Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Knowcheering

Knowcheering Somewhere... some one.... is giving me a slow clap

Shimmys Received:
    Even if you have a paid membership, there's no sound on videos after 48 hours, right? The cost is about the same as Netflix---for video without audio (which is unwatchable for the average person). It's insane if you think about it. For the good of cheerleading's future, I really think there needs to be a way to watch archived footage with audio. Varsity TV is just FloSports in disguise with a different name, isn't it? Flo's prices are pretty outrageous for the quality of product, yet several sports affiliate themselves with this company.

It's interesting to see many virtual competitions charging around $100 per competitor, and CheerMatch is around $20 per competitor. Yes, normal event producers have more expenses than a company that's strictly virtual (including providing Paid Bids), but $20 is much more reasonable for the competitive experience you're actually given. And everyone can watch CheerMatch's good quality broadcasts live whether you're rich or poor. It's interesting to see the difference in approach between this company and regular competition companies. The host is a bit corny/cheesy at times but otherwise makes the broadcasts feel cohesive, and overall they've really done a good job and are helping gyms get through the pandemic.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  2. Jenniferg482

Jenniferg482 Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I agree. The interviews are a bit awkward but I love having the host and the energy of the awards. All in all a superior product compared to the industry leader varsity.

3. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    So 2 teams were were able to compete live and add a virtual video to a comp this past weekend! Also got bids at both! WTH....coaches speak up!!

4. CLynn

CLynn When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Right. I don't even think it is 48 hours, not sure sound ever works on any replay. The purchase made sense for us when we had a few kids competing, so multiple teams to watch the parent who stayed home was able to see the kids compete, tape it live at home etc.
    Totally agree with this.

5. Jenniferg482

Jenniferg482 Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    On sat we missed of our teams in the live stream by 5 mins. Went to the replay and already had zero sound. Sometimes we play stock cheer music in the Background - lol.

6. tojofasho

tojofasho I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    MsCoachMartin
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    Honestly, I hope CheerMatch sticks around even after the pandemic. Their quality is good, their competition is affordable, and minus the cringe commentary (which was nothing compared to the awkward Majors commentary, if you think about it), I think it's actually my favorite competition to watch in a virtual format. I know (hope) the demand for virtual comps will go down next year, but I do hope this one toughs it out - seems like they actually are in it for the sport and the kids, and not just a way to get as much money as humanly possible.

7. cac4life

cac4life I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Omg...the majors commentary was awful...Thanks for reminding me about that...LOL.

8. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    All I could think about during the Majors commentary is "wow I hope this isn't a thing for Worlds."

We already have some safety jingle, the same 20 songs from 2010, and that awards video montage thing. Nothing else please.

9. 5monkeysjumping

5monkeysjumping I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I also think it would be a great way to have teams test out new routine sections, or even just get some experience competing their routines before the season is in full swing.

10. retiredl5cheer

retiredl5cheer Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I actually think virtual competitions should stick around in some capacity. It might be nice for teams to be able to mix them into a regular competition season as a warm-up option, or for non-travel teams to be able to do a few virtual events in addition to local events.

11. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Would give teams from Canada and other countries an easy way to compete against American teams, etc.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  12. CLynn

CLynn When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
  13. CoachTamara

CoachTamara Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    YES. I think coaches have really started to come around to the idea of this, and I could totally see the benefit of getting additional scoresheets for feedback and saving a bit on your budget. Especially a few at the beginning of the season... Let me know what sucks before I actually hit a live event.

14. 123jump4!

123jump4! Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I think parents would be cool with it. We'd save a lot of time & money!

15. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    If the video submitted for the virtual judging was not the live competition video then I have no problem with this. It's no different than some gyms going to two 1-day competitions in the same weekend.