All-Star Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Right now we are living in a time where having a positive attitude is the best out look on life. Yes, things could be a lot better but they could also be a lot worse then what it is.
I have heard that rumor as well, but until I have confirmation from reliable sources I never believe any of the rumors I hear...lol. I honestly did think about cheering allstar for one more year. But with all I am wanting to do in the next year or so that is college related I think it is time for me to hang up my all-star cheer shoes. Take for instance I am applying for Semester at Sea for Spring 2021, something that has been a dream of mine since the day I found out about this. Sadly, with all-star cheerleading I would not be able to do both of these. I just feel that if I was to try-out for the 2020-2021 season, make a team and not get cut, and then quit during the 2nd half of the season due to Semester at Sea, would make a very selfish person.
Sounds like a great plan. Good for you for knowing when it is time to retire the sneakers!

I tested positive for covid-19 two days ago. Speaking from personal experience of this virus and as a cheerleader who retired at the end of last season, I don’t know why ANYBODY would want to put themselves at risk of getting this horrible virus for cheerleading. I understand there are a lot of complicated circumstances around right now in such a confusing time for many but it’s not worth it. I promise you.

I tested positive for covid-19 two days ago. Speaking from personal experience of this virus and as a cheerleader who retired at the end of last season, I don’t know why ANYBODY would want to put themselves at risk of getting this horrible virus for cheerleading. I understand there are a lot of complicated circumstances around right now in such a confusing time for many but it’s not worth it. I promise you.
Best wishes to you. Here’s to hoping you feel better soon. I’m sorry you have to experience the scariest part firsthand.

Best wishes to you. Here’s to hoping you feel better soon. I’m sorry you have to experience the scariest part firsthand.
Thank you so much. I want to share my experience to keep as many people safe as possible and that includes cheerleaders. I know we dedicate so much of our life to the sport but honestly health is the most important thing. I really hope the remaining gyms pull out of worlds and summit or USASF and varsity make the right call to cancel the events.

I hope you get to feeling better. I realize I don’t know you, but I do hate that you are having to experience this horrible thing first hand. My opinion on this is that some people just don’t realize the seriousness of this and everything that is going on. I am in my last year of being eligible to cheer on a senior level 6 team, and I am ok with how my season has possibly ended. I value not only my health but also the health of my family, friends, teammates, coaches, and everyone who goes to my gym over worlds rings and medals.

Tacking on to this because finally somebody gets it - cheerleading is NOT worth risking getting this virus. I had COVID-19 last month (just got cleared six days ago) and my symptoms were dormant for at least 5 days before they began to show (only reason we know I had it that long was because my job was on Spring Break that week so I literally didn't leave my house after Monday night cheer practice, and I started showing symptoms late Saturday evening). Our gym was supposed to compete at Aloha Grand Championship on that Saturday (same day as UCA) but the competition got cancelled by Varsity, which thank GOD that was the case. I would've competed Saturday because I had no symptoms at that point, and I would've competed Sunday because all I had at that point was a light cough which could've a basic cold and didn't feel that bad yet. If that had been the case, TENS OF THOUSANDS of people would've been exposed who were at that competition, and based on how contagious this thing is, odds are quite a few of them would've caught it.

And for those who may think that if you're younger your safe, so just let the kids compete without spectators or let them practice in their gym and risk it, no. I was hospitalized and put on emergency breathing treatments because I developed pneumonia as a complication of the virus. I'm a relatively healthy and active 26 year old (ancient in the cheer world, but young in the real world) and it destroyed me, I know for a fact if I was old or had asthma or anything along those lines, it would've killed me. I literally could not breath. On the flip side, my husband was 100% asymptomatic, but he still could've spread it to people without knowing he was even a carrier. Imagine how many people who would compete would potentially have it without even knowing, and then grandma comes to watch and BOOM now she has it and she can't fight it off. Anybody who thinks the season should keep going, I don't know how you can possibly justify it at this point, it's mid-April and we just need to call it and hope for next year to start within a reasonable amount of time.

