Choreography Camp Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 25, 2015
Hello

This is my second year coaching, and none of my girls have ever experienced an outside person coming in and doing choreography since I did it last year. How do I prepare them for this? Is there any preparing to even be done?

Also, has anyone used or know of anyone who has used Kate Boyd for choreography? She is coming in and doing the choreography for my level one team in August, and I was just wondering what it is like to work with her.

Last question, what should I expect? I've never been on the coaching end of choreography camp.

Thanks!

Never heard of Katy either but that doesn't mean much.

I would recommend you contact Katy directly and asks her what she would like you to have done in perpetration of her arrival.

From observing how other choreographers work, and they are all a little different, she will probably want you to have stunt groups fairly set and be able to tell her things like how the kids dance, how their tumbling is and who can do what.

As a coach be prepared to offer input when asked and take lots of notes, pictures, videos so you can also review and learn the routine yourself after she leaves.

**well now, aren't you just the special one**

As a choreographer my self with many years of experience you do need to prepare your students. This could be a ten minute "meeting" discussing what you expect from them.

I have Choreographed for many dance teams since that is my primary back ground, and I have had many ups, and down. The first thing that you should do is tell your students to treat your guest with respect as well as the parents, and that if they have any issues for what ever reason you expect them to come to you like an adult. (speaking to the kids, I would say something different to the parents so it won't sound like you're belittling them)

Now on your part you should be totally honest about what your students dance skills are. I've had a dance coach tell me before that their recreational dance students were intermediate Ballet dancers, but could barely do a pirouette which is a simple turn that non-dancers can pick up, and they barely had any rhythm. So I had to re-do my entire choreography at that point. So to save her that kind of trouble be honest about the kind of dance experience your dancers may have.

I know cheerdance is different from classical dance, but just speaking in general. I've seen some pretty hard cheer dances, and it will be easier on the coach teaching it to them that you're honest about the experience level :)

Many dance choreographers have many different teaching methods as well. So your students should be prepared for that as well :)

PS: This is also my first year teaching cheer-dance I'm doing it to get more experience in the cheer world, and its been quite a challenge so far

I will contact her. I had thought about taking a video at the end of the day, but taking pictures is genius! Thanks so much!

I will contact her. I had thought about taking a video at the end of the day, but taking pictures is genius! Thanks so much!
Doing a final video at the end is a great idea as well but remember the kids brains will probably be fried and it may not go well which is one of the reasons I've seen the pictures and videos taken throughout the day.

**well now, aren't you just the special one**

Before choreography camp, lay down your expectations and consequences if they don't follow the rules. I would emphasize respecting the choreographer, listening and taking corrections, and doing their best to remember everything.

During choreography, I recommend video taping each section while it's fresh in their mind. You can upload these videos to a private YouTube page or Facebook group for review. Also, make sure that you are writing out your 8-count sheets (if your choreographer doesn't take care of that) and your formation maps. I've always found that my L1's need a lot of help after choreography is over, so I take extra detailed notes in case I need to reteach.

After choreography, reward them for a job well done, or follow through with your consequences if they didn't live up to your expectations.

Before choreography camp, lay down your expectations and consequences if they don't follow the rules. I would emphasize respecting the choreographer, listening and taking corrections, and doing their best to remember everything.

During choreography, I recommend video taping each section while it's fresh in their mind. You can upload these videos to a private YouTube page or Facebook group for review. Also, make sure that you are writing out your 8-count sheets (if your choreographer doesn't take care of that) and your formation maps. I've always found that my L1's need a lot of help after choreography is over, so I take extra detailed notes in case I need to reteach.

After choreography, reward them for a job well done, or follow through with your consequences if they didn't live up to your expectations.
Forgot about 8 count sheets.

**spy games, let the fun begin**

From the coaching side, I would expect to be just as involved as your choreographer. Most of them like you right there with them at all times to advise on who to put where (better jumps/dancers in the front, who's flying point, etc) and feedback on if you like the choreo. You can also help save time by helping her set up formations and whatnot. Definitely take notes, pictures and videos.

Let your cheerleaders know the expectations. Most of my teams were fun and would cut up sometimes and normal practice. That's fine at choreography to an extent. But we would always pull it togehter for choreography and get serious about it. You're paying for this limited time with this person, you can joke around later.

Back