All-Star Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I firmly believe that come April 24th the announcement from Varsity will be a cancellation announcement.

While Disney World falls under our idiotic state governor, it also falls under the local officials of Orange County and they are not playing around. Excluding South Florida, which is its own hot spot, Orange and Osceola Counties have been the leading voices of reason in Central Florida. There has already been fodder about Disney [all major tourist attractions in Orange/Osceola County] being closed through the summer from local government officials, though it hasn't been officially confirmed by Disney yet. Disney did just furlough their remaining workforce which has further pushed the notion that this is going to be a longer closure than imagined.

Social distancing is working in some areas and the curve has begun to flatten. But if we re-wind our tapes back roughly 100 years we know we've already been in this spot before. While we call it the 1918 Spanish Flu, the majority of the deaths actually occurred in 1919 after the second wave hit. Globally we lost 50 million people, in the US we lost roughly 675,000.

We have also known about coronavirus' since the 1960s, we had our first outbreak of SARS in 02-03 and MERS only a few short years later. We still, to date, do not have a single vaccine for any known coronavirus strain. I highly doubt we're going to figure one out now and even if we do, it's still 12-18 months from now. The most recent studies coming out of China also raise alarm bells on whether or not herd immunity can even be achieved (cliffnotes, of the 175 people analyzed after recovering from COVID-19 roughly 1/3 of them showed little to zero immunity to the disease). Then, you have to look at the studies who are focusing on the mortality rate in re-infected patients. Simply put, we don't know nearly enough about this disease to really plan much in the future yet and with every country/state forming their own plan it's going to be hard for any sports organization to find a way in when they're juggling what A is doing versus B versus C and on and on and on.

I don't expect social distancing to go away anytime soon and I'm already preparing for the reality that I may very well be 'teacher' again come fall. I don't want to be, but it doesn't seem like we'll be snapping back to 'normal' anytime soon and when we finally do, it'll be nothing like the 'normal' of 2 months ago.

Im just telling you as an employee of the tourist industry they are expanding the closures through the end of may. That much I do know. If they plan on having a virtual comp then varsity decision will have nothing to do with disney.
I cant see worlds happening, I was skeptical a month ago but with the extended closure I see worlds being done as far as disney is concerned.

Lol, are you sure you aren't my oldest child? You literally said the exact same thing I did, but I'm not committing myself to whether World's will happen or not, because it's literally going to be up to what the government allows. Again, IMO, if World’s happens it would have to happen virtually, with the first obstacle being gyms being allowed to open for teams to practice with enough time in advance. Perhaps our disconnect is happening in how we are envisioning a virtual comp, but Disney isn't needed for a virtual possibility. We all will find out on April 24th.

@SL&AM Orange County Mayor Demings said this on April 10th:

Orange County Mayor Makes A Statement
But now we may have some insight on when we could see the Disney Parks in Orlando, Florida reopen to the public. During Click Orlando’s Financial Fight town hall on Thursday night, the Orange County Mayor — Jerry Demings — stated that it could be another two months before officials begin the reopening process of closed businesses. Demings went on to say that businesses, including Walt Disney World Resort, could remain closed through early June 2020.

“I believe, given the models, it could be June — early June — where we see some relaxing of the restrictions in place. But they would have to stay in place to some degree through late summer,” Demings stated.

Orange County Mayor Says Disney World Could Remain Closed Through June; Late Summer | Inside the Magic

Maybe it's just my optimistic attitude as far as my plans, but I don't see why Disney would have somewhat recently (about 2 weeks ago) began allowing reservations again, after an indefinite hold, starting June 1st, if they didn't have at least some reasonable expectation of opening to some degree around that time frame. After what they had to go through for all of the March/April/May reservations that had to be cancelled, it would be a nightmare to have to go through all of that again, when they could have just as easily held reservations even longer. The constant advertising of that date that I've seen, the discounts/promotions/free dining/etc. that have all been offered starting June 1. I'm sure I'm much, much, much more of a Disney freak than many people on this board, so I've probably been seeing it more than others, but that date has come up constantly in emails, message boards, other advertisements, etc. So they seem to really be pushing for some kind of opening around then, even if it means not full capacity and other restrictions are still in place.

Now saying that, I don't think any of this has any bearing on a cheer competition, I still don't think there's any way of that happening.

Or maybe I'm just a little bitter because I should be there and riding Splash Mountain right now haha

Lol, are you sure you aren't my oldest child? You literally said the exact same thing I did, but I'm not committing myself to whether World's will happen or not, because it's literally going to be up to what the government allows. Again, IMO, if World’s happens it would have to happen virtually, with the first obstacle being gyms being allowed to open for teams to practice with enough time in advance. Perhaps our disconnect is happening in how we are envisioning a virtual comp, but Disney isn't needed for a virtual possibility. We all will find out on April 24th.
my whole point in every post, is that i cant see worlds happening/being pulled off with one month to replan, if the government gives the go ahead.
and with all the problems the "live feed" has had over the years, it'll be hilarious to watch varsity/flocheer try and organize gyms to do live feeds in their home gyms. ill legitimately be amazed if they can pull it off without massive problems.

universal and disney tend to follow each other in decisions, and UO doesnt plan on reopening till sometime AFTER May.

So if disney is doing the same, that gives them one month to plan and reorganzie for two back to back weekends for thousands of visitors. Nevermind having probably everyone re-book rooms and flights, etc. Not saying it cant be done, but that is a whole lot of chaos to save two cheer competitions.

I have to assume that ESPN Sports Complex is booked just about every weekend. I question if other sports are scheduled for all the weekends in June. That too has to add complexity to the decision. If there will be capacity limits enforced as Disney begins to open back up, would sports that were already scheduled for weekends in June take priority over sports trying to be added to those weekends?? I understand that other sports may not use the same facility at the ESPN Complex that cheer does....but if Disney is required to limit capacity....who takes precedent??

