Confused And Stressed???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

From personal experience, bigger isn't always better. That's with everything in life.

Have a nice day. :)

I'm really confused. Are we talking about chocolate bars or cheer gyms? You're giving advice about bigger cheer gyms, right? Of which you admittedly have zero experience? Just trying to clarify.

I just did middle school. But I always stayed in the sport and kept up with everything.
Please please please try to not offer advice to parents - especially about things that you have never experienced at all-star gyms or HS cheer - in such a definitive manner. Parents come on here looking for advice from other parents, coaches and cheerleaders (active or retired) who can offer insight based on their experience with similar issues. You can of course always preface things with " As a fan, I would think that..." but offering advice without any basis except your own opinion is misleading and can be quite detrimental to new parents - and really any new posters - coming on here.

I just did middle school. But I always stayed in the sport and kept up with everything.

Please take the advise that has been given often: Listen and learn for a while before posting. Many new fierceboarders "lurk" for weeks to months before ever starting a thread or posting.

Many come onto this board looking for insight from others with strong experience in the all star cheerleading world. It is great that you have a high interest in this sport and are eager to jump in, but note that middle school cheerleading & even high school cheerleading do not equate to having experience with all star gyms. It's like someone commenting about how oranges are grown, when that person has only grown apples before.

Just as I would not suggest someone with only all star experience make statements influencing a middle & high school cheerleading question, I would suggest that you please not make statements about all star cheerleading based on school cheer experience. Both are great, but the atmospheres are very different.

Re: small vs. large when it comes to drama - my experience (not w/ cheer, but w/ gym and dance) is that the more established and reputable a place is, the less drama it will have.

Good programs do not have to cater to the whims of crazy SM's, cause they know they will be able to just replace Suzie if it comes down to it. The places that are catering to these people are ones that have a hard time recruiting athletes, so they are always making decisions based on what parent complains the loudest or spends the most money, not what is best for the team.

If the gym really let that mom dictate what happened in your CP's stunt group, then that is a sign it's not a good program - like others have said though, you really do need to be sure that really was the case.

Another thing to think about when going to a larger, more established/professional program - is that they tend to place very objectively and more conservatively - for instance, a kid who may be a level 3 at a small gym, would probably end up as a level 2 at a large, established gym that can be more selective when it comes to recruiting.

I imagine that there might be less drama at most large gyms because they have teams at nearly every level. It seems like they can state you need x,y,and z for stunting and tumbling and without it you won't move up. Smaller gyms have to place according to needs and not only skills. Someone might be pulled up because they are needed in one thing and it won't seem as fair to others causing drama.

We've been at both types of gyms (and some in between). All have drama, it's just different. Our experience was that it was far easier to steer clear of the drama (and the drama mamas) at the bigger gym.

OP - It sounds as if your CP is happy and you're the frustrated one. While not impossible, I think it may be a bit of a gray area between what prompted the change and what you heard promoted the change. My best advice from the trenches is to stay away and not watch practices, and to just encourage your daughter regardless of position.

My daughter knows the truth. I offered to put her in a large gym with a solid reputation that I think would help advance her skills, and where spots are given by skill and not politics. But she loves some of her teammates and is scarred she will not be noticed in the new gym. Any help and advice is truly welcomed.....

I'm with @quitthedrama, your child has told you where she wants to be. It sounds as though she hasn't succumbed to the drama, be proud of her, that's a huge life lesson in and of itself.

Back