All-Star Confession: I've Become That Mom

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just curious @acecheermom did she throw it at the comp?

Unfortunately no. Day 1 her teammates convinced her she should wait to see after day 1 performance where they stand. Big mistake because for whatever reason they had the worst perfomance of the entire year. There were issues in nearly every single part of their routine, even stuff that had never had mishaps before. So then when we go into day 2 her coach wouldn't let her try. He wasn't risking anything on the mat.

I was bummed. While they had a good showing on Day 2 they still stayed in same placement they were in on Day 1. So it didn't even matter anyway. She should have taken the risk on day 1 but well hindsight is 20/20.

She did however throw it both days in warmups back stage so I took that as a positive. We are getting closer to the stage. LOL

And to answer the next question, No I didn't buy the IPhone and I will not be buying it. I told her good thing she will compete again in November and December so maybe she can shoot for a Christmas present. LOL

Thanks for sharing this. This is one of the big differences that can help to show if it's a mental block versus motivation (and of course it can be both). If someone is motivated enough (could be external like the phone or money) or internally (for pride, love of what they're doing), then this can push through the "block." But for some athletes that fear is so strong that addressing their motivation isn't enough.
Let's just say my first day of allstar cheer, I was told to go onto the tumble track and do a back handspring so they could see (I had only been working them for a few weeks in tumbling)....I promptly did my back handspring because I was 11 and did what i was told, and then my face crash landed and the red siding of the tumble track...And that is the story of the first time i broke my nose. This was in the 6th grade and I did not throw another back handspring by myself until freshman year. The amount of money my mom put into privates, I was so close, I wanted to be able to throw it so badly, I could throw it "perfectly", until my spotter took their hand away... At the end of my 8th grade season I changed gyms, 2 months after being at the new gym, got my back handspring and never again threw it with a spot.

Back