There will be no sports- PERIOD in May... therefore no practice to prepare for anything in June. Even in June- AT BEST we will JUST be adjusting or...DIPPING our TOES in the water of socialization, if you will-

In order for athletics to resume 4 things need to happen:
1. Shelter in place orders have to be lifted
2. The number of confirmed cases need to remain the same or have been declining for at least a two week period
3. The directive to social distance needs to be eased
4. The limit placed on social gatherings would have to be removed by each respective state.

there are too many layers...

I have to assume that ESPN Sports Complex is booked just about every weekend. I question if other sports are scheduled for all the weekends in June. That too has to add complexity to the decision. If there will be capacity limits enforced as Disney begins to open back up, would sports that were already scheduled for weekends in June take priority over sports trying to be added to those weekends?? I understand that other sports may not use the same facility at the ESPN Complex that cheer does....but if Disney is required to limit capacity....who takes precedent??

I didn't even think of this angle.

Even if WDW opens back up (BIG IF), if it's booked for huge AAU tournaments or bandcamps every weekend, you can't just MOVE those events and drop Worlds or Summit into it.

That's a nightmare.

my whole point in every post, is that i cant see worlds happening/being pulled off with one month to replan, if the government gives the go ahead.
and with all the problems the "live feed" has had over the years, it'll be hilarious to watch varsity/flocheer try and organize gyms to do live feeds in their home gyms. ill legitimately be amazed if they can pull it off without massive problems.

I understand your opinion on FloCheer's feed, I have a subscription, as well. With that said, with the current state of the sport world, sports media is going to have to up their game substantially as an industry. About World's, the latest IASF's announcement stated "Event planned for late June, final decision by April 24, 2020". The majority of states are starting to announce they will be easing up on sheltering restrictions as soon as May 1 (NY and surrounding areas are stating May 15), so it's feasible the majority of states would have 7 weeks prep time IF, big IF, they allow gatherings of up to 50 people. @CheerItFullOut is your comment on "no sports PERIOD in May" based on a statement from a politician? If so, can you post your source? If it's your opinion, that's fine, but for financial analysis I'm collecting this type of data by state and area.

On a different note, government SBA loan funding for the Payment Protection Plan ran out at 10:00 AM this morning from the initial $2 trillion stimulus. They are working on approval for round 2, but I think it's important for people to realize just how quickly this money goes to get a more realistic view on how long this can truly be sustained.

I understand your opinion on FloCheer's feed, I have a subscription, as well. With that said, with the current state of the sport world, sports media is going to have to up their game substantially as an industry. About World's, the latest IASF's announcement stated "Event planned for late June, final decision by April 24, 2020". The majority of states are starting to announce they will be easing up on sheltering restrictions as soon as May 1 (NY and surrounding areas are stating May 15), so it's feasible the majority of states would have 7 weeks prep time IF, big IF, they allow gatherings of up to 50 people. @CheerItFullOut is your comment on "no sports PERIOD in May" based on a statement from a politician? If so, can you post your source? If it's your opinion, that's fine, but for financial analysis I'm collecting this type of data by state and area.

On a different note, government SBA loan funding for the Payment Protection Plan ran out at 10:00 AM this morning from the initial $2 trillion stimulus. They are working on approval for round 2, but I think it's important for people to realize just how quickly this money goes to get a more realistic view on how long this can truly be sustained.

that’s not my particular state... that’s my opinion based on what has been collectively or broadly stated. Naturally you will have a handful of states who will differ in their methods of returning to socialization -
However common sense will tell you- read those guidelines again and try to justify sending kids back into athletics with just ONE still in play.
- let me add (and this had been edited) I feel Athletics are important and the quicker we can get back to them... the better. I know it may not sound like it, but I’m optimistic and hopeful - I DO think there will be some type of a season... (let me clarify 2020/21) we just need to be prepared for adjustments, some modifications and delays... the more planning and CAREFUL projecting everyone does... the better.

Last edited:
that’s not my particular state... that’s my opinion based on what has been collectively or broadly stated. Naturally you will have a handful of states who will differ in their methods of returning to socialization -
However common sense will tell you- read those guidelines again and try to justify sending kids back into athletics with just ONE still in play.

I was asking what your sources are, because of what I had read. Your list of 4 criteria based on what you're hearing, with the latest information I'm reading:

1. Shelter in place orders have to be lifted The majority of states are now saying May 1, and Northeast saying May 15 <article by state updated April 9th>

2. The number of confirmed cases need to remain the same or have been declining for at least a two week period
Hospitalized cases are becoming the new standard, not confirmed cases. "Confirmed cases" are going to continue to rise with the availability of more testing.

3. The directive to social distance needs to be eased And, this is why I was curious as to where your sources were from because USA Volleyball, on March 31, extended their eliminations of sanctions until April 30. USA gymnastics extended through May 10. Meanwhile the US Soccer Federation shut down the youth academy because of financials <article> and other youth soccer clubs are taking registrations.

4. The limit placed on social gatherings would have to be removed by each respective state. The CDC recommended no more than 50 gathering on March 15 for 8 weeks. On the CDC website: Get Your Mass Gatherings or Large Community Events Ready | CDC

Specifically: "If there are ways in which to significantly reduce the number of attendees. For example, for sporting events or school concerts, organizers could consider holding the event but significantly reduce the number of audience members."

NY and NJ said today they are keeping restrictions in place until at least May 15 not that they will be easing come MAy 15.

Edited to fix my tenses :)

Last edited:
Back