All-Star Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I respect your opinion, and I agree, I wouldn't want to be making these decisions. With that said, I do feel there is a point where you have to look at death percentages, recovery rates and weigh the consequences on mental, physical, and financial well being for many years ahead. I have turned TV off, but I'm paying close attention to the stock market, because money never lies. Right now, Alphabet, Microsoft, Adobe, Facebook, Google,Netflix, Visa, Mastercard, Citigroup, Paypal, etc, etc are doing very well. Obviously that makes sense, we are primarily working, schooling, shopping from home, but what is the incentive for these powerhouses to want us to return to normal? There is none. Corporations and the wealthy are heavily invested in these stocks, they will be fine. Those that will hurt the most from virtual learning will be kids in poverty. The small and medium businesses are on life support. I'm well aware my opinion is not a popular one, but I do believe if these billionaires were losing money, this pandemic would be looking much different.

Meet the 11 US billionaires whose fortunes have grown the most during the pandemic | Markets Insider
Yes, everything you just said. It’s time we start really looking at “Balance”...

Questions and just general musings.

I see that choreo camps and such are starting to happen (evident on the social media.)

1. How is your gym navigating these sorts of camps? Especially if you may not be able to stunt?

2. How comfortable are parents right now with proceeding with camps and choreo type fees not knowing if there will be a season?

3. I wonder how much of the choreo is going to be recycled from last season since it never saw the Worlds or Summit floor? Hard because you do want to innovate, depending on how you scored all season, if it ain't broke don't fix it, amiright? (Most teams do a Worlds upgrade and some weren't even competed so why waste it?)

Our gym just completed choreo. It was inside but Masks required for stunting. And It was all brand new choreography - nothing recycled.

I wonder what high school and college football games be like now? Hmm...

Games are being played tonight. Alabama high schools have played the last two Fridays and will again tomorrow. A college game was played in Montgomery AL last Saturday. UAB is playing at home tonight. And South Alabama is playing at Southern Miss tonight.

Crowds are light because of restrictions but the games have been fun.

Games are being played tonight. Alabama high schools have played the last two Fridays and will again tomorrow. A college game was played in Montgomery AL last Saturday. UAB is playing at home tonight. And South Alabama is playing at Southern Miss tonight.

Crowds are light because of restrictions but the games have been fun.
I watched 12 hours of high school football and one college game on tv last week and plan to do the same as much as possible this fall. Those high school games were better than most college and pro games!
My daughter cheers in college and the SEC is not allowing cheerleaders on the sidelines and band cannot perform at halftime. Attendance is reduced to 20% capacity and there are strict tailgating/parking rules. The Game Day atmosphere will be significantly different, but at least there will be a game day.

I watched 12 hours of high school football and one college game on tv last week and plan to do the same as much as possible this fall. Those high school games were better than most college and pro games!
My daughter cheers in college and the SEC is not allowing cheerleaders on the sidelines and band cannot perform at halftime. Attendance is reduced to 20% capacity and there are strict tailgating/parking rules. The Game Day atmosphere will be significantly different, but at least there will be a game day.
What are they allowing cheerleaders to do?

I know Memphis is having a small pep band/squad in the stands. 12 foot social distancing for fans, no concessions, no tailgating. It basically allows the fans who have standing season tickets to get in, and many of them don't get their regular seats. No one is very happy, but at least they are allowed to play. The area numbers are getting better, and UM is talking about allowing more classes to meet in person starting next month.

I thought the “no cheerleaders” thing was stupid by the SEC. USA and Southern Miss had cheerleaders on the sideline last night.

I thought the “no cheerleaders” thing was stupid by the SEC. USA and Southern Miss had cheerleaders on the sideline last night.
It's ridiculous. Especially since they are allowing guests on the sidelines. There is even an additional sideline compared to normal since the visiting cheerleaders won't be there.

Not understanding the NO CHEERLEADERS AT GAMES rules either. Especially for high school.

Sideline cheer is probably the EASIEST part of the gameday experience to modify for social distancing and perform safely.

Options are endless:

*Limit # of cheerleaders participating.

(Ex: Only select group of Varsity cheerleaders at away games. Split A-L or M-Z so only certain last names cheer every home game if squad is huge.)

*Spread girls out in stands around stadium sections (makes for a challenge in calling cheers but it is doable.)

*No poms if germs or touching things are a concern.

*Stick to creating visuals with jumps or tumbling (which crowds seem to like better anyway.)

*Spread out along different yard lines so everyone isn't crowded right in front of student section.

So many ways to make it happen safely if you need to.

Friends in TN and OH have daughters in HS cheer and they are cheering at games (the one in TN was stunting). Our football season has been moved to the spring, so who knows what it will look like here yet.

Not understanding the NO CHEERLEADERS AT GAMES rules either. Especially for high school.

Sideline cheer is probably the EASIEST part of the gameday experience to modify for social distancing and perform safely.

Options are endless:

*Limit # of cheerleaders participating.

(Ex: Only select group of Varsity cheerleaders at away games. Split A-L or M-Z so only certain last names cheer every home game if squad is huge.)

*Spread girls out in stands around stadium sections (makes for a challenge in calling cheers but it is doable.)

*No poms if germs or touching things are a concern.

*Stick to creating visuals with jumps or tumbling (which crowds seem to like better anyway.)

*Spread out along different yard lines so everyone isn't crowded right in front of student section.

So many ways to make it happen safely if you need to.
Compared to a lot of sports/activities, heck even the football game itself, this can be EXTREMELY Covid-friendly.

Back