College College Basket Rules—safety? Sexism?...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 21, 2017
Recently college cheer basket safety rules came under serious revisions allowing All-Girl groups to be able to toss non-twisting baskets while allowing all-boy groups to toss up to ONLY single twisting basket variations, meaning skills such as arabian 1/2, pike open dubs, and simple double twisting fulls are no longer apart of the college cheer world.

It’s not the safety aspect that shocks me about these changes, its the blatant fact that all girl groups are being asked to only throw lower level tosses than all-male. It makes me think why dont they just eliminate whip-fulls, or full-fulls for girls only for “safety”. Why stop there I mean “clearly” were looking out for making sure girls don’t get hurt.

BREAKING!! All-Girl groups now require FRONT SPOTS for safety purposes.
-2020 USASF

Okay I should stop giving them ideas because it is scary this is the second time sexism has played part in these rules since the “male theatrocality” rules that lasted only a few months in all-star before they changed. And as of now the updated College rules have been removed for revision, so it looks like maybe theres some hope that ELITE COMPETITION BASKETS that ya know, make cheer actually competetive can make it to the UCA mat or NCA bandshell.

Anyone have any thoughts on this atm?

There is already a thread about this.

There hasn’t been a thread I can find that discusses this which is surprising especially in the college or Cheer industry sections.

Pls link if there has been one hidden

Update: So after googling for a bit It looks like theres one in the All-Star section??

Makes no sense to me being there but theres some pretty strong opinions in there so im checking that out but still if anyone here checks the college thread more often than the all-star this thread is for them.

I’m more of a gameday cheerleader myself so I can speak for that lol

Last edited:
No there is not......?

Didn’t find it anywhere.

There hasn’t been a thread I can find that discusses this which is surprising especially in the college or Cheer industry sections.

Pls link if there has been one hidden
Go to the allstar section

make cheer actually competetive can make it to the UCA mat or NCA bandshell.
please tell me how limited baskets make cheer less competitive.

if anything, lowering the bar increases the level of competition between teams..

please tell me how limited baskets make cheer less competitive.

if anything, lowering the bar increases the level of competition between teams..

That’s not competition. That’s evening the playing field by lowering the bar.

This may be a wierd point, but think about jumping to the high bars on the playground as a kid with your friends. Your goal was to see who could jump to the highest bar. If you take away the highest bar and leave them with the lowest bar, the “competition” is basically who jumps highest above the only bar that is already low enough that most people can reach it??.... Instead of a more interesting and say rewarding goal of wanting to reach the highest bar. What even is the point of jumping above the lowest bar if most could catch it anyways.‍♂️

And I know theres the injuries and overall liability that drives these kinds of changes but that doesn’t change that this is an unfortunate side effect of that because as a athletic activity we don’t have the best of self-regulations (which if we still go without being an official sport we still have to be able to self-regulate). Lowering the bar is never a good thing, maybe a nessecary evil, but still an evil.

And i’m all about cheer not being an official sport because that has let cheer shape the way it has and become as big as it is. I just wish there were effective ways to higher standards and increase competivness between teams and within teams. Within teams meaning having a higher bar set for you to try and reach without it being taken away. A goal for yourself if not also for against other teams.

That’s not competition. That’s evening the playing field by lowering the bar.

This may be a wierd point, but think about jumping to the high bars on the playground as a kid with your friends. Your goal was to see who could jump to the highest bar. If you take away the highest bar and leave them with the lowest bar, the “competition” is basically who jumps highest above the only bar that is already low enough that most people can reach it??.... Instead of a more interesting and say rewarding goal of wanting to reach the highest bar. What even is the point of jumping above the lowest bar if most could catch it anyways.‍♂️

And I know theres the injuries and overall liability that drives these kinds of changes but that doesn’t change that this is an unfortunate side effect of that because as a athletic activity we don’t have the best of self-regulations (which if we still go without being an official sport we still have to be able to self-regulate). Lowering the bar is never a good thing, maybe a nessecary evil, but still an evil.

And i’m all about cheer not being an official sport because that has let cheer shape the way it has and become as big as it is. I just wish there were effective ways to higher standards and increase competivness between teams and within teams. Within teams meaning having a higher bar set for you to try and reach without it being taken away. A goal for yourself if not also for against other teams.

Except in Cheer we have execution/performance scores.

So to use your bar analogy:

You lower the bar to the one most people can reach. Then you judge them based on a combination of who gets to the next to highest bar AND whether they were able to grab it with one hand, both hands, a finger tip, catch and hold versus touch and fall off, etc.

Back