white patch, but what does it mean for it to come out? It sounds painful.

Its kind of like an iv, with a small tube under your skin, you have to change the site every three days or so, so it isn't something that is meant to be permanent. It comes off the same way a band-aid does, but that little tube (its actually called a cannula) comes out with it.

This is a little off topic but, what do gyms with athlete with seizure disorders do? I have my first athlete with a seizure disorder, extremely severe, she wears a necklace on her neck all the time, but I wouldn't know what to do for a competition because that is clearly illegal.

Please visit our site here! The March cause was Purple Day for Epilepsy!!! I have some great resources there for seizure disorders and also some articles and 1 on 1 interviews with our athletes who compete and live with forms of Epilepsy. The David Ranck story is particularly inspiring! He could be a great resource for you too, and has since joined our advisory board! (OK, goosebumps in my knees!) Here's two vids on YouTube we did too where an athlete talks about cheering with Epilepsy. I was thinking to create a Cheer & Dance World facebook group (under Cheer for a Cause) for these athletes and coaches to share information. It would need to be a closed group though to ensure no rude/inappropriate remarks get there. Thoughts?

Hey there! I'm Julie and the founder of Cheer for a Cause (all about the heart of your Cheer & Dance World). I've seen a lot of athletes wearing pumps, and one of my junior coaches when I worked with a rec team wore one.

We're thinking to do a cause month on Juvenile Diabetes in November, which is awareness month. Would any of you like to share your story and maybe even go on camera to talk about your experience? Find out more about Cheer for a Cause at http://www.cheerforacause.org. If you're interested, PM me. If you're a minor, we (of course) get your parent's permission!

Great idea! I'm an adult and have type 2 diabetes.

I have type 1, I was diegnosed 2 years ago right before a competition. It's a struggle, especially with cheering. A 'site' is a stickey white thing that hooks on to your stomach, a tube; about an inch thick, goes inside and sits in the inistiual fluid. Another tube, connecting my insulin pump to a needle, pumps the insulin through me. I will post a picture.
set

Latest posts

Back