TLDR; no Worlds title, no season, nothing is worth risking getting this. Stay home, don't leave unless you have to, be sad the season is over but just accept it and hope things are better in time for next year. I feel terrible for the seniors right now (trust me, I'm a teacher and my students are devastated), and I understand the sunk costs, but at the end of the day nothing's gonna matter if you die so focus on not doing that for now.

Well after driving 19 hours straight, we made it back to Texas last night. No issues at all. It was actually kinda nice because there was no traffic or construction, so we flew right through. We've done that drive at least 2-3 times a year for the last 10 years, and that was by far the easiest. So at least there are some positives.

If this gives you any indication of how things are going -

I just got an email from my kid's summer camp (out of state) and they are cancelling ALL TERMS (from June to August.)
Stinks but not surprised. My son had applied to a 3 week engineering program at NC State starting mid-July. They canceled that early last week.

A 21 year old college baseball player died in my state last week. No past medical history. Being young does not mean you are safe. Cheerleading is not more important than your life or the life of your loved ones. The only thing that matters right now is the health and safety of you and your family. To say anything else is irresponsible and puts lives pointlessly at risk. Point blank period

Tacking on to this because finally somebody gets it - cheerleading is NOT worth risking getting this virus. I had COVID-19 last month (just got cleared six days ago) and my symptoms were dormant for at least 5 days before they began to show (only reason we know I had it that long was because my job was on Spring Break that week so I literally didn't leave my house after Monday night cheer practice, and I started showing symptoms late Saturday evening). Our gym was supposed to compete at Aloha Grand Championship on that Saturday (same day as UCA) but the competition got cancelled by Varsity, which thank GOD that was the case. I would've competed Saturday because I had no symptoms at that point, and I would've competed Sunday because all I had at that point was a light cough which could've a basic cold and didn't feel that bad yet. If that had been the case, TENS OF THOUSANDS of people would've been exposed who were at that competition, and based on how contagious this thing is, odds are quite a few of them would've caught it.

And for those who may think that if you're younger your safe, so just let the kids compete without spectators or let them practice in their gym and risk it, no. I was hospitalized and put on emergency breathing treatments because I developed pneumonia as a complication of the virus. I'm a relatively healthy and active 26 year old (ancient in the cheer world, but young in the real world) and it destroyed me, I know for a fact if I was old or had asthma or anything along those lines, it would've killed me. I literally could not breath. On the flip side, my husband was 100% asymptomatic, but he still could've spread it to people without knowing he was even a carrier. Imagine how many people who would compete would potentially have it without even knowing, and then grandma comes to watch and BOOM now she has it and she can't fight it off. Anybody who thinks the season should keep going, I don't know how you can possibly justify it at this point, it's mid-April and we just need to call it and hope for next year to start within a reasonable amount of time.

TLDR; no Worlds title, no season, nothing is worth risking getting this. Stay home, don't leave unless you have to, be sad the season is over but just accept it and hope things are better in time for next year. I feel terrible for the seniors right now (trust me, I'm a teacher and my students are devastated), and I understand the sunk costs, but at the end of the day nothing's gonna matter if you die so focus on not doing that for now.

Thank you so so much for sharing your story. Honestly this needs to be disseminated and read throughout the cheer community not just here on the boards because it seems to me a large part of the cheerleading community just doesn’t seem to understand how serious this is.

Brother in law is on the board of a surgery center that does mainly elective surgery and while their respirator is at an area hospital, he and the other surgeons are out of work. According to BIL local politicians and doctors are not speaking in terms of "if" people get COVID19, they are taking in terms of "when" they get it. The priorities are finding drugs/treatments that will help patients with over-reactive immune responses and not overwhelming the hospitals. After that, mass testing for antibodies so they can figure out what percentage has already had it since they're estimating 80% that have had it had no/mild/medium symptoms. He lives in an area with high summer tourism and he said politicians and medical staff aren't as concerned about tourism, because people will disperse and take it back to their own home area and hospitals, therefore, not overwhelming one area. They are more concerned with things such as 4th of July events and school in the Fall, because those are events that are highly populated with local residents and would overwhelm everyone's local hospitals. To state any community or individual is or isn't taking this seriously enough is irrelevant, strategies are being put in place and they will be followed and adjusted as needed. If they say gyms can reopen it will have nothing to do with gyms not taking it seriously enough or being irresponsible, it will be that they feel they can handle the patient load that gyms will generate.

Brother in law is on the board of a surgery center that does mainly elective surgery and while their respirator is at an area hospital, he and the other surgeons are out of work. According to BIL local politicians and doctors are not speaking in terms of "if" people get COVID19, they are taking in terms of "when" they get it. The priorities are finding drugs/treatments that will help patients with over-reactive immune responses and not overwhelming the hospitals. After that, mass testing for antibodies so they can figure out what percentage has already had it since they're estimating 80% that have had it had no/mild/medium symptoms. He lives in an area with high summer tourism and he said politicians and medical staff aren't as concerned about tourism, because people will disperse and take it back to their own home area and hospitals, therefore, not overwhelming one area. They are more concerned with things such as 4th of July events and school in the Fall, because those are events that are highly populated with local residents and would overwhelm everyone's local hospitals. To state any community or individual is or isn't taking this seriously enough is irrelevant, strategies are being put in place and they will be followed and adjusted as needed. If they say gyms can reopen it will have nothing to do with gyms not taking it seriously enough or being irresponsible, it will be that they feel they can handle the patient load that gyms will generate.

I wonder how large events will be handled in the (somewhat) near future - like competition season in the late fall/early winter. Will we be able to have gatherings of tens of thousands of people aka cheer competitions? Just spit balling some curiosities about the future.

i feel like disney would face a lot of liability if they re open and then immediately try and do worlds with thousands of athletes and spectators... All it will take is one person to come down with covid19 or an extreme sickness, and spread it and then the gates of lawsuits and disney blaming would flood in. I cant see disney doing that to themselves, yes they greedy and want that money, but they also aint stupid.
plus according to many this could flare up again come winter, or at least thats what people are worried about. So them holding it at the end of the year could be very up in the air as well.

I wonder how large events will be handled in the (somewhat) near future - like competition season in the late fall/early winter. Will we be able to have gatherings of tens of thousands of people aka cheer competitions? Just spit balling some curiosities about the future.

I think that will depend on how fast they can ramp up antibody testing and what they find out. This morning I heard the US is currently able to generate about 500,000 antibody tests per week. Even if they can ramp up antibody testing substantially, with a population of 325-330 million, it's going to take awhile to get that information. It's only my opinion, but I think sporting events will be virtual or televised until they can get an idea of what percentage of the population has antibodies, and if those antibodies will even prevent people from getting it again.

@UCFKnights07 I think you are assuming Disney and Varsity can make that decision without government blessing and are thinking in terms that somehow this virus can be contained. Currently people are walking around not realizing they have the virus and going to work at hospitals, dr offices, grocery stores, drug stores, gas stations, mechanics, etc and are infecting people daily. Strategies are being made to slowly re-open the economy, and no doubt, they will have more strict requirements at certain places such as limiting numbers, temp testing, mask requirements, hand washing stations, clorox wiping, etc. Sheltering was never about staying at home to prevent lawsuits or stop an unstoppable virus, it was about slowing the infection, not overwhelming our hospitals/staff/supplies, and having time to strategically reopen the economy. Serious question, how long do you think a Disney can stay closed before the thousands of businesses that surround it go under? FYI, the first allocation of SBA loan money is almost gone.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangl...ppp-loan-money-could-be-gone-within-days.html
ETA: I just realized the article is limited to subscribers, but round one of sba loan money is almost gone and needing approval for round two.

Last edited:
